Sign in to follow this  
jeffg46

Still getting "Failed to connect to service"

I have followed each step on the "unable to connect to service" sticky, and I still cannot get the program to open. I have removed every program that I thought might interfere, BitDefender and IOBit Advanced System Care and Security 360. I have installed Ad-Aware, removed it with Revo, and reinstalled it a couple of times with a fresh install program download. I have also entered the instructed command at the CMD prompt.

Despite all of these, there is still no path to executable on the properties page (right click on Lavasoft Ad Aware in Services) in the Services menu. My guess is that is why the program cannot open - there is no instruction as to where to look to open the program. I can't figure out how to get an address in there, and therefore still get the "unable to connect to service" message..

Are there any other tricks to try? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Are you trying to install Anniversary Edition 8.0 or the latest version 8.2?

I'm using Anniversary Edition and the pathway for the service executable is:
"C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe"

If you don't have AAWService.exe at that location, try the command syntax in this post:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=27314&st=0&p=111919&#entry111919"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry111919[/url]

[quote name='visitor' post='119920' date='Jun 2 2010, 07:05 PM']Are you trying to install Anniversary Edition 8.0 or the latest version 8.2?

I'm using Anniversary Edition and the pathway for the service executable is:
"C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe"

If you don't have AAWService.exe at that location, try the command syntax in this post:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=27314&st=0&p=111919&#entry111919"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry111919[/url][/quote]

I was using their latest install file. It stopped working quite a while ago, and I figured their newest would be more likely to work. It didn't. The CMD string you linked to is the same as referenced on the sticky referring to this problem, and it didn't work, but thanks. I assumed that after entering it at the prompt, I should hit enter to insert it. I got the long Syntax explanation, so I figured it did what it was supposed to do, but no result after rebooting. I even re-downloaded the install file, and cleaned about everything off my system I thought might be interfering. After uninstalling using Revo, I tried again with the same results.

And, for what it's worth, the actual error message is, "Failed to connect to service". I got it wrong in my original post.

Thanks a lot, though. Edited by jeffg46

[quote name='jeffg46' post='119929' date='Jun 3 2010, 07:44 AM']I was using their latest install file . . . The CMD string you linked to is the same as referenced on the sticky referring to this problem.[/quote]
OK, since you're using the latest installer, I'm going to move this from the Anniversary Edition forum to the 8.2 users forum. The command syntax in my post is slightly different than in the sticky - the user got it to work by placing quotes around the binpath parameter. But it may be irrelevant since the sticky refers to Anniversary Edition and the other refers to 8.1. I'm not sure if 8.2 has the same pathway or not since I still use Anniversary Edition.

Same issue here. I have uninstalled and reinstalled at least 6 times so far, using links provided by Lavasoft, who tell me there is no difference to the install software. I continue to get the 'failed to connect to service' error message. Adaware is not even listed in my services folder, although it is visible in the programs but will not connect. Is this a lavasoft issue? I don't even know how long it's been disconnected, because the only way I noticed was when I realized that the ad watch logo had disappeared from the task bar. I have never had problems with this software before and liked it so much I purchased a 3 year license. I'm very concerned that my computer is now at significant risk and no one seems to be able to tell me why. Any help out there???

[quote name='!Winjy' post='120582' date='Jun 28 2010, 05:40 PM']Same issue here. I have uninstalled and reinstalled at least 6 times so far, using links provided by Lavasoft, who tell me there is no difference to the install software.

I purchased a 3 year license. I'm very concerned that my computer is now at significant risk and no one seems to be able to tell me why. Any help out there???[/quote]
Did you see this sticky topic atop the forum?

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=27351"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=27351[/url]

If none of the suggestions work, you need to hound Lavasoft Support for answers since you have a 3 yr license. They're the software developer and need to support their paying customers since they're much more knowledgable about their product than the free version board members here.

[quote name='visitor' post='120586' date='Jun 29 2010, 03:48 AM']Did you see this sticky topic atop the forum?

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=27351"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=27351[/url]

If none of the suggestions work, you need to hound Lavasoft Support for answers since you have a 3 yr license. They're the software developer and need to support their paying customers since they're much more knowledgable about their product than the free version board members here.[/quote]

I have been hounding...believe me. The latest reply (and I quote exactly):

We have released updates but they should not effect the issue you are having.
We have not been able to reproduce the issue and therefor not found a fix.
This is most likely caused by a conflict otherwise we would have seen a lot more customers
with the same issue so please try this

Go to "Start"
Click on "Run"
Type "Msconfig"
A new window will open called "System Configuration Utility"
In there choose the option "Selective Start-up"
Then uncheck the option that says "Load Startup Items"
Click "Apply" and reboot the computer.
Then please try again and let us know the result.

Kind Regards,
Göran - Lavasoft Support

So I did as told and still gect the same results. I have now uninstalled with revo and reinstalled 8 times. How can they say that they have not seen this with other customers??? I even tried the live chat and took the time to give extensive details in my chat request only to have a message come up at the end telling me there was no one available to chat right now. Period. And I lost my entire request for future reference. I am so frustrated! Does anyone have a phone number I could use for a direct call for support???

Sorry, I don't have a phone number. When you uninstalled, did you reinstall 8.2 or the new 8.3? That would probably be their next suggestion. Let me know if 8.3 works, and if not, I'll see if I can get someone to help you.

[quote name='visitor' post='120864' date='Jul 9 2010, 01:44 AM']Sorry, I don't have a phone number. When you uninstalled, did you reinstall 8.2 or the new 8.3? That would probably be their next suggestion. Let me know if 8.3 works, and if not, I'll see if I can get someone to help you.[/quote]

I have tried every version I could possibly try including an older version they sent me themselves. Each install works, and updates completely but the 'service' itself is simply not there under services. The only lavasoft service of any kind I have is Lavasoft Client Security Service which is apparently my firewall. I just don't get this. When i try to get a real person to help me immediately I get offered real time help that I have to pay for. This is not good customer service. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprized since the only support forum for paying customers hasn't had an entry or reply since 2009. Come on Lavasoft. Either help me figure this out or give me my money back! Edited by !Winjy

[quote name='Lee Rain' post='120918' date='Jul 9 2010, 05:24 PM']I have uninstalled and reinstalled at least 6 times so far, using links provided by Lavasoft, who tell me there is no difference to the install software. I continue to get the 'failed to connect to service' error message. Adaware is not even listed in my services folder, although it is visible in the programs but will not connect. Is this a lavasoft issue? I don't even know how long it's been disconnected, because the only way I noticed was when I realized that the ad watch logo had disappeared from the task bar. I have never had problems with this software before and liked it so much I purchased a 3 year license. I'm very concerned that my computer is now at significant risk and no one seems to be able to tell me why. Any help out there???[/quote]

Don't quite know why you quoted my post but didn't answer or comment. I can only assume you are having a similar issue. Just revo uninstalled and re-installed for the 9th time. I have used every path suggestion with cmd I could find...and there have been tons of suggestions since 2008, so how Lavasoft can tell me this is not a common issue I don't know. Anyway. I thought I'd throw in a screen shot for the heck of it to prove that Ad-Aware is installing but not in the services anywhere.

[attachment=8193:error_sc...Ad_Aware.bmp]

[attachment=8194:screen_s...lavasoft.bmp]

[quote name='!Winjy' post='120927' date='Jul 9 2010, 07:52 PM']Don't quite know why you quoted my post but didn't answer or comment. I can only assume you are having a similar issue.[/quote]
Lee Rain is a spammer.

I think the paid real-time support is offered for free users. Paid users shouldn't need to pay twice, LOL. I'll see if I can get someone to help you here as a last ditch effort, otherwise you should contact sales *at* lavasoft *dot* com if you want to request a refund. Keep your eyes peeled on this thread, your PMs, and the email address used here should Lavasoft try to contact you.

PS. the error_sctreen_shot_Ad_Aware.bmp only shows the services listed A thru C. You're looking under "L" for "Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service" correct? Edited by visitor

[quote name='visitor' post='120947' date='Jul 10 2010, 07:43 AM']Lee Rain is a spammer.

I think the paid real-time support is offered for free users. Paid users shouldn't need to pay twice, LOL. I'll see if I can get someone to help you here as a last ditch effort, otherwise you should contact sales *at* lavasoft *dot* com if you want to request a refund. Keep your eyes peeled on this thread, your PMs, and the email address used here should Lavasoft to contact you.

PS. the error_sctreen_shot_Ad_Aware.bmp only shows the services listed A thru C. You're looking under "L" for "Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service" correct?[/quote]

Yes I did check the 'L's and I've included that screen shot just to show it. Thank you very much just for responding. At this point it helps just to have someone prove there are others out there, somewhere! Thanks again.

[attachment=8196:Services...e___L__s.bmp]

[quote name='!Winjy' post='120954' date='Jul 10 2010, 11:39 AM']Yes I did check the 'L's and I've included that screen shot just to show it. Thank you very much just for responding. At this point it helps just to have someone prove there are others out there, somewhere! Thanks again.

[attachment=8196:Services...e___L__s.bmp][/quote]
Hello out there. I'm still unsolved. Tried every fix sent to my by Lavasoft and found here. Nothing works. Ad Aware looks like it is installing and updating okay but then as soon as it tries to start up I get the 'failed to connect to service' error and then when I check the program and service lists, Ad Aware is no where to be found. i know I'm sounding repetative, but I really son't know what to try next. Can [b]anyone[/b][i][/i] help???

[quote name='!Winjy' post='121288' date='Jul 18 2010, 03:16 PM']Hello out there. I'm still unsolved. Tried every fix sent to my by Lavasoft and found here. Nothing works. Ad Aware looks like it is installing and updating okay but then as soon as it tries to start up I get the 'failed to connect to service' error and then when I check the program and service lists, Ad Aware is no where to be found. i know I'm sounding repetative, but I really son't know what to try next. Can [b]anyone[/b][i][/i] help???[/quote]

I'n this image you got there, there is a service called " Lavasoft client security service " select it and hit the restart service option, allow it too do it's thing, disable teatimer from spybot temporarily and try too install and update again.

Just to let you know, on July 10 I sent a PM to one of the LS Admins, but they haven't been online here since then.

I have this problem it's driving me mad! i fix it then a couple of days later it removes it's self again.

The problem is there is no imagepath in the registry to point to the services file so it wont start and the only way to fix this is to manually add it to the registry.

[code]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet043\Services\aawservice]
"ImagePath"=hex(2):22,00,43,00,3a,00,5c,00,70,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,\
6d,00,20,00,66,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,5c,00,6c,00,61,00,76,00,61,00,73,\
00,6f,00,66,00,74,00,5c,00,61,00,64,00,2d,00,61,00,77,00,61,00,72,00,65,00,\
5c,00,61,00,61,00,77,00,73,00,65,00,72,00,76,00,69,00,63,00,65,00,2e,00,65,\
00,78,00,65,00,22,00,00,00[/code]

this will add the imagepath ("C:\program files\lavasoft\ad-aware\aawservice.exe") to the registry so the D*mn program starts just save the code in to a text file and save it as whatever.reg and double click it.

I'm running windows XP Pro SP3 never had any problems till this new Version 8 service version please fix this thank you.

[b]also please to meet you all.[/b]

[img]http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8130/27923514.png[/img] Edited by Rocky5

Thanks Rocky5 - I let Lavasoft know about this, but to clarify, which exact version do you have installed? 8.0.0 dates back 1-1/2 yrs and 8.3.1 is the most recent.

[quote name='visitor' post='121889' date='Aug 19 2010, 12:55 AM']Thanks Rocky5 - I let Lavasoft know about this, but to clarify, which exact version do you have installed? 8.0.0 dates back 1-1/2 yrs and 8.3.1 is the most recent.[/quote]

Ah yes sorry it's the latest build I installed it again about two weeks ago or Just over that.

Uninstalling, reinstalling using the suggested uninstaller does nothing on Xp, only way I can get it working is to add it manually to the registry.

Then a few days latter it's gone again have to instl the entries againand reboot for it to work.

OK, I specified it's 8.3.1 and linked to your post here since it has the nice screenshot and code. Hopefully they'll fix it! I guess everytime it updates, it must reset the registry. Lavasoft did mention they tweaked the service - the tray app used to start via an msconfig entry, but now it's started via the service - somehow starting the service was overlooked, LOL.

[quote name='visitor' post='121904' date='Aug 19 2010, 11:52 AM']OK, I specified it's 8.3.1 and linked to your post here since it has the nice screenshot and code. Hopefully they'll fix it! I guess everytime it updates, it must reset the registry. Lavasoft did mention they tweaked the service - the tray app used to start via an msconfig entry, but now it's started via the service - somehow starting the service was overlooked, LOL.[/quote]

Thank you for the help and glad it will be sorted out at some point, as this software is in my opinion, mandatory.