Sign in to follow this  
Beatles4

Blue Screen and Lock Ups

Hi there,

Since last week I have been getting blue screens or computer locks up and freezes, then I have to reboot, now, I did a sfc /scannow, scan last night, and a trend micro(Anti Virus) scan, Windows defender, and not one crash or blue screen at all today, then I did a Adware Scan and it gets half way and crashes)

I, after thinking about it and talking to my friend, I assume it is Ad aware because

1) what I said above

2) This is what I said to my friend on messenger
"I only update programs like monthly(which I did yesterday)
and update trend micro, windows defender, ad aware everyday(checks for program and definiation updates)
But I remember installing an update for ad aware last week now to come to think of it, because that one time it needed me to reboot my computer, usually it just closes program and loads it self back up again"

3) had to reboot computer several times after it crashed today when doin the full scan, not realising it might have been ad aware I loaded up that. but it crashes at random times after that it has been loaded.

4) Rebooted computer and ad aware is not loaded, no crashes, or lock ups nor any blue screens!

I am on Windows 7 32 bit home edition (desktop)

~Beatles4~ :-) Edited by Beatles4

Similar topic here:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29380"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29380[/url]

Try to narrow down where Ad-Aware crashes by using different scans as described in the post. In the meantime, now that the other user has done that, I'll open a bug thread to Lavasoft since it seems to happen with both Vista and Win 7. Also, let me know if you have 8.2.4 Free, Plus, or Pro.

Yeah version 8.2.4, since I got this since the update last week, and I use the free version.

Thanks.

I do smart scan, and does this fine, happened when I did the full scan.

I am bit weary about doing more scans incase I get more lock ups or blue screens, which could upset something in windows.

going to bed now, check this thread out later today.

Thanks.

Sweet dreams :) I updated the bug thread that you're on Free version and having problems with Full Scan. We'll see what happens.

Just to let you know, my computer was going ever so slow, I haven't got any blue screens in about 72 hours, but it was running ever so slow like I said, this might be due to blue screens effecting memory??

Well I took my panels off the side of my Computer, took both memory sticks out and put back in, and walla, it runs so smooth.

But I think some parts of Windows was still damaged even though it was running smooth, example, index no longer worked etc.

So I deleted the partition, created a new one, and then reformatted my computer with a fresh installation of Windows.

I installed all my programs, and installed a fresh installation of Ad Aware(from lavasoft)
Installed updates for windows and Ad Aware.

Now running a full scan, am going out now, but it has been running for about 50 minutes no crashes. (Thumbs up)

Will let you know how it goes later or tomorrow.

Thanks.

~Beatles4~ :-)

Well, you've been a busy bee! One tech guy I know wipes his system every 3-6 months to keep things speedy, mostly since he tests a lot of software. At least you know the system is clean. I imagine Ad-Aware will work now - one reason I think Ad-Aware seems to have so many bugs is that Lavasoft's lab computers are probably squeaky clean, unlike most, so software tests OK on their systems, but not on a lot of real-world users'.

I'll still keep the bug thread open since there's another user with Vista, not Win 7 like you, where the full scan aborts "unexpectedly" after the update to 8.2.4.