Sign in to follow this  
tampi

Ad-Aware 2008 and SE Personal won't uninstall

I have free Ad-Aware 2008 V 0085/2008 and Ad-Aware SE Personal that won't uninstall. I get this message: "Could not open uninstall. Log file"

My OS is Winxp sp3, IE7

I would love some help on this please. I know that there is no support now for this soft ware, but I am hoping some one might assist me any way please.

Thanks

tampi
  • Like 1

You can try Revo Free Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com). Set it on the highest setting and let it clean remnants afterwards.

[quote name='visitor' post='119163' date='Apr 21 2010, 05:12 PM']You can try Revo Free Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com). Set it on the highest setting and let it clean remnants afterwards.[/quote]

Thanks! :P I'll try it. I've already got CCleaner, which is good but hasn't done the job with this uninstall.

tampi

I have just found out I have the same problem. I uninstalled over a year ago and have found remnant drivers still in the system. I've tried revo & ccleaner with no luck. When I run winmsd it shows this:

[indent][indent]ad-watch connect filter Ad-Watch Connect Kernel Filter

\??\c:\windows\system32\drivers\nsdriver.sys Kernel Driver No

Manual Stopped OK Normal No No

ad-watch real-time scanner AW Real-Time Scanner

\??\c:\windows\system32\drivers\awrtpd.sys Kernel Driver No

Manual Stopped OK Normal No No

ad-watch registry filter Ad-Watch Registry Kernel Filter

\??\c:\windows\system32\drivers\awrtrd.sys Kernel Driver No

Manual Stopped OK Normal No No[/indent][/indent]

Kind of hard to get rid of something that has an invalid address. Bad thing is that it may be what has been blocking a new anti-virus installation.

[quote name='Pugdog10' post='119237' date='Apr 23 2010, 05:14 PM']\??\c:\windows\system32\drivers\nsdriver.sys
\??\c:\windows\system32\drivers\awrtpd.sys
\??\c:\windows\system32\drivers\awrtrd.sys[/quote]
Which version did you uninstall a year ago? I had SE, which I uninstalled manually by removing files, folders, and registry entries (I would have missed these drivers) - then installed AE - but I don't have the files you listed in my driver folder.

Honestly, I didn't know what version it was. Finally found an invoice this morning (after searching most of last night). The version was 2007 Pro but loaded in Feb of '08.

I do remember having to manually uninstall the program. The weird thing is if you go through the control panel and check drivers these Ad-watch drivers don't show up. The only way a tech support guy found them is by running winmsd. However, he was no help when it came to getting rid of them. Last night I tried updating drivers to flag these out as old--nothing. Cleaned the registry and checked the hard drive for hidden partitions too. I've searched for every combo of the names, with and without drive designations--nothing.

I'm really dumbfounded. I have no clue how to tell a computer to find something with an incorrect address.

edited to say: Since I found my old invoice I have used the info to put in a support ticket. Hopefully someone will have an answer. Edited by Pugdog10

I hope they respond to your ticket since they stopped supporting 2007 recently, which they should have done only after all licenses expired. I'd be interested to see what they find. Initially I was thinking it was just an old registry entry, but since you cleaned yours, maybe it's info stored in some MS system file which is only written during installations and not updated with uninstalls.

Finally got a response to the support ticket. If I want to re-new they will help me but otherwise--no. Suggested I run Windows installer cleanup. Unfortunately, that doesn't work with this problem. I'm starting to think the only thing to do is backup important files to an outside source and re-install the operating system.

Hope everyone else has better luck.

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :P

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a me or another staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.