Sign in to follow this  
leppy99

AdAware 822 and Outlook2000

I'm running W2K with Office 2000(and Outlook 2000). I installed AdAware 8.2.2 with all the options. By doing this my Outlook 2000 broke; it would not exit and finally would not even open. I traced the problem down to the AdAware Extra the 'Email Scanner'. Some online research told me to disable this feature BUT the program would not let me; then I read where it told me to go to Add/Remove and uninstall the AdAware Email Scanner. I did that and WOW did that cause some problems. My Antivirus program(Avira AntiVir Personal) quit working and I got an error about a missing dll file(MSVCR90.DLL) when I restarted the computer. I had to reinstall the complete AdAware 8.2.2 to fix the Antivirus program. BUT, here's what I finally ended up doing.
-Download the latest Avira AntiVir program.
-Go to Add/Remove and uninstall the 'Email Scanner. This will cause the Antivirus program to no work.
-Restart the computer.
-Reinstall the Avira Antivirus program.
-Restart the computer
-Update the Avira program.

I ended up without the email scanner but everything else seems to be working.

The reason you had so many problems is because Avira AntiVir has its own email scanner and that caused a conflict with Ad-Aware's email scanner. Also Ad-Aware email scanner is only designed to work with Outlook 2003 or newer versions. It should have been disabled by default during the install of Ad-Aware. But I'm glad to hear that you got it sorted.

cressy

I think Ad-Aware and Avira share files. As late as Feb (version 8.1.4, the last 8.1 update), Ad-Aware updates unpacked files with names similar to Avira's VDF update. Back then, somebody here uninstalled Ad-Aware and it broke Avira. Also around the same time, there was a problem with Ad-Aware deletion of msvcr71.dll needed by other programs. I wouldn't be surprised if Ad-Aware's email scanner is the same as Avira's.

Anyhow, thanks for the info - I'll close this thread now that your problem is resolved. I'll also add this topic to the thread to Lavasoft where I reported the other Avira problem.