Sign in to follow this  
martinsmithson

unsecapp.exe

Since installing version 8, and now updated to 8.2.3, I notice that whenever I enable Ad-Aware it (or Windows XP SP3) invokes a Windows (application or program) process named unsecapp.exe

The best Microsoft explanation that I have found, thus far, states that "The Unsecapp.exe application is used to send results back to a client in a process that may not have permissions to be a DCOM service."

I would like to know why this Windows (application or program) process is invoked whenever Ad-Aware is enabled or engaged.

Thanks,

Martin Edited by martinsmithson

Sorry for the delay.

This issue has been reported to Lavasoft.

[quote name='SpySentinel' post='119809' date='May 28 2010, 12:37 PM']Sorry for the delay.

This issue has been reported to Lavasoft.[/quote]

And here we are, SIX WEEKS LATER, and the PROBLEM HAS NOT BEEN FIXED OR RESOLVED.

Reported?

B.S.

Sorry, our discussion was inconclusive as Lavasoft believes it may be Windows related. I can't link to the topic, but I'll post the discussion:

LS = Lavasoft, VM = Valued Member, Me = visitor

LS
Are we sure this relates to Ad-Aware?
I was not able to recreate that.
After manually ending the unsecapp.exe and restarting AAW 8.2.3 unsecapp.exe did not restart.

VM
That process is running on my system too. Was never quite sure what was causing it to run. Next time i restart my computer, not sure when that will be, i'm going to open msconfig and stop Ad-Aware from loading and see if unsecapp loads. Actually i just made the changes to msconfig so that i won't forget. I would like to know what is going on with this too.

Process explorer shows that the parent is svchost -k DcomLaunch

Me
I think this only happens when starting AAW as on-demand scanner only. With Anniversary Edition, Ad-Watch modules all turned off, unsecapp.exe starts when AAW is executed (Ad-Aware.exe, AAWTray, and AAWService all started).

If you end the unsecapp.exe process, close the GUI (Ad-Aware.exe ends, but AAWTray and AAWService still running), then reopen the GUI (restarting Ad-Aware.exe), then unsecapp.exe does not restart.

However, if you exit Ad-Aware completely by right-clicking the tray icon (ending all 3 AAW processes) then restart, unsecapp.exe also restarts.

VM
I have Ad-Watch Live Real-Time protection turned on so i think that assumption is wrong.

But thanks for confirming that it is Ad-Aware that is causing this process to start.

Me
Not necessarily wrong - Anniversary Edition may behave differently than 8.2.3. I was trying to determine which Ad-Aware process triggers unsecapp.exe

LS
So,just to clarify, does this relate to 8.2.3?
thanks!

Me
Yes, the original poster and VM cressy both see it with 8.2.3. I just detailed what I observed using AE.

LS
I would put this down to relating to Windows operations. It also seems to be system specific.
Ad-Aware is not trying to start the Process.
I wonder what Microsoft would have to say about it... (?!)
There is actually not alot of published info to look at.

Funny!

My family members included 54, as in fifty-four, PCs. As the family computer expert, I routinely assist with PC maintenance, software and hardware. Having installed Ad-Aware 8.2.0 on 51 of 54 PCs last Fall 2009, I can PERSONALLY attest to the FACT that 51 of 51 PCs, with Windows XP SP2 and SP3 operating systems, a few Linux and 6 MACs - all have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM THAT MARTIN HAS DESCRIBED. Therefore, as a seemingly ordinary software engineer, I can only conclude that your discussion with LS is either misrepresented or simply manufactured. Given the fact that 51 of 51 PCs have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, with 3 different operating systems, any other conclusion would simply be B.S.

CurlySue Edited by visitor
deleted quote

[quote name='CurlySue' post='121001' date='Jul 11 2010, 11:06 PM']I can only conclude that your discussion with LS is either misrepresented or simply manufactured.[/quote]
I copy/pasted the entire thread's content, believe it or not. Considering I'm a volunteer, doesn't it seem far-fetched I'd make up such a discussion? B)