Sign in to follow this  
M.F.C. Cheaters

Ad-Aware Free Version 8.3 detecting changes to registry and blocking IP addresses

Recommended Posts

I installed the new free version last night (8.3.0), downloaded from File Hippo. All seems to have gone well, however the real time protection for the registry and network even though turned off (I don't believe they should work at all in the free version) are detecting changes. For example when I was changing the status of viewing or not viewing hidden files I received a pop up asking if I wanted to allow the change. Also when using firefox I received a pop up saying that a couple of IP addresses were blocked. That message however did not give me any options to allow or not. Whats going on? I'm using XP home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes, you shouldn't have access to Ad-Watch registry and network settings and the functions should not be active in the free version, unless you had a previous licensed version.

For the Windows Explorer problem, read this:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29537"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29537[/url]

I've reported both problems to Lavasoft so they can have a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have also never had a paid version. I have no screen shots available but I also have entries in latest event boxes below registry and network. They are shaded however and I cannot access "Export Detailed Log" or "Edit Rules". Edited by M.F.C. Cheaters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hello

I am trying to track down what the issue might be here, as I have been unable to reproduce it myself.
Could you tell me what operating system you are running?

Also, there is something else you could try.
1)Perform and uninstall
2)Delete "License" folder from the following directory:

XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\

Vista and Windows 7:
C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\

3) Reinstall Ad-Aware

Please let me know if the issue persists after this.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I installed Version 8.3.0 on another computer last night, an Asus eeePC w/XP home. I got the same results as in my initial post. Maybe it has to do with XP Home edition?


Here are some screen shots
[attachment=8191:screenshot.2.jpg]

[attachment=8192:screenshot.3.jpg]

Honestly I do not want to uninstall if at all possible. The reason being is that when installed on the first computer the initial install went quickly but before the restart, updates are downloaded, and with the new virus definitions being downloaded it took quite a bit of time. I timed it last night for the second install and it took 55 min. on a high speed connection. Downloading the definitions really doesn't take long its the install of each virus def. Is there a quicker way? ;)
Also is there a way to remove the entries in the boxes?

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for the feedback. I updated my topic to Lavasoft so they'll see it there in case they don't see it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[quote name='visitor' post='121050' date='Jul 13 2010, 12:44 AM']No news yet. I'll be sure to post anything I hear from Lavasoft if they don't post it here themselves.[/quote]

Thank You

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know we have not forgotten about this, but as of yet we have been unable to reproduce it, or find anything that might be the cause...

I will get back as soon as I have any updated information.

Regards,
Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thank You for the news, I am surprised that this issue is so uncommon. We have three computers at home - 1 desktop and 2 laptops all using XP and it is affecting all 3 computers. I have been leaving ad-watch turned off in the mean time. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I see that we are not alone. A recent post by "Deano" shows that he is having what appears to be the same issue.

[topic="29731"]AdWatch Live! Problem (Free Version)[/topic]

I hope that this can help resolve the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hello everyone

We have issued an update today that should resolve this issue for all of you... Please let us know if it does not.

To make sure you have the latest updates, check that the version number in the about box is: 8.3.5

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this