Sign in to follow this  
renman

Reduce Bloat!

I don't use skins or use any language except English.

You should not install skins or extra languages unless a user wants them, or in the alternative, you should allow deletion and not reinstall them with every update.

Adaware is 3.5 times bigger than Malwarebytes and Superantispyware combined. Cut those of with small hard drives some slack.

I agree that this is not ideal. The volunteer helpers have made requests to Lavasoft about this very issue. Hopefully they will listen and implement this in a future release.

cressy

[quote name='renman' post='119031' date='Apr 16 2010, 12:17 PM']I don't use skins or use any language except English.

You should not install skins or extra languages unless a user wants them, or in the alternative, you should allow deletion and not reinstall them with every update.

Adaware is 3.5 times bigger than Malwarebytes and Superantispyware combined. Cut those of with small hard drives some slack.[/quote]

I agree 100% on this! The install file used to be relatively small and not more than a 1 hour download on dialup (not all of us have access to broadband). The latest version is nearly 93 megs! Why include every language and skin when most users only use English? Detect what a user is using and only download what is applicable during updates.

The reason the installer is so big is that they now bundle Google Chrome with it - although it's an optional install, unfortunately you still have to download it. The Anniversary Edition installer was only 33 mb and once installed, the 5 skins are 19 mb and 8 languages less than 1 mb.