Sign in to follow this  
voltron

Ad-Aware Client Upgrade, Then Downgrade

Hello:

A while ago, my Ad-Aware Plus client was upgraded, via manually running Web Update, from version 8.0.8 to 8.1.3. A few days ago, when I manually executed Web Update, I noticed that my Ad-Aware client was downgraded from 8.1.3 to a newer "older" version of 8.0.9. My original installation was of Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition (a.k.a. version 8.0.0). I have been hesitant to use Web Update the past few days, not knowing what version change may occur next. Now, with version 8.0.9, what version of Ad-Aware will I automatically get, if I manually run Web Update? Do the volunteers know of any additional changes coming, regarding client upgrades/downgrades of Ad-Aware, originally installed as Anniversary Edition, version 8.0.0? For those who originally installed Anniversary Edition, version 8.0.0, what version of Ad-Aware are you getting from Web Update, today?

Thank you.

That does not make sense to me that they would push a downgrade on you. Don't know what is going on there.

There is a much newer version(2010 Version) out now that has increased capabilities that you could use with your paid subscription. The Anniversary Edition is still supported so you can stay with that one if you like.

However, the 2010 version of Ad-Aware version 8.2.3 boosts protection with advanced anti-malware technology, new usability features, and fresh community-based initiatives - giving you all the power you need to stay safe online. The new 2010 product lineup includes Ad-Aware Free Anti-Malware, Ad-Aware Plus Internet Security, and Ad-Aware Pro Internet Security.

For best upgrading results you should go into add/remove programs and uninstall your old Ad-Aware before installing the new one.

cressy

[quote name='Voltron' post='119539' date='May 14 2010, 10:51 AM']Do the volunteers know of any additional changes coming, regarding client upgrades/downgrades of Ad-Aware, originally installed as Anniversary Edition, version 8.0.0? For those who originally installed Anniversary Edition, version 8.0.0, what version of Ad-Aware are you getting from Web Update, today?[/quote]
Lavasoft doesn't share much info about version 8.2 let alone 8.0 - it sounds like a mixup on the file server. I recommend contacting customer support (link in my signature) to let them know so they can sort it out, but most likely they'll tell you the same as cressy - uninstall 8.0 and reinstall 8.2.3. I still use AE 8.0.3, but cannot tell you what happens with Web Update since I only update the definitions, not the software. Since 8.0.3 seems to work properly, I never wanted to risk getting a newer buggy version.