Sign in to follow this  
RandomestUser

Does installing Visual Studio Express 2010 break Ad-Aware 8.2?

Has anyone here experienced problems with getting Ad-Aware to run again once they've installed Visual Studio Express 2010?

Today I uninstalled Visual Studio Express 2008 (I removed any software with Visual C++/Visual Basic/Visual Web/SQL Server/Visual C# in its name, *excluding* the redistributables) and proceeded to install the new Visual Studio Express 2010 release. Upon rebooting, Ad-Aware 8.2 no longer loads. Prior to this, it'd ran like a charm.

I get the same error message as many: "Ad-Aware was shut down unexpectedly and has generated an error report." This message appears 3-4 times in rapid succession upon logging in as an admin or a non-admin user. This error seems to differ from the ones that other people in the forum were getting, which happened during scanning. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the latest Ad-Aware version from CNet and despite the software being able to successfully update itself during installation (pre-rebooting), the program is unable to run upon reboot. I was thinking I'd maybe coincidentally run across some malware that was preventing Ad-Aware from loading, but scans via AVG, Windows Defender, and Spybot Search and Destroy turn up negative. Installing 8.1 yields the same results.

I couldn't find any sort of error log, but looking at the Windows event viewer, the error that come up involves a failed assertion statement in a .cpp file where it's expecting a month between 1 and 12. I've tried reinstalling various VC++ 2005/2008 redistributables in the hopes that they'd somehow automagically repair whatever Ad-Aware is trying to do underneath the hood that's broken, but otherwise I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any ideas?

Some info:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
20+ gigs of hard drive space left on the C: drive
8 gigs of RAM
AVG/Windows Defender are resident/active. I use Spybot Search and Destroy as well for periodic scans, but as far as I know, it doesn't stay resident in memory.

Edit: Here's some additional information about what appears in the event log whether I'm running 8.1 or 8.2:

Level: Error
Source: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None

The description for Event ID 0 from source Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Assertion failed: (month > 0 && month < 13) in .\SettingTime.cpp:49 Edited by Addicustard

Read through this topic to see if it helps:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28547"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28547[/url]

[quote name='visitor' post='118955' date='Apr 14 2010, 01:30 AM']Read through this topic to see if it helps:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28547"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28547[/url][/quote]

Wow, thanks for the quick response! That thread is what put me on the "install what redistributables I can find" path in the first place, but unfortunately it didn't seem to solve my problem.

I was able to fix my problem just now by 1) uninstalling Ad-Aware, 2) removing *all* instances of the 2005/2008 VC++ redistributables from add/remove programs, followed by 3) re-installing Ad-Aware. Who knows how many other applications/games I've broken in the meantime by removing the dozen or so redistributables I had out from underneath the software that needs them, but getting my anti-virus/spyware stuff up and running was my main priority.

Good to hear you got it working.

I was wondering, when you uninstalled Visual Studio Express 2008 did it ask you about removing shared files? I usually say no to deleting shared files unless i'm absolutely sure that they are not needed. Most often these are small files and don't use up much hdd space. Better safe than sorry as the say. :D

cressy

[quote name='cressy' post='118959' date='Apr 14 2010, 03:32 AM']I was wondering, when you uninstalled Visual Studio Express 2008 did it ask you about removing shared files? I usually say no to deleting shared files unless i'm absolutely sure that they are not needed. Most often these are small files and don't use up much hdd space. Better safe than sorry as the say. :)

cressy[/quote]

Nope, no warnings or dialog boxes/questions about shared files that may be in use by other software. The only eventful thing that happened was one of the components that was uninstalled (I can't recall which) required a system reboot to complete the uninstall. You bring up a good thought, though. Maybe one of the half dozen or so Visual Studio 2008 uninstallers wasn't playing nicely as opposed to installing the 2010 suite breaking something. :)

Ok thanks for reply. Guess we just chock this up as another one of windows many annoyances. You would think that after a couple decades that microsoft would have improved/fixed windows more than it has. :)

Since this issue is resolved i'll close this topic. If you need more help with this pm a Valued Member to reopen. All others please start a New Topic.

cressy

Hi

I made this morning a clean installation om Visual Web developer 2010 studio express.
[topic="29084"]As this topic (29084)[/topic], covering the same issue, is closed do I submit a new thread as requested.

The symtomps is similar, but the big difference is that I made an installation without removing any previous installations.
I just installed the program - restarted the computer , and kabam AdAware (Free version) are broken :)

I after this uninstalled AdAware, downloaded a new package from the Lavasoft site installed it and the problem persist.

Regards

Gerth

I reopened/merged the 2 topics. Did you try Addicustard's process?

[quote name='Addicustard' post='118958' date='Apr 13 2010, 11:23 PM']I was able to fix my problem just now by 1) uninstalling Ad-Aware, 2) removing *all* instances of the 2005/2008 VC++ redistributables from add/remove programs, followed by 3) re-installing Ad-Aware.[/quote]

[quote name='visitor' post='119020' date='Apr 16 2010, 07:13 AM']I reopened/merged the 2 topics. Did you try Addicustard's process?[/quote]

No I have not tried this.
As I'm developing webpages on this machine and has both Visual Studio 2005 and Microsoft Expressions 3 on this machine so don't I actually want to do this step.
Hard to now what will be malfunctioning afterwards.

Even Addicustard was a bit curious about whats will stop working [quote]...Who knows how many other applications/games I've broken in the meantime by removing the dozen or so redistributables I had out from underneath the software that needs them....[/quote]

As i'm for the moment behind a firewall and running Nod32 on my machine do I feel that my priority is stable programs over also having AdAware Free.
If I was using AdAware Plus as source for protection might my priorities be a bit different.

Regards

// Gerth

Hi :

Also had installed VS 2010 Express and had the same issue, I followed the topics regarding the 8.2.x issue and reverting to 8.1.2 didn't solved the issue. So I uninstalled Ad Aware , and I'm going to wait till a fix is launched

Regards
Miguel Angel

P.S : sometimes these situations happens so I can wait, but indeed I like Ad Aware B)

I have this same issue, though with the professional version rather than the express version. x86 version of Visual Studio 2010 (or, at least, the MSDN site said it was an x86 version but it looked like it was downloading some x64 components), but running Win7 x64 Pro. Edited by QRepo

I'm definitely going to try this. I was completely baffled about why Ad-Aware started popping these up, and the other threads about the problem during a critical scan had me confused because I cannot even *load* the Ad-Aware software.

I had just installed VS 2010 a few days ago so it has the be the problem. I will update to what I find to help anyone else. Thanks, I would have NEVER found the link here if not finding this thread.

edit:
*** UPDATE ***

Like the OP, I found that installing Visual Studio Express 2010 broke my Ad-Aware 8.2 install. I tried installing the older version (8.1 I believe) but still got multiple pop-ups when booting or loading Ad-Aware.

I uninstalled all Visual C++ redistributables listed under Add/Remove programs (Windows 7 Home, 64-bit here). I did *NOT* uninstall Visual Studio Express 2010. I am not sure it works now, but I did leave it in place. However, I did a re-install of Ad-Aware 8.2 and it works fine. Doing a scan now.

Seems that the setup for VSE 2010 borks Ad-Aware or the C++ distributables. Edited by bilbravo

Lavasoft says:

Fix will be released early next week in a webupdate. Monday May 10 or Tuesday May 11

will most likely require reinstall if ad-aware crashes at startup so no update possible.

[quote name='visitor' post='119442' date='May 7 2010, 10:34 AM']Lavasoft says:

Fix will be released early next week in a webupdate. Monday May 10 or Tuesday May 11

will most likely require reinstall if ad-aware crashes at startup so no update possible.[/quote]

Sorry but I don't get it. If ad-aware crashes after applying the fix so it will not work anymore???

Thanks in advance
Miguel Angel

[quote name='Miguel Angel' post='119453' date='May 8 2010, 07:04 PM']Sorry but I don't get it. If ad-aware crashes after applying the fix so it will not work anymore???

Thanks in advance
Miguel Angel[/quote]
That was a direct quote from Lavasoft - I think they mean if Ad-Aware crashes when executed, so Web Update is not available, to try reinstalling. During installation, updates are downloaded and installed before the Ad-Aware service is started.