Sign in to follow this  
Matthew L

How to get rid of Ad-Aware pop up?

Hi all,

can anybody please tell me how I can get rid of this?

[url="http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/faqs/how-do-i-upgrade-to-the-latest-version-of-adaware"]http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support...sion-of-adaware[/url]

I mean the pop up that says there is a new version available. I keeps on coming up every time I start Ad Aware.
However, I don’t want this update. My pc still shows the scarves from the last doggie Ad-Aware update (Feb 2010), that began with this very same and very promising pop up, but that afterwards had to be removed by a pc-surgeon, because it left my pc clinically dead.

Also, I cannot update def files, because my McAfee virus scanner detects a virus (Artemis!DB1BF0CB369D. Location: Doc&Settings /All Users /Appl. Data/ Lavasoft \Ad-aware \Update\ Toolbox) during the update and blocks the update.
The Ad-Aware helpdesk says it is a false positive (whatever that may be) and that McAfee has to fix this.
Does anybody have the same problem? Would it be an option if I updated manually?

Thank you,

Matthew.

You might try turning off auto updates and/or notifications in the settings. Also try turning off javascript in your browser(s). I haven't seen a definitive solution to the popup posted here. I understand your hesitation to upgrade, but there have been 2 updates since the initial release of 8.2 in Feb, so it's suppose to be more stable than before. The real problem seemed to be conflict of Ad-Aware's File Protection with other security programs - now Ad-Aware automatically disables that module when it detects a conflict.

A false positive is when McAfee detects a legitimate program as malware. When this happens, McAfee needs to be informed so they can fix their definitions. Alternately, you can allow it in the whitelist so it doesn't keep coming up in scans. Recently McAfee goofed by detecting a Windows system file, causing a reboot loop:

[url="http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/348857/Faulty_McAfee_Update_Burns_IT_Execs"]http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/348..._Burns_IT_Execs[/url]

Lavasoft advise for people in your situation is to completely remove Ad-Aware and then reinstall. The reason for this is that when Ad-Aware is installing it will get all updates before it launches the Ad-Aware service bypassing your original problems with getting updates etc. This procedure is working for others that had these problems. And as an added bonus you will stop getting the pop-up.

cressy

Thank you , Visitor and Cressy, for your respons.

However, I’m afraid it does not work.

After (in Feb) I had these major problems with the new version, (on advise and with help from Lavasoft) I deleted the new version and installed the old one again.
After installation, I immediately turned off the auto update to avoid the program from updating to this new version.
But as soon as it connected to the internet for def-updates, this pop up appeared and has been staying since that time.

Frankly I don’t understand why this hast to be.
If people do not want this upgrade, they should have the possibility to turn it off.
All my other software programs have these option (like: “No thank you”, “ Remind me later”, “Don’t show this again”, etc….) and imho it would be a good thing if Lavasoft also would give their clients the opportunity to choose.
Well, I have 2 1/2 years to go with my license. So I hope by that time Lavasoft changed it. ;)

For this Trojan warning I contacted McAfee and asked them what to do. I hope they come up with the solution.

Regards,

Matthew. Edited by Matthew L

[quote name='Matthew L' post='119473' date='May 10 2010, 11:09 PM']After installation, I immediately turned off the auto update to avoid the program from updating to this new version. But as soon as it connected to the internet for def-updates, this pop up appeared and has been staying since that time.[/quote]
If you turned off auto updates but still used Web Update, then it updates both the software and definitions. To update the definitions only requires manual download:

[url="http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/faqs/i-cannot-update-the-definitions-file-what-should-i-do"]http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support...hat-should-i-do[/url]

[quote]You can also manually download and update the definitions file.

1. Download from [url="http://download.lavasoft.com/public/core.zip"]http://download.lavasoft.com/public/core.zip[/url]

2. Extract the file (core.aawdef) directly to the Ad-Aware folder, either:

XP:

* C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Defs

Vista:

* C:\Program Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Defs

(note: You can also go to, update->settings and click 'import' browse to where you have saved (core.aawdef), select this file then click 'open' and 'ok'.)

3. Close and restart Ad-Aware from the System Tray icon.[/quote]

So, if you installed 8.1.0 then it probably updated to 8.1.4, the last version of 8.1, which then gives the pop up. We've recommended to Lavasoft that they separate software and definition updates, but I don't think it's feasible since the software update also includes anti-virus engine updates. I think your best bet is to do a clean uninstall and reinstall 8.2.2, then contact Lavasoft Customer Service if there are problems. They only recommended downgrading to 8.1 before they released a fix. Since 8.2.2 came out, the problems reported here have really dropped off.

Thank you, Visitor.

The version I have on a backup cd is 8.0.0. That was reinstalled in February after I uninstalled the update that caused me so many problems.
However the version on my pc now is 8.1.4. So there has been an update, as you suspected.

And how do I get version 8.1? I suppose that will not be possible.
By clicking “update” I will automatically get the newest 8.2.2 version. And I suppose there will be no difference in that if I update from a fresh installed 8.0 or from the 8.1.4 version I have at the moment.

Of course, if there are no further problems with 8.2.2. it will work fine, the pop up will be gone and I will have the newest version with the best protection.
However, I’m afraid of getting into troubles again. The last time I did this infamous update to the newer version, it took me 2 days to get my pc running again.
Also, I’m afraid McAfee will spoil the installation, just like it does spoil my def-updates.

So, I’m not sure what to do.

As I said before if you completely uninstall Ad-Aware then reinstall using the download from [url="http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Free-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5"]Download.com[/url] it bypasses the problem. When it is done this way it will get the updated files that will bring you up to v8.2.2 before Ad-Aware starts up for the first time. This bypasses all the troubles you experienced in the past with a buggy v8.2. This is the recommendation that Lavasoft staff passed on to us last week.

cressy Edited by cressy

Your key should work - the only problem would be if you tried it on a different computer, in which case you'd need a new hardware fingerprint.

To prevent problems with McAfee, disable it during installation or make sure you've allowed Ad-Aware. I always turn off anti-virus before installations.

It is the same computer, so that is no problem.

Another problem is that McAfee just contacted me and says that there is no solution to my problem.
I no longer can use Lavasoft software, because it causes conflitcs with McAfee.
Now what about that! ;)

No solution to a false positive, that is a crock! That reminds me, Lavasoft has already contacted them about the last false positive, and I updated the thread with your info:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29135"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29135[/url]

It sounds to me like McAfee isn't a team player and is trying to discourage you from using a competitors product. Of course, this can work both ways and you can choose Ad-Aware over McAfee, LOL. Other than their goof deleting a Windows system file, I wasn't going to say anything, but will now - most computer geeks I know say McAfee is worthless now, and I'm starting to believe them, although I haven't used it in years. To be fair, they're also not very fond of Ad-Aware and prefer Avast, AVG, and Microsoft Security Essentials. Personally, I use AVG Free and Ad-Aware AE - no conflicts so far.

[quote name='visitor' post='119482' date='May 11 2010, 03:07 PM']It sounds to me like McAfee isn't a team player and is trying to discourage you from using a competitors product.[/quote]
You can say that again, Visitor.
Usually I’m a friendly guy, but now I’m quite mad. I think McAfee is very arrogant, the way they approach this matter.
I’ve contacted Lavasoft custom service and asked them to help me.
To be continued…… Edited by Matthew L

Well folks, here is the update.

I turned off McAfee and did the Def files update. No problems at all; the Def flies were installed and Ad-Aware worked fine (I did a complete scan, after I turned McAfee on again).
Of course this is a workaround. I.m.h.o. it should work without this trick.

Since the Def files update worked en the program showed no problems, I thought I might as well update to the 8.2. version.
I used the same workaround and there were no problems. I now have 8.2.2 and my computer is running fine.

There is only one thing I cannot tweak; under [i]Ad-Watch Live![/i] I cannot choose [i]Files Protection[/i] (cannot check the box).
When I want to do that it says this is not possible because there is another virus scanner on my system running and choosing this option would slow down the computer.
Further it advises me to remove the other virus scanner from my computer.

Well how about that! :D First McAfee wanted me to delete Ad-Aware and now Ad-Aware wants me to delete McAfee!
But when I installed these programs and it came to money, they both gladly took it from me. :D

OK, back to business: is this behavior of [i]Ad-Watch Live![/i] normal (and should I live with it) or is it a bug?

No you don't have to remove McAfee if want to use it as your virus scanner.

The shutting down of Files Protection(virus scanner) is intentional so that it does not conflict with any other virus scanner if one is detected. That is one of the bug fixes that went into v8.2.1

However if you decide at some point to use Files Protection in Ad-Aware you will have to first disable or remove McAfee.

And I'm glad to hear that you got it all sorted out, you will find that it works much much better than it did back in Feb.

cressy Edited by visitor
correct version number

[quote name='Matthew L' post='119520' date='May 13 2010, 03:23 AM']Well folks, here is the update.

I turned off McAfee and did the Def files update. No problems at all; the Def flies were installed and Ad-Aware worked fine (I did a complete scan, after I turned McAfee on again).
Of course this is a workaround. I.m.h.o. it should work without this trick.

Since the Def files update worked en the program showed no problems, I thought I might as well update to the 8.2. version.
I used the same workaround and there were no problems. I now have 8.2.2 and my computer is running fine.

There is only one thing I cannot tweak; under [i]Ad-Watch Live![/i] I cannot choose [i]Files Protection[/i] (cannot check the box).
When I want to do that it says this is not possible because there is another virus scanner on my system running and choosing this option would slow down the computer.
Further it advises me to remove the other virus scanner from my computer.

Well how about that! :D First McAfee wanted me to delete Ad-Aware and now Ad-Aware wants me to delete McAfee!
But when I installed these programs and it came to money, they both gladly took it from me. :D

OK, back to business: is this behavior of [i]Ad-Watch Live![/i] normal (and should I live with it) or is it a bug?[/quote]

I assume you've got rid of Ad-Aware pop up too?

[quote name='Matthew L' post='119520' date='May 13 2010, 04:23 AM']I now have 8.2.2 and my computer is running fine. There is only one thing I cannot tweak; under [i]Ad-Watch Live![/i] I cannot choose [i]Files Protection[/i]. When I want to do that it says this is not possible because there is another virus scanner on my system running.[/quote]
Not sure when you updated to 8.2.2, but now there's version 8.2.3 released this week. It's interesting Lavasoft may have added McAfee to the detection list due to the false positive issue. When version 8.2.1 was initially released in March, Lavasoft told us McAfee was an exception to the Files Protection being turned off.

Sorry folks, I made a slip with my fingers yesterday. The version I now have is 8.2.3.
So you might be right, Visitor. But I must say that I'm not a wizkid and my knowledge of computers is very limited.

[quote name='cressy' post='119523' date='May 13 2010, 02:22 PM']The shutting down of Files Protection(virus scanner) is intentional so that it does not conflict with any other virus scanner if one is detected. That is one of the bug fixes that went into v8.2.1[/quote]
OK, thank you Cressy. I did not know that.

But anyway, I’m very glad my computer is running fine after this update.
And of course, the popup is gone!
Thank you all for your help.

I now must wait and see what is going to happen the next time I update for Def files.
I will keep you informed. Edited by Matthew L