Sign in to follow this  
stobk

Web Update 8.2.4

Finally, I was able to upgrade to 8.2.4 from 8.2.3 after several days of trying. It turned out to be an Update not a definitions problem. Solved, and all is good, except:

When I updated to 8.2.3, I had access to Ad-Watch Live, Processes and Network. They were not grayed out and I could access the "edit rules" option. Instead of just having access to AdWatch Live, the buttons were turned on for Processes and Network (not Files) and I could edit said rules. I do have Adaware Free and didn't have access to the Processes and Network buttons at 8.2.1, but did after upgrading to 8.2.3. Then when updating to 8.2.4, the buttons are still turned on saying "ON' in green and the Red symbols are showing red and no longer grayed out. I also had access to the rules for the above things.

Did I get something working for free by accident - or are they supposed to be switched on, but I don't have access to them (the "edit rules") anymore?

I'm running Windows XP3 media edition, IE8, AdAware and Norton 360.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help. :unsure:

There's a bug with Network Protection - it's only available with Pro, but the GUI shows it's "ON" with lesser versions like Plus, which my friend has. I've already reported it to Lavasoft, but it looks like they haven't gotten around to fixing it. When it's working, it blocks connection to blacklisted IP addresses. If you want to test it, you can try IP 67.220.140.58 in your browser. It's pulls up a blank page, but Ad-Aware blocks it and you'll see a tray area notification if Network protection is indeed working.

[quote name='visitor' post='120038' date='Jun 6 2010, 02:40 AM']There's a bug with Network Protection - it's only available with Pro, but the GUI shows it's "ON" with lesser versions like Plus, which my friend has. I've already reported it to Lavasoft, but it looks like they haven't gotten around to fixing it. When it's working, it blocks connection to blacklisted IP addresses. If you want to test it, you can try IP 67.220.140.58 in your browser. It's pulls up a blank page, but Ad-Aware blocks it and you'll see a tray area notification if Network protection is indeed working.[/quote]

That's great, and thanks for the info., but what about Processes? That was also turned on (saying ON and Red button enabled) and I had access to the "edit files" rules. Is that not free and I just got it with 8.2.3 as a glitch? As I said, I'm running AdAware Free (the advanced Plus and Pro were too technical for me, sorry - I tried, but not for me). The Processess will not allow me access to the "edit files" rules anymore. I used to be able to say which processes that ran were "allowed", ignored" or "blocked" and now I can't.

Again, is this something I just got working for free as a glitch with the last upgrade, and not available on the Free version of Adaware, 8.2.4?

Thanks, again, for all your help. :huh: Sorry if I wasn't clear in my last request. Edited by stobk

The Ad-Watch Live! Processes module is available on all versions, so you should be able to edit the rules. I've started a bug thread for Lavasoft, but since 8.2.4 was just released, not sure how many complaints have been filed with the paid users support. Just to be sure, make sure you're in advanced mode (bottom left corner) when you try to access the Ad-Watch Live! settings.

[quote name='visitor' post='120047' date='Jun 6 2010, 04:53 PM']The Ad-Watch Live! Processes module is available on all versions, so you should be able to edit the rules. I've started a bug thread for Lavasoft, but since 8.2.4 was just released, not sure how many complaints have been filed with the paid users support. Just to be sure, make sure you're in advanced mode (bottom left corner) when you try to access the Ad-Watch Live! settings.[/quote]

Well, I was able, but unable to now - even in the advanced mode (which I keep it in all the time - more control). Should I post a new "general suppott issue"? Thanks for the update and I'll keep an eye on things. :huh:

[quote name='stobk' post='120048' date='Jun 6 2010, 05:11 PM']Should I post a new "general suppott issue"?[/quote]
A new post for what? I've already reported the process rules problem and linked to this topic. BTW, this belongs in the 8.2 users forum, so I'm going to move it there to see if anyone else has the same problem.

[quote name='visitor' post='120050' date='Jun 6 2010, 08:02 PM']A new post for what? I've already reported the process rules problem and linked to this topic. BTW, this belongs in the 8.2 users forum, so I'm going to move it there to see if anyone else has the same problem.[/quote]

Sorry, but please don't holler at me, I may be inexperienced, but I'm not a complete idiot. Or, maybe I am, I just reread my posts and I failed to mention that I used to have access to the
REGISTRY rules and they are grayed out and unaccessible. The icon is showing Red, the button is green and I was able to access and "edit" the Registry rules - no longer (along with the other issues). I think I alluded to this, but failed to use the correct name. So, again, I guess I am a complete idiot, but please don't holler at me again.

If this problem was addressed with the post (and I suggested that to see if anyone else would post to my post so YOU could see if anyone else had the same complaints), ignore this and I'll consider it settled and just not use my Ad-Watch live stuff like I did before the upgrade.

Thank you. :huh:

[quote name='stobk' post='120063' date='Jun 7 2010, 12:02 PM']Sorry, but please don't holler at me.[/quote]
LOL, you're funny. If I was hollering, I would have used "!!!!" or :huh: I was just asking why you'd need another post since we covered the Network and Processes questions here.

Registry protection is not part of Free, only Plus and Pro, so if it was working, it was a glitch. I suspect it's a similar bug to Network where it say it's "ON" but is actually not active. The only way to tell would be to actually get a notification that something is trying to change the registry, but I usually only see that when installing software - and when I install software, I always turn Ad-Watch off so it doesn't interfere.

[quote name='visitor' post='120069' date='Jun 7 2010, 04:41 PM']LOL, you're funny. If I was hollering, I would have used "!!!!" or :huh: I was just asking why you'd need another post since we covered the Network and Processes questions here.

Registry protection is not part of Free, only Plus and Pro, so if it was working, it was a glitch. I suspect it's a similar bug to Network where it say it's "ON" but is actually not active. The only way to tell would be to actually get a notification that something is trying to change the registry, but I usually only see that when installing software - and when I install software, I always turn Ad-Watch off so it doesn't interfere.[/quote]

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Sorry, I guess I'm a little insecure when it comes to my computer knowledge. I apologize for misunderstanding your intent. Nuff said. I thought that was the case (the allowance of Registry, I mean) - it even gave me notices, asking me if I wanted to allow or block said registry start-up (one reason I gave up the Pro version - I don't have any idea what to allow and block). So, we're done and again, I thank you very much :D

Aha, so you had the Pro version - if the license was still valid, that could explain why you had access. You see, the installer for Free, Plus, and Pro is the same - when you plug in the serial number, it unlocks the Plus or Pro features. So, if you had Pro and then installed 8.2.3 Free over it without uninstalling first, then it retained your serial info. If you uninstalled Ad-Aware then reinstalled 8.2.4 Free when you were trying to get it to work, then the serial info would have been lost during uninstall. One way to test this would be to plugin your old serial number into "Manage License" to see if it works, but don't do it if you want to stick with the Free version.

Even with limited computer knowledge, it's better to have Pro if your license is still valid. Registry and Network protection are important, and that's why they charge for the extra protection. In general, registry changes should only be allowed when installing software (but as I said, I turn off Ad-Aware so it doesn't interfere). If you're surfing the web and click a link which results in a registry notification, that's usually a bad thing and should be denied. Network protection is really a no-brainer. They merely have a blacklist of IP addresses/websites which are blocked if you try to surf there. It shouldn't affect legit web surfing, but if for some reason it does, then you can allow it.

[quote name='visitor' post='120074' date='Jun 7 2010, 05:31 PM']Aha, so you had the Pro version - if the license was still valid, that could explain why you had access. You see, the installer for Free, Plus, and Pro is the same - when you plug in the serial number, it unlocks the Plus or Pro features. So, if you had Pro and then installed 8.2.3 Free over it without uninstalling first, then it retained your serial info. If you uninstalled Ad-Aware then reinstalled 8.2.4 Free when you were trying to get it to work, then the serial info would have been lost during uninstall. One way to test this would be to plugin your old serial number into "Manage License" to see if it works, but don't do it if you want to stick with the Free version.

Even with limited computer knowledge, it's better to have Pro if your license is still valid. Registry and Network protection are important, and that's why they charge for the extra protection. In general, registry changes should only be allowed when installing software (but as I said, I turn off Ad-Aware so it doesn't interfere). If you're surfing the web and click a link which results in a registry notification, that's usually a bad thing and should be denied. Network protection is really a no-brainer. They merely have a blacklist of IP addresses/websites which are blocked if you try to surf there. It shouldn't affect legit web surfing, but if for some reason it does, then you can allow it.[/quote]

Wow, I had no idea. That would have been a good selling point or idea to get me to keep pro, especially since I'd already spent the money. (oh, I did completely uninstall Pro, because I promised I would and they sent me a refund, and that was about 2 yrs. ago, anyway). I will look around and see if there's any trace of it anywhere on my computer (but you know me, I'll do what I'm able). I have to say I've learned alot more about how my computer operates from you all (doing workarounds, reading posts, etc.) and I appreciate that. So, if I'm importing or adding a program (from a disc, etc.) that I trust, I would have allowed that, but if I was just looking around the web and something tried to load, that would be a bad thing, huh? For instance, my toolbar (at start) seems to reset itself every couple of days for some reason. Is there a tutorial or something I could investigate somewhere? I really like the extra protection and I got a great deal with you all. Thanks to your help, I will reconsider and get it again when you all make a good offer. I can also get support right away if I pay for my subscription, can't I? That would be helpful (but you've been as great as I could want).

So, thank you again and again. I'll just send you a little post if I get Pro again (is that improper?). I'll be sure to tell Lavasoft how helpful you've been (can I do that?). Sorry to keep asking questions; I'll let you alone now (with a grateful heart).

I forgot, you'll also see registry changes when changing settings on Windows and some software programs. But, yes, generally if you're doing something intentionally, it's OK to allow it, but coming out of nowhere like surfing the web it's not OK.

Don't bother looking around for the old Pro version - all the files look the same as the free version. The serial number info is embedded somewhere in a license file, so not really visible. One other thing to note, the Free version does not include anti-virus so you may want to install a free version of Avast or AVG anti-virus. AVG has a Link Scanner which is similar to Ad-Aware's Network Protection, and the definitions get updated frequently.

My other recommendation is to install the free version of Sandboxie. It opens your browser in an envirionment isolated from your main system (a sandbox). After you're done, you can delete the sandbox, and it's like you were never online. I've known 1 person who still caught a virus, but it's much more difficult when running sandboxed. The only problem may be downloading and saving pics or files from web-based email like Yahoo or Gmail, in which case you want those to be saved to your system and not kept in the sandbox.

[quote name='visitor' post='120077' date='Jun 7 2010, 06:35 PM']I forgot, you'll also see registry changes when changing settings on Windows and some software programs. But, yes, generally if you're doing something intentionally, it's OK to allow it, but coming out of nowhere like surfing the web it's not OK.

Don't bother looking around for the old Pro version - all the files look the same as the free version. The serial number info is embedded somewhere in a license file, so not really visible. One other thing to note, the Free version does not include anti-virus so you may want to install a free version of Avast or AVG anti-virus. AVG has a Link Scanner which is similar to Ad-Aware's Network Protection, and the definitions get updated frequently.

My other recommendation is to install the free version of Sandboxie. It opens your browser in an envirionment isolated from your main system (a sandbox). After you're done, you can delete the sandbox, and it's like you were never online. I've known 1 person who still caught a virus, but it's much more difficult when running sandboxed. The only problem may be downloading and saving pics or files from web-based email like Yahoo or Gmail, in which case you want those to be saved to your system and not kept in the sandbox.[/quote]

Just a little note and quick questions - I have and run Norton 360 - doesn't it have the same advantages as Avast or AVG anti-virus? And I looked into Sandboxie, and it sounds real good, except I do download and save pics from Yahoo and Windows Live Hotmail. Yes, it does seem to have lots of info, instructions, etc. I will definitely look into it more thoroughly. And you said you use it, right? Great. Ummmm, what did you think of Help/Instructions for running AdAware Pro - are they understandable by a person like me?
I mean thorough and easy to understand and follow? Would they replace the need for Sandboxie? I do save alot of e-mails (from know senders, of course) and songs, pictures, videos and things to post on my facebook page - will Sandboxie infere with this? And, running Windows XP, I read one report that it caused Sandboxie to stop working without upgrading to a newer version (that was is April 2010 - what do you think about that? I know Adaware or Norton scans all my downloads before allowing me to save them and I get a message saying they're clean, and then I save them to my desktop and install them from there so I can check again (oh, and set a System Restore point, also).

I'm sorry if I'm pestering you, and please feel no obligation to answers any of this; I know you're very busy. But, please know how much I apprecate all the help and advise - if you could only know how much. Anyway, thanks again, and if you're interested, we could be "Friends" here at Adaware (I've never done that before). Well, thanks again, again and take care of yourself. Sorry to glam on to you so. :(

As long as you have Norton, you should be OK. Just wanted to make sure you had anti-virus. Just a quick note, Norton/Symantec Tamper Protection used to stop Ad-Aware scans once it started scanning the Norton files, so the Tamper Protection needed to be turned off for Ad-Aware scans to complete. It was a while ago, and should be fixed as long as Norton has been updated.

I think Lavasoft writes their manual for the general consumer - I've found it sometimes lacks the detail I'm looking for when trying to answer questions here. You can have a look yourself - it's available by clicking "Help" within Ad-Aware, or online here if you want to view or download the pdf file:

[url="http://lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/manuals/ad_aware/ad_aware_manual.pdf"]http://lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/...ware_manual.pdf[/url]

As long as you're downloading files from a trusted source, you don't need to use Sandboxie as long as the downloaded files are scanned. I mostly surf trusted message boards, so I only use it when randomly surfing - like when following a link somebody emails or posts. It's just nice to have in those cases since now you can get hit by "drive by" infections by merely loading a web page. Sandboxie fixed the problem with a Win XP update patch, so you'll be OK now as long as you install the current version. I've since run Win XP updates for May and June, and the problem has not reoccurred. I posted about it here back in April:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29130"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29130[/url]

One more caveat - there's another user here who has Plus/Pro Files Protection, and it's conflicting with Sandboxie. When she closes the sandbox, her system stalls for about 5 mins. Just in case you were thinking of going back to a paid version . . . I've reported it to Lavasoft, but not sure if/when it will be fixed.

I approved the friend request :)