Sign in to follow this  
jdrender

Nothing to find?

Short version: Over the past week I have had NO items found during either a full or smart-scan. Previously there were always at least five or six.

Slightly longer version: Two weeks ago I got infected with some trojans that got past McAfee and Ad-Aware. I got the Geek Squad to set things straight though I think they were less than truthful in explaining some aspects. They DID do all the Windows/Vista updates and set up Windows Firewall on top of the McAfee I have.

Since that time there has been NO action from Ad-Aware during any scans. The reporting feature at the end has failed every time with a little window telling me that if Windows finds a solution it will let me know.

So, am I still or newly infected with something or is the combination of Ad-Aware, McAfee, and Windows Firewall WAI?

Help me Mr. Wizard

Dio Edited by Diogenes1950

Well, like any service, Geek Squad is only as good as the technician hired and assigned your ticket number. The Windows updates and firewall you can easily do yourself at Microsoft's website. Cleaning infections can be tricky, and I doubt Best Buy requires specific training like the good internet sites.

To be sure your system is clean, follow the instructions in my signature below to post in the HijackThis forum. There, the trained security advisors will have you use special software tools to diagnose/remove any malware.

Also, it's best to have only 1 real-time, resident protection running to avoid conflicts. A little while ago, McAfee detected Ad-Aware files (false positive) and when users reported it, McAfee told them to uninstall Ad-Aware instead of fixing their definitions. Lavasoft contacted them, but I'm not sure if the problem was fixed. I assume so, since I haven't seen any more reports and I'm sure Lavasoft had the interest to follow up.

I have a new hard drive. On my old one, Ad-Aware worked great. But now, after downloading and installing the new version of Ad-Aware, it never finds any spyware, when in the past, it always found dozens, just like this original poster.

Which version of Ad-Aware 8.2 or 8.3? Also Free, Plus, Pro, Total Security?

There was a problem with not finding cookies (depending on browser), which was fixed with the last version of 8.2. This was just before 8.3 was released, so not sure if they integrated the fix into the new version.

:unsure:-->
QUOTE(alan b @ Jul 8 2010, 06:35 PM) [snapback]120829[/snapback]
I have a new hard drive. On my old one, Ad-Aware worked great. But now, after downloading and installing the new version of Ad-Aware, it never finds any spyware, when in the past, it always found dozens, just like this original poster.[/quote]

Maybe by 'spyware' u mean 'tracking cookies'? I can vouch that A-A 8.3 now finds tracking cookies. Maybe you have setup your browser to delete cookies on exit, that could be one reason why A-A does not find tracking cookies when you scan but to reassure you ver. 8.3 does now find tracking cookies.

[quote name='visitor' post='120862' date='Jul 8 2010, 10:30 PM']Which version of Ad-Aware 8.2 or 8.3? Also Free, Plus, Pro, Total Security?

There was a problem with not finding cookies (depending on browser), which was fixed with the last version of 8.2. This was just before 8.3 was released, so not sure if they integrated the fix into the new version.[/quote]

It looks to me like 8.3.1 is not finding tracking cookies--did LS reuse some defective old code? Inasmuch as LS fixed that problem once, it should be easy to check. I'm still running Windows XP Home SP-1,2,3.

Thanks for the report WDF1. I've posted to Lavasoft to let them know the problem has reappeared. The real question is, are you using the same browser and version as before? That's what determines where cookies are stored and what Lavasoft had to fix last time.

[quote name='visitor' post='121730' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:52 AM']Thanks for the report WDF1. I've posted to Lavasoft to let them know the problem has reappeared. The real question is, are you using the same browser and version as before? That's what determines where cookies are stored and what Lavasoft had to fix last time.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I'm still using IE 8.0.6001. ... as before.

Hello Diogenes1950!

If you worried there is still infections in your PC after the GeekSquad did what they did ( which was completely a waste of time/basic and wont remove what infections are already on the system ) you need to post in [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=36"]Hijack-This Forum[/url] and wait for assistance as were unable to offer any assistance with that in this forum due too the rules.

Secondly, Cookies are mere notepads that just make access to sites you've visited load faster, so detecting them or not it's really no biggy they're not malicious in anyway.

Thanks

Computer Wizard

[quote name='visitor' post='121730' date='Aug 13 2010, 01:52 AM']Thanks for the report WDF1. I've posted to Lavasoft to let them know the problem has reappeared. The real question is, are you using the same browser and version as before? That's what determines where cookies are stored and what Lavasoft had to fix last time.[/quote]

OK, 8.3.1 def's 0150.0054 is finding tracking cookies--thanks.