Sign in to follow this  
tafkam

Will Ad Aware Plus 8.2.3 work with AVG Free?

I've just installed Ad Aware Plus 8.2.3 but am wondering if it will conflict with the AVG Free anti-virus program that I already have installed on my computer? I know that it is not advisable to have two AV programs running on the same computer and I am wondering if I should uninstall AVG? I have Windows Vista and the windows security centre is telling me that AVG is protecting my computer from viruses, so does this mean that Ad Aware Plus AV is not protecting me from viruses and is therefore not conflicting with AVG?

I'm not too sure if Ad Aware Plus is a full blown anti virus program and if it would give me full adequate AV protection if it were the sole AV program on my computer. Can anyone please advise? Edited by tafkam

Hi tafkam, Welcome to the Lavasoft Support Forum :)

Ad-Aware Plus 8.2.3 (2010) does indeed have AntiVirus protection. Just like any other situation, it is never good to run two AntiVirus programs because they can conflict with each other and cause issues. I would recommend you remove AVG anyway, as they are not good as they once were.

Here is a chart that shows the different versions of Ad-Aware and what they include:
[url="http://lavasoft.com/download_and_buy/product_comparison_chart.php"]http://lavasoft.com/download_and_buy/produ...rison_chart.php[/url]

Hello, tafkam:

An additional suggestion would be to disable the anti-virus engine of the Ad-Watch component, so as not to conflict with AVG's real-time anti-virus engine. Then, whenever you run a scan with one program, be certain the other program's real-time component is fully disabled, so as not to cause problems.

Just a thought... Edited by Voltron

One more thing to consider - Ad-Aware's Ad-Watch Live! has a files protection module which is automatically disabled when other anti-virus programs are detected - this was done to prevent conflicts. So, if you uninstall AVG, make sure to do a thorough, clean uninstall and confirm that Ad-Aware files protection is running.

[quote name='visitor' post='119797' date='May 28 2010, 06:30 AM']One more thing to consider - Ad-Aware's Ad-Watch Live! has a files protection module which is automatically disabled when other anti-virus programs are detected - this was done to prevent conflicts. So, if you uninstall AVG, make sure to do a thorough, clean uninstall and confirm that Ad-Aware files protection is running.[/quote]

Hello, I did install Ad-Aware Plus with AVG Free still on and found that File Protection is disabled. After uninstalling AVG will I have to reinstall Ad-Aware Plus? - what is best?
I still have the downloaded installer but I only got this from a 24-hr promo from V3.co.uk software store,, does this mean I just threw away this promo? Is Ad Aware still safe to use by itself if this feature has been disabled?

Hello,

Installed Ad Aware Plus over AVG Free so the Ad Watch File Protection was automatically turned off. How to turn it back on? Edited by visitor

Helen Grace, I merged your 2 topics since they're both about AVG and Ad-Aware. As long as AVG is installed, Ad-Aware automatically disables file protection and there's no way to turn it back on. It's still safe to use Ad-Aware, but it may only catch a bad file during a scan instead of in real time, but in that case, hopefully AVG's real-time protection would catch it. If you uninstall AVG, I *think* Ad-Aware file protection will work again, but not absolutely sure. I don't think it stores info on what's installed, rather it probably checks to see what anti-virus processes are running when Ad-Aware loads.

AVG vs. Ad-Aware - which is better is a matter of opinion. Since I hope these security companies keep up with emerging theats, I usually go with the programs which are easier to use.

@visitor,

Thanks for replying, I'd like to be able to use only 1 prog if possible and since Ad Aware Plus seems to be more complete I'd like to use it only. If I had known that some of its features will be disabled cz of AVG I would have uninstalled AVG first. A better thing for Ad Aware Plus/Pro to do is to inform the user to first uninstall the conflicting app(ie AVG)or at least warn that some of the features will be disabled if you continue without uninstalling the other AV. Is there any way of knowing for sure if the File Protection feature will go back if AVG is uninstalled? or if not then what's the best thing to do to get it working?

Best thing would be to do a clean uninstall of AVG using Revo Free Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com), on the highest setting it will remove it completely as well as any bits left behind. Then reboot so Ad-Aware can reinitialize without AVG.

If for some reason Ad-Aware stored info about AVG on your system, and file protection doesn't work, you may need to use Revo to uninsall Ad-Aware too, then reinstall. I think it's unlikely though, it makes more sense that Ad-Aware would simply check running processes when it's started since people are constantly uninstalling/installing various security software. Edited by visitor

I have uninstalled AVG using the regular uninstall then AVGcleaner and even deleted some folders in registry and explorer still A-A Ad-Watch File Protection is OFF. I would like to add that I also uninstalled the BitDefender online scan just in case still its OFF. Right now other left security progs are Spybot S&D(turned off and disabled hosts and ie protection), Outpost Firewall Free and MS Malicious File Rem Tool and GMER(both are executables and not installed). A-A Ad-Watch File Protection is still OFF. I will try the Revo Uninstaller (the Full 30day trial-better than the free dont u think?) Do you advise that I remove all or some of these?

Update: I have tried Revo Uninstaller and it found no trace of AVG. What to do now? Edited by HelenGrace

It may have been cleaner to use Revo first instead of AVG's uninstaller and cleaner - not sure how thorough AVG is, but I've seen Revo recommended here and elsewhere. The reason Revo can't find AVG now is that it first looks for the factory uninstaller, then proceeds to cleanup any leftovers. It may stop if it can't find the uninstaller.

When you say Spybot is turned off, you mean the resident (real-time) protection TeaTimer and SDHelper?

I think you're right that MS Malicious File Removal Tool and GMER should not trigger it since they're not real-time protection and Lavasoft said nothing about firewalls, only anti-virus.

This is discouraging that Ad-Aware seems to remember and is not merely looking at running processes. I dug around in the back and found cressy did report this to Lavasoft April 2: [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29001"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29001[/url]

Also, electropop2 just reported the same problem after uninstalling NOD32 and avast: [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29312"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29312[/url]

Right now, I think your options are:

1) uninstall Ad-Aware with Revo and reinstall to see if it still sees AVG.

2) keep your other programs and live without Ad-Aware's files protection until Lavasoft addresses the problem. Lavasoft has not yet replied to the report in April, and I just bumped the thread to include this and electropop2's threads.

and most importantly

3) As a paying customer, you should contact Lavasoft Customer Suppport via the link in my signature. That way the problem gets logged for sure, and if you find an answer, please post back here :D Edited by visitor

Thanks visitor,

The above support link seems to be only for 'boxed' license and I clarify that I just got the A-A Plus from a promo by an online software store for free, I dont have any license number, they say its just 'embedded'. I'm worried that if I uninstall this I might lose the 1 yr license. Are you sure I dont have to uninstall Spybot S&D? I also want to clarify, if A-A Ad-Watch File Protection is OFF does this mean I absolutely have no real-time protection?

Sorry, forgot you had the promo version. Not sure if you need to uninstall Spybot - not even sure if it's on the Ad-Aware conflict list since technically it's not anti-virus. Although Spybot warns of potential conflict with Ad-Aware, I'm not sure if Lavasoft feels the same way.

With file protection off, you still have real-time protection with the other Ad-Watch Live! modules - in Ad-Aware Plus, you have protection for processes and registry. Also, any malicious files will still be detected during an Ad-Aware scan.

Hello [i]visitor[/i] and all other forum members and readers,

With the other Ad-Watch Live modules, my understanding is that they only scan 'on-access or on-execution', the File Protection is the only 'realtime background scanner', am I correct or not?. Do you also have the Plus/Pro? I just wonder if anybody with the Plus/Pro have got Spybot S&D and have same prob. So since I have a promo version where do I contact for support or do I qualify for any?

You're correct if you're talking about malicious files only, but the processes and registry modules are another form of real-time protection, i.e. Ad-Aware will warn you [i]before[/i] changes are made.

Somebody else will have to answer the Spybot question - I've run it alongside Ad-Aware, both with real-time components on, with no conflicts, but I'm running Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition which doesn't have the file protection module.

I don't think you'll qualify for Lavasoft Support since you're not a paying customer. When that free promotion ran, there was nothing about it on Lavasoft's site and none of the team members here knew about it when I posted the info.

[quote name='visitor' post='119843' date='May 29 2010, 05:54 PM']When you say Spybot is turned off, you mean the resident (real-time) protection TeaTimer and SDHelper?

This is discouraging that Ad-Aware seems to remember and is not merely looking at running processes. I dug around in the back and found cressy did report this to Lavasoft April 2: [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29001"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29001[/url]

Also, electropop2 just reported the same problem after uninstalling NOD32 and avast: [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29312"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29312[/url]

Right now, I think your options are:

1) uninstall Ad-Aware with Revo and reinstall to see if it still sees AVG.

2) keep your other programs and live without Ad-Aware's files protection until Lavasoft addresses the problem. Lavasoft has not yet replied to the report in April, and I just bumped the thread to include this and electropop2's threads.[/quote]

I mean about Spybot I unchecked everything, tea-timer and sdhelper - so is it in passive mode only? also does A-A have a 'repair' function wherin you uninstall it but leaving the license details then when u install it back you dont need to enter a license code(since i dont have one)? and has lavasoft not yet replied how will I know if they replied to you(visitor)?

With TeaTimer and SDHelper off, Spybot is a passive on-demand scanner only - no resident protection is running. I don't thing Ad-Aware has the repair function you're looking for, at least I've never seen it mentioned in the manual. If Lavasoft posts info in our bug threads, we pass along the info by posting it in the relevant topics.

Hello visitor and everyone,

I just solved it!!! I decided to uninstall Spybot S&D and A-A Plus worked as it should! but only after much patience. First(take note) I removed Spybot S&D 'immunization' then uninstalled(using Revo Uninstaller). After uninstalling Spybot S&D I restarted and manually removed all trace files from registry and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SpyBot S&D ran CCleaner and Disk Cleanup(the last few steps after uninstalling with Revo I did just to be sure but maybe unnecessary) then I restarted and updated A-A which did take quite a while and after it initialized I went to settings and walla! Ad-Watch Files Protection could be checked! :D but heres where u hav2be really patient cz it then 'did SEEM TO FREEZE'. Upon just luckily deciding to move the mouse pointer I found it was still movable and when placed on top of the A-A window turned into an hourglass pointer which means 'wait'(at least thats what I understand) but u cant right click or press the START or ANYTHING at all like open Task Mgr, so I said to myself - just be patient and GIVE IT A CHANCE and I literally PRAYED :lol:. After about 20 mins, which seemed like so long, everything was back to normal and the 'FILE PROTECTION' shield was now ON. YES!

I have a few suggestions to A-A:
1)Have a suggestions thread in the forums; 2)The program could let the user know it was still LOADING, like maybe a running bar or other graphic cz some users might think their whole system hungup when in fact all they needed was a bit of patience; 3)When installing, the program could let the user know that there were conflicting progs installed and that these had to be uninstalled for A-A to work. I don't like the method wherein it disables some of its funtions-thats like saying these other progs are better and A-A gives way(are they?); 4)A-A still has a 'BETA' feel to it cz the help files, FAQs, guides still need some improvement and the prog still seems unpolished and it seems not stated that when in 'simple mode' it tends to run in automatic and could possibly have an FP this way which could render PCs/progs unusable(is this right?) so I run the Advanced mode where you have a bit more control(it's not really 'Advanced' just more controllable).

A-A has a lot of potential to it, I can feel that it's a really very good prog, just a little bit more to make it really great-I saw in a recent PC Mag review that in most important areas A-A is definitley better than Malwarebytes,AVG and even Kaspersky, so when it comes to protection it should be in Top10 out of hundreds. Thanks a whole lot to Lavasoft, v3.uk and Raymond CC. I'm really lucky to have somehow found that promo. By the way I have a hunch the av eng is related to vipre?-which is very good. Hope this could help other A-A Plus/Pro users who have same type probs-first thing to do is uninstall every other security app which have active scanners, Anti-virus or Anti-Spyware, It wont do to just to turn them off. Then have some patience. Edited by HelenGrace