Sign in to follow this  
NCC1701MF

July Version of Free Ad-Aware includes Anti-Virus

I currently run Avast Antivirus and I know you can't have 2 resident antivirus programs running. I use Ad-Aware as added protection with Defender. So in the new version of Ad-Aware will there be a way to turn off the anti-virus portion?

Maria

[quote name='Maria' post='120630' date='Jun 30 2010, 04:22 PM']I currently run Avast Antivirus and I know you can't have 2 resident antivirus programs running. I use Ad-Aware as added protection with Defender. So in the new version of Ad-Aware will there be a way to turn off the anti-virus portion?

Maria[/quote]

I only run spybot about once a day around supper time, My anti virus is AVG free which runs every day @ 9:00 a am. For the Adaware I have an icon on the desk top, & i have an Icon on the taskbar in the bottom rt by the clock.
I was told by a computer expert to just leave it alone as it runs all the time. On the older version, i used to run a smart scan every couple of days. My question is, 1 should i run it some time, & if so how often, 2 why does it just become inactive every couple of wks., & then I have in uninstall & reinstall. I never had any problems w/ the older version. I am 76 yrs old & so far have had no Viruses. I got my 1'st PC in 2000, am i am self taught, so i am not very computer smart.

Hi Maria,

[quote]I currently run Avast Antivirus and I know you can't have 2 resident antivirus programs running. I use Ad-Aware as added protection with Defender. So in the new version of Ad-Aware will there be a way to turn off the anti-virus portion?[/quote]

The new version is not out yet and is only coming to beta, so we will have to beta test it first, however, there should be an option to disable the AntiVirus Engine. Will let you know once it is released. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi ret,

[quote]I only run spybot about once a day around supper time, My anti virus is AVG free which runs every day @ 9:00 a am.[/quote]

Along with AVG and Spybot, I recommend downloading [url="http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php"][b]Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware[/b][/url], which is a program that will scan your computer for malware; the Pro version includes real-time protection.

Also, [url="http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html"][b]SpywareGuard[/b][/url] and [url="http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html"][b]SpywareBlaster[/b][/url] are good additions to your security arsenal as well.

[quote]My question is, 1 should i run it some time[/quote]

Yes, even though its running in real-time protecting your computer, it is still good to run a SmartScan every week in case something slips by real-time protection. What version (Free, Plus, Pro) do you have?

[quote]2 why does it just become inactive every couple of wks., & then I have in uninstall & reinstall.[/quote]

What becomes inactive?