Sign in to follow this  
thealbturkey

8.2.5 no cookies found

I downloaded the update on Friday and ever since then Lavasoft tells me it found nothing with either a quick or total scan. I updated today, Monday, again with the same results. I know that at least some cookies were deposited in my computer. Previously, depending on which sights I visited, I have always had a few cookies. Lavasoft is my preferred filter but I don't feel it is that good. No offense. I am disabled and no longer work and use the internet as my main source of communication. Does anyone else have this problem? I'd sure hate to have my comunication compromised!

[quote name='thealbturkey' post='120061' date='Jun 7 2010, 02:55 PM']I downloaded the update on Friday and ever since then Lavasoft tells me it found nothing with either a quick or total scan. I updated today, Monday, again with the same results. I know that at least some cookies were deposited in my computer. Previously, depending on which sights I visited, I have always had a few cookies. Lavasoft is my preferred filter but I don't feel it is that good. No offense. I am disabled and no longer work and use the internet as my main source of communication. Does anyone else have this problem? I'd sure hate to have my comunication compromised![/quote]

The same thing happened to me. After I reinstalled Ad-Aware 8.2.4, and ran a scan, I did not see any cookies listed in the files to scan, although "Tracking Cookies" were checked on the list to scan. I usually have tracking cookies found in a scan. This happened after the time I checked for updates and was told I have a "connection error - check your settings", that's when I reinstalled Ad-Aware to version 8.2.4. I hope Lavasoft is aware of this problem. Maybe, if enough people report it, they'll do something.

[quote name='Whateveruwant' post='120067' date='Jun 7 2010, 02:49 PM']I did not see any cookies listed in the files to scan, although "Tracking Cookies" were checked on the list to scan.[/quote]
FYI, the checklist under settings are for Profile scans, not Smart and Full scans which have preset areas to check. Other users have brought this up with prior versions, I believe starting with 8.1. Cookies have a low TAI threat level - they're not really malware like a virus or trojan since they're just text files. It could be that Ad-Aware only deletes those that are known to be spyware/tracking so that it doesn't delete harmless ones like those that store message board login info.

If you're concerned with cookies, the best thing to do is configure your browser to reject 3rd party cookies and take the time to blacklist any unwanted ones which do show up. Also, Ad-Aware has the TrackSweep tool which will delete all cookies from IE and Firefox (supposedly Opera too, but not sure if they fixed the bug with version 10). Lastly, you can install programs such as Spybot and SpywareBlaster which disallow long lists of cookies. With security, it's always better to block things from the get-go than to clean them up afterwards :huh:

[quote name='visitor' post='120073' date='Jun 7 2010, 08:12 PM']FYI, the checklist under settings are for Profile scans, not Smart and Full scans which have preset areas to check. Other users have brought this up with prior versions, I believe starting with 8.1. Cookies have a low TAI threat level - they're not really malware like a virus or trojan since they're just text files. It could be that Ad-Aware only deletes those that are known to be spyware/tracking so that it doesn't delete harmless ones like those that store message board login info.

If you're concerned with cookies, the best thing to do is configure your browser to reject 3rd party cookies and take the time to blacklist any unwanted ones which do show up. Also, Ad-Aware has the TrackSweep tool which will delete all cookies from IE and Firefox (supposedly Opera too, but not sure if they fixed the bug with version 10). Lastly, you can install programs such as Spybot and SpywareBlaster which disallow long lists of cookies. With security, it's always better to block things from the get-go than to clean them up afterwards :P[/quote]

If you select Advanced Mode, and click the Scan button, you will see the Files scanned list for Smart Mode and Full Mode already checked. Tracking Cookies should be scanned since they are on the preselected list. You are misinformed.

[quote name='Whateveruwant' post='120081' date='Jun 7 2010, 08:37 PM']If you select Advanced Mode, and click the Scan button, you will see the Files scanned list for Smart Mode and Full Mode already checked. Tracking Cookies should be scanned since they are on the preselected list. You are misinformed.[/quote]
Not misinformed, we're talking about 2 different screens:

[url="http://lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/manuals/ad_aware/ad_aware_manual.pdf"]http://lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/...ware_manual.pdf[/url]

You're talking about pg 17 of the pdf manual. If you're on the Scan screen and click "Settings," then you get the item checklist options which pertain to the Profile Scans (pg 42).

The original question still begs for an answer. I have the same problem on several rigs, I even uninstalled and reinstalled Adaware with the same results on one rig. If the purpose/intentions/results of Adaware had changed Adaware have become just more bloat wear, after using and donating and bragging on Adaware for years it is quite a disappointment. :P

[quote name='thealbturkey' post='120061' date='Jun 7 2010, 02:55 PM']I downloaded the update on Friday and ever since then Lavasoft tells me it found nothing with either a quick or total scan. I updated today, Monday, again with the same results. I know that at least some cookies were deposited in my computer. Previously, depending on which sights I visited, I have always had a few cookies. Lavasoft is my preferred filter but I don't feel it is that good. No offense. I am disabled and no longer work and use the internet as my main source of communication. Does anyone else have this problem? I'd sure hate to have my comunication compromised![/quote]

I'm having the same problem with Ad-Aware v8.2.4 "nothing found". Did the usual uninstall/reinstall; same results. Just to confirm it wasn't a problem with my system, I uninstalled v8.2.4 and installed Ad-Aware v8.1x, ran a scan - lo and behold that version found a bunch of tracking cookies (only TAI 3 but still as expected cookies were found)! I selected "allow one" for all the cookies it found so I know they remained on my system (BTW: I run the app in "Advanced Mode"). Exited the whole app and relaunched. When the upgrade notification displayed I clicked on upgrade. The upgrade was of course to v8.2.4 and installed without a problem. When all was said and done (download defs/reboots blah, blah, blah), I ran a scan -- AGAIN nothing found. There is definitely a problem with this version of the software that needs to be addressed by LS. There are too many users of this version experiencing the same problem. I'm running XP Pro SP3 but others are running Vista so I doubt the problem is the OSs; actually, I don't doubt it, I know it's not the OS....I've used Ad-Aware for years and have been quite happy with it, I hope a fix is forthcoming and SOON or I'll have to find another product. Edited by chikki

Ditto to all above statements. Version 8.2.4 does not detect Tracking Cookies. After unistalling previous version 8.2.2 and installing 8.2.4, cookies not shown. What does LS have to say about this, if you're listening?

I've reported this again, for version 8.2.4, to Lavasoft. We'll see what happens. Still, I think it's better to take preventative steps to avoid cookies. Along with Spybot and Spywareblaster I recommended above, you can also install Sandboxie to isolate, sandbox your browser.

If Ad-Aware version 8.2.4 does not detect Tracking Cookies (which I'm sure I have), how do I know if it will detect malware and spyware? I should have left version 8.2.2 installed before I realized that the update server problem ("connection error") was a Lavasoft problem. At least Tracking Cookies were detected then.

[quote name='Whateveruwant' post='120175' date='Jun 10 2010, 02:06 PM']If Ad-Aware version 8.2.4 does not detect Tracking Cookies (which I'm sure I have), how do I know if it will detect malware and spyware?[/quote]
That's the million dollar question! Some posters here have lost confidence and bailed on Ad-Aware. It's also why I always turn off auto-updates on my installed software and only update when I've had a chance to check out message forums to see what's up with new versions :)

You can get older versions of Ad-Aware here, but right now they only have 8.1 (right margin) - installing 8.2 will automatically update to 8.2.4 again during installation:

[url="http://filehippo.com/download_ad-aware"]http://filehippo.com/download_ad-aware[/url]

[quote name='akadarpoe' post='120122' date='Jun 9 2010, 04:43 AM']The original question still begs for an answer. I have the same problem on several rigs, I even uninstalled and reinstalled Adaware with the same results on one rig. If the purpose/intentions/results of Adaware had changed Adaware have become just more bloat wear, after using and donating and bragging on Adaware for years it is quite a disappointment. :)[/quote]

Ditto to problem above. Up until now, A-A has been by far the fastest effective way to get rid of tracking cookies; they're not sufficiently evil to spend much time on, but they do keep multiplying if you don't keep sweeping. I'm getting more disappointed with LS as V. 8 updates get us further into the swamp.

[quote name='WDF1' post='120208' date='Jun 11 2010, 09:04 AM']Ditto to problem above. Up until now, A-A has been by far the fastest effective way to get rid of tracking cookies; they're not sufficiently evil to spend much time on, but they do keep multiplying if you don't keep sweeping. I'm getting more disappointed with LS as V. 8 updates get us further into the swamp.[/quote]

I have noticed how much slower ad aware loads up when you start it, and gets slower and slower with each update(both definition updates and program updates) it used to load up ever so quick when they first updated ad aware to the 2007 version, since then, they been tweeking it and it is just getting so slow.

My dad and my friend both notice this too.

Btw I never had any cookies apear on mine either but that is because I do a track sweep of cookies, have you tried doing that too?

~Beatles4~ :-) Edited by visitor
merged posts

I mentioned Track Sweep in the 3rd post, but either nobody wants to use it or they're concerned about the found/not found overnight syndrome. Beatles, can you verify that TrackSweep works with 8.2.4? Also, do you happen to use Opera version 10?

I myself use I.E 8.

And like I said, I never found "tracking cookies" cause before I do a scan I use track sweep, so I guess it works as nothing shows up.

~Beatles4~ :-)

[quote name='visitor' post='120223' date='Jun 11 2010, 05:55 AM']I mentioned Track Sweep in the 3rd post, but either nobody wants to use it or they're concerned about the found/not found overnight syndrome. Beatles, can you verify that TrackSweep works with 8.2.4? Also, do you happen to use Opera version 10?[/quote]

Can one do a Track Sweep for only tracking cookies? How does one block cookies whose names are unknown, without blocking all? As of recent update to def. 286, etc., problem remains unchanged.
... Later: Scanned with McAfee, which ALSO showed no tracking cookies; this suggests that A-A is deleting tracking cookies on the fly, or (unlikely) the cookiemasters have made a quantum leap in ability to hide, or (less likely) my ISP (ATT Yahoo!) is finally blocking them, or (least likely) that McAfee has lost the ability to find them. I'll access my ISP, then rescan with McAfee, then report back. Edited by WDF1

[quote name='WDF1' post='120241' date='Jun 11 2010, 05:22 PM']Can one do a Track Sweep for only tracking cookies? How does one block cookies whose names are unknown, without blocking all?[/quote]
[quote name='visitor' post='120073' date='Jun 7 2010, 05:12 PM']If you're concerned with cookies, the best thing to do is configure your browser to reject 3rd party cookies and take the time to blacklist any unwanted ones which do show up. Also, Ad-Aware has the TrackSweep tool which will delete all cookies. Lastly, you can install programs such as Spybot and SpywareBlaster which disallow long lists of cookies.[/quote]

My scans have also not detected tracking cookies since updating to 8.2.4 I take many preventative steps regarding cookies as visitor suggests but Ad-Aware always found something. Since now it doesn't what other options are there?

[quote name='WDF1' post='120241' date='Jun 11 2010, 05:22 PM']Can one do a Track Sweep for only tracking cookies? How does one block cookies whose names are unknown, without blocking all? As of recent update to def. 286, etc., problem remains unchanged.
... Later: Scanned with McAfee, which ALSO showed no tracking cookies; this suggests that A-A is deleting tracking cookies on the fly, or (unlikely) the cookiemasters have made a quantum leap in ability to hide, or (less likely) my ISP (ATT Yahoo!) is finally blocking them, or (least likely) that McAfee has lost the ability to find them. I'll access my ISP, then rescan with McAfee, then report back.[/quote]

yet later: I've done 2 cycles of [access ISP then afterward McAfee scan], with NO cookies reported--very unusual!--so it's looking to me as if some weirdness is happening, rather than (or in addition to) an A-A problem.

[quote name='WDF1' post='120280' date='Jun 13 2010, 07:18 PM']yet later: I've done 2 cycles of [access ISP then afterward McAfee scan], with NO cookies reported--very unusual!--so it's looking to me as if some weirdness is happening, rather than (or in addition to) an A-A problem.[/quote]

much later: A scan with an updated McAfee did find (& auto-erase) a number of tracking cookies: a mix of familiar & unfamiliar names. I again accessed my ISP a few times, then scanned with A-A v. 8.2.5 def. 149.290, which found no cookies; this unfortunately does not say anything definitive about the problem (if any, still).

[quote name='WDF1' post='120313' date='Jun 15 2010, 07:30 PM']then scanned with A-A v. 8.2.5 def. 149.290, which found no cookies; this unfortunately does not say anything definitive about the problem (if any, still).[/quote]

It says they haven't addressed a known problem. For years the program found tracking cookies now it doesn't and the advice here is that we should be getting rid of them in the first place. Talk about turning a deaf ear.

[quote name='WDF1' post='120313' date='Jun 15 2010, 05:30 PM']scanned with A-A v. 8.2.5 def. 149.290, which found no cookies.[/quote]
Thanks, I updated the bug thread - the changelog for 8.2.5 didn't list cookies as one of the fixes, so they haven't addressed the problem yet.

Strange, I updated to version 8.2.5, ran a full-scan, and found three (3) malware files, however, there was still no Tracking Cookies. What's going on?

I have used Ad-Aware Free (Anti-Malware: anti-spyware + anti rootkit) for the past couple years with flawless operation. Always do a scan every day or two usually finding items that need attention. Two weeks ago it stopped finding anything on my computer. I run the full scan in advanced mode which use to show me what was found. Now it shows 0 items found each time a I do a scan. I thought the program was corrupted so uninstalled it and then reinstalled the latest version. Just did another full scan with nothing being found.
Is this now normal for Ad-Aware or do I have a virus that has rendered Ad-Aware useless?