Sign in to follow this  
graveller39

Ad-Watch detecting changes to browser settings?

Yesterday I installed Ad-Aware 8.3 and enabled Ad-Watch. Shortly afterwards when I opened Windows Explorer to browse through some folders, I immediately received a message indicating that explore.exe was attempting to change my Internet Browser settings. Regardless of whether I selected Allow or Block, or if I checked the box to stop displaying the message, I still kept receiving the message. It didn't go away until I disabled Ad-Watch.
I've used Ad-Aware as well as several other anti-spyware programs for years and regularly update and scan - I've found no problems with any of them, so there's no obvious virus, trojan, etc.

Any idea what's up with this? Edited by graveller39

Go to the Ad-Watch rules to make sure the process has been ignored/allowed. I think this may be related to the bug in 8.2.x where ignored items were not being ignored. I've let Lavasoft know so they can have a look.

[quote name='visitor' post='120762' date='Jul 7 2010, 10:01 AM']Go to the Ad-Watch rules to make sure the process has been ignored/allowed. I think this may be related to the bug in 8.2.x where ignored items were not being ignored. I've let Lavasoft know so they can have a look.[/quote]
The process I'm looking for would be explorer.exe ?
Also, is it normal for explorer.exe to be changing my browser settings?

[quote name='graveller39' post='120764' date='Jul 7 2010, 07:19 AM']The process I'm looking for would be explorer.exe ?[/quote]
Yes, that's Windows Explorer.

[quote name='graveller39' post='120764' date='Jul 7 2010, 07:19 AM']Also, is it normal for explorer.exe to be changing my browser settings?[/quote]
Yes, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are tied together in the operating system. That's why you can't uninstall IE even if you use another browser.

thanks visitor...
I checked the Ad-Watch rules and I have no processes ignored/allowed - looks like the bug you mentioned.
Is there anything else I might try besides disabling Ad-Watch? You'd wonder why Ad-Watch is even monitoring this if its normal behaviour...?