Sign in to follow this  
tonylukac

Splash screen does not properly time out

On a slow computer, when first booting after a long time and Adwatch live is disabled (it has to start up), when starting Ad-Aware the spash screen doesn't properly time out if it takes longer than about 10 minutes to initialize the service. It is necessary to either reboot or go into task manager and end the task to start Ad-Aware. The second complaint is why does it take so long for the Ad-Aware service to start? Having Adwatch live going on a pretty recent (2005) laptop is a slowness exercise in futility. Perhaps Visual C++ or whatever you use is too much of a pig, and you need to switch to assembler. Clock speeds aren't getting faster.

Hello:

I completely agree that it takes too long for the AAWService.exe to fully initialize, upon a system startup. I have also tested Symantec Endpoint Protection, on my system, and it loads up rather quickly. This started being a problem near the end of Ad-Aware SE's lifespan. Like that version, it takes AE and 8.x nearly one minute or longer to fully initialize the AAWService.exe, upon system startup. If one looks at the Task Manager and peak memory usage for the AAWService.exe, when the service has been fully initialized, the peak memory usage has reached over 327 MB! And, while the service is initializing, it hogs up nearly 100% of the CPU. It would be wonderful if Lavasoft would address these issues. I have contacted Lavasoft over these issues, but, never received a resolution. Are others experiencing these issues?

Thanks for bringing this to others' attention.

My computer is 10 years old and i'm not seeing the problems you're having and i have a lot of stuff starting up at boot time too.

One suggest would be to see what programs you have in start-up that you could maybe delay starting or even find some that you don't need and turn off to decrease the load at boot up.

cressy