Sign in to follow this  
HelenGrace

A-A Plus incompatible with Sandboxie?

Good day to all,

Just after Ad-Watch File Protection had become activated my laptop freezed up twice already(this had never freezed up before). I notice this happened always after I close the browser(IE8) which I use with Sandboxie. After I close the browser for a minute or 2 the mouse pointer still moves but I can't click on anything or right click then it too freezes up with a beep so at this point I just push the power button to shut the laptop down. I use a Toshiba Satellite L30 with Windows XP Home SP3, real time security app is Ad-Aware Plus by itself. Just recently uninstalled AVG and Spybot S&D after which the Ad-Watch File Protection feature was enabled. Is this incompatibility between A-A Plus and Sandboxie or maybe something else? Edited by HelenGrace

First time I've heard of this. I haven't experienced the problem, but I use IE7 and Anniversary Edition. I posted a bug report to Lavasoft, but for the record, what version of Sanboxie? Last month, after a Win XP update, I needed to update to Sandboxie 3.442.0.0.

Hello visitor,
I also have SB3.442. The freezing just happened again twice this morning everytime just after I close the browser. Right after I close the 'sandboxed IE8' my mouse pointer still moves but I can't click anything w/ it then after a few minutes it also freezes with a beep so I'm left with no choice but to turn off with the power button. Similar situation 4 times already since my Ad-Watch Files Protection was enabled.

[quote name='HelenGrace' post='119904' date='Jun 1 2010, 05:43 PM']I decided to just wait after I close the sandboxed IE8 and the system seems to freeze and after appx 5 mins. everything is good again. So it seems to be a momentary freeze (about 5 mins) after I close a sandboxed IE8(happens maybe 60%). I compared this with using IE8 not sandboxed and this momentary freeze after closing never happens so its something between A-A Ad-Watch Files Protection and closing a sandboxed IE8. Although 'I can live with it' its just a slight inconvenience to have to wait about appx 5 mins(I hope it will disappear and not get longer) for the laptop to function again. Since your also using IE(although its 7)have you not experienced this freezing when closing the sandboxed IE?[/quote]
I not only use IE7, but also Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition which does not have the files protection. So, I have not experienced the same problem. Still no response from Lavasoft in my bug topic, but since then there has been an update to version 8.2.4. Let me know if you've updated and still have the problem so I can edit my bug thread.

Thanks, I updated the bug thread - the changelog for 8.2.5 didn't list Sandboxie as one of the fixes, so they haven't addressed the problem yet.

Hello visitor and all,

Its now 8.2.6 and still freezes for appx 5 mins after closing ie8 in sandbox, still no sandboxie fix(maybe its only my laptop having this issue?any1 else have this issue pls respond). Also, What happens this July when A-A Plus seems not2be in the new product lineup, will it still be supported as A-A Plus, and if so what will its advantage over A-A Free be if any(since Free will also have AV), or will it become A-A Free? Anyone else using ie8 with sandboxie have this freezing issue?cz if its only my laptop, it might not get fixed(bad4me). Looking forward to reply and fix.

The 8.2.6 update only corrected the problem detecting cookies with some browsers. Still no acknowledgement from Lavasoft in the bug thread. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for more replies here - I don't think Sandboxie is widely used, even though it should be. It must have something to do with File Protection having troubles accessing the sandbox since it's secured from the rest of the system.

Not sure how Lavasoft will support their current Plus licenses. I'm guessing they'd upgrade everyone with Plus and Pro to the new Total Security if it's the only paid version, but you'd have to contact sales or support to answer that one.

First of all I'd like to say THANKS A MILLION :) to Lavasoft for upgrading all A-A Plus to Pro. A-A has been very good performance wise and is indeed worth renewing(so far) except for this slight glitch with Sandboxie. If this could be fixed or maybe A-A will develop their own browser sandbox(I dont like to sandbox other progs) so I won't need Sandboxie then A-A Pro would just be about perfect for me. It's GREAT but could even be EXCELLENT.

So you still have the same problem after upgrading to 8.2.3 Pro? If so, I'll update this topic title and the one to Lavasoft.

[quote name='visitor' post='120852' date='Jul 9 2010, 05:45 AM']So you still have the same problem after upgrading to 8.2.3 Pro? If so, I'll update this topic title and the one to Lavasoft.[/quote]

Its version 8.3 Pro now. Yes its still freezing for about 5 mins everytime I close a sandboxed IE8. 'visitor' u should change your name to 'resident' -Thanks for responding :unsure:

[quote name='HelenGrace' post='120872' date='Jul 8 2010, 11:46 PM']'visitor' u should change your name to 'resident'[/quote]
LOL ;)

I updated the info to Lavasoft. No replies yet, but I know they're looking at them since they've already responded directly to some other 8.3 topics.

Hello visitor,

It's been some time but has the issue with sandboxie been fixed? visitor since u also use sandboxie, although different A-A version, I want to ask if recently you have had trouble using it cz in my case it has become unusable. Every time I open a sandboxed browser (ie8) I get an error but if I open ie8 without sandboxie its works fine. I don't know if this is somehow related to my prob(the temporary freeze when I close a sandboxed ie8) which I thought was somehow due to A-A.

Also, I noticed during A-A updating the AAWService.exe stops running in Task Mgr, does this mean temporarily not being protected by A-A while it is updating? Edited by HelenGrace

No problems with Sandboxie 3.442 and IE7. Did you click on the error to look up the specifics at their website? Remember last time, it was due to a Windows update and it took them a couple days to release a fix. Then again, it doesn't take long to uninstall/reinstall Sandboxie. As for the Ad-Aware conflict, nothing still from Lavasoft.

You're right - I think if AAWService stops during update, you're unprotected as the program needs to load the new definitions and any software. But from what I understand, Ad-Aware is using near 100% resources, so not sure anything can get through during that time, LOL. A lot of people have been saying their system is unusable during the update instead of it working quietly in the background.

Hello visitor,

I have uninstalled and reinstalled sandboxie to the latest version 3.48 in the end since A-A Pro and sandboxie combined seem to cause the freezing everytime I close a sandboxed ie8, I just decided to remove sandboxie altogether and install google chrome, which already has a built-in sandbox. There is something about licensing in the 3.48 version of sandboxie which I dont quite understand and i just did not bother to understand it much since i stopped using it anyway. One thing I do like about A-A is that during update the computer is VERY USABLE. No feedback at all if indeed Sandboxie and A-A Pro combined result in the same freezing that I get everytime I close a sandboxed ie8 or was this just unique to my particular laptop?

Thanks again for the help.

It's too bad you had to uninstall Sandboxie since it also lets you run other apps too, so you can test software and such without actually installing it. I saw the last 2 Sandboxie updates changed the licensing issues, but I think it's for the paid version, so I didn't bother to download it.

No feedback at all from Lavasoft - I suspected as much since there aren't many Sandboxie users. Maybe they'll get around to it eventually, but it's probably far down the list. I'm curious to know what causes it - the differences between AAW 8.0+IE7 and 8.3+IE8.