Sign in to follow this  
tdoor

Ad-Aware and Hosts File

I use the [url="http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm"]MVPS Hosts File[/url] to block certain sites I don't want accessing my computer. Ad-Aware recognizes these changes to the Hosts file as redirect attempts, which it should, because they are. The problem is that is automatically "fixes" them and I don't see an option that lets me allow just those entry changes.

I want it to keep scanning the Hosts file for legitimate redirect attempts, but I also want it to leave the changes that I consciously made alone.

Ideally I'd like it to ask my permission before automatically fixing anything it finds, but that specifically is a bit of a headache.

Thanks!

Make sure you scan in advance mode (bottom left corner) - in simple mode, Ad-Aware automatically takes pre-defined actions. Advanced mode should let you choose to ignore. I'm not sure how many hits your getting, but I think if you make the hosts file read-only, it will prevent changes, but then Ad-Aware may not be able to act on legit threats.

That's good news. I'll close this topic now that it's resolved. If you need it reopened, PM a moderator or start a new one :D