Sign in to follow this  
martinsmithson

Ad-Aware 8.3.0 is the SLOWEST for update

Hello CurlySue,

I am sorry for the inconvenience it brought. I believe it is caused by a large definition update. Currently the only solution for it is to download the latest installer and install it again. (You can download it from download.cnet.com, for example) And we are working on an alternative solution for it. Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
Zhe

[quote name='LS linuxcity' post='121358' date='Jul 19 2010, 08:25 AM']Hello CurlySue,

I am sorry for the inconvenience it brought. I believe it is caused by a large definition update. Currently the only solution for it is to download the latest installer and install it again. (You can download it from download.cnet.com, for example) And we are working on an alternative solution for it. Thank you very much!

Sincerely,
Zhe[/quote]

Tried the "latest installer" suggestion several times, including a total Registry scrubbing, both manual and several cleaners. The "installs" could not have been cleaner, and yet the problem persists. CurlySue could not be more precise in her analysis, and, in my opinion, Visitor is both indirectly and directly derisive and often antagonistic with little or no real value suggestion or recommendation.

Zhe, you state this issue "is caused by a large definition update." But the 8.2.0 definition updates are not less than 98% the size of the 8.3.0 definition updates and this DELAY problem did not exist with the 8.2.0 version. So, without additional obfuscations, what is the truth here?

Martin Edited by martinsmithson

One more question, Zhe.

As an alternative to the current DELAY PLAGUED Ad-Aware server(s) update problem(s), I tried installing the 97 MB Ad-aware 2007 / 08 / AE Definitions File 0149.0331/ 150.16 file (core.zip).

Following the instructions, I unzip the core.zip file in my C:\documents and settings\All Users\application data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware directory. Unfortunately, no files are updated or installed with one exception > a new sub-directory named [b]consolidate_core_output[/b].

Any suggestions?

Martin Edited by martinsmithson

[quote]Ad-Aware 8.3.0 is the SLOWEST for update[/quote]
You can say that again. I only manually update AA and it doesn't look like the actual downloads are taking a long time (I have a fast cable connection as well), it's the initial "update check" (even if there are no updates) and the application of downloaded updates/definitions.

:)

[quote name='Mike...' post='121418' date='Jul 21 2010, 12:22 PM']You can say that again. I only manually update AA and it doesn't look like the actual downloads are taking a long time (I have a fast cable connection as well), it's the initial "update check" (even if there are no updates) and the application of downloaded updates/definitions.

:)[/quote]

Hey, thanks for your reply, Mike.

Yeah, support really sux at this forum.

Martin

Hello Martin,

Sorry for the late reply. I think we have found the cause for this issue.

As you may know Ad-Aware switched to Viper last year and it seems it takes really long time to apply each incremental definition update, not matter how small they are. Therefore the update time is not depends on your download bandwidth. (The simple way to check it is to open your update.log file in ProgramData folder and compare the timestamps for downloading and applying operation.)

Our developers are currently working with our partner on a better update solution and it should be fixed in 2 weeks.

I apologize for all the inconvenience it may bring.

Sincerely,
Zhe
Quality Assurance Department

[quote name='martinsmithson' post='121396' date='Jul 20 2010, 11:07 AM']One more question, Zhe.

As an alternative to the current DELAY PLAGUED Ad-Aware server(s) update problem(s), I tried installing the 97 MB Ad-aware 2007 / 08 / AE Definitions File 0149.0331/ 150.16 file (core.zip).

Following the instructions, I unzip the core.zip file in my C:\documents and settings\All Users\application data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware directory. Unfortunately, no files are updated or installed with one exception > a new sub-directory named [b]consolidate_core_output[/b].

Any suggestions?

Martin[/quote]

Yes, as I mentioned above. The problem is from the extended engine, so simply replacing core.aawdef would not help. The Viper definition files are in extended folder.

Regards,
Zhe

[quote name='LS linuxcity' post='121438' date='Jul 23 2010, 12:53 AM']Yes, as I mentioned above. The problem is from the extended engine, so simply replacing core.aawdef would not help. The Viper definition files are in extended folder.

Regards,
Zhe[/quote]

and replacing the core.aawdef file and then loading Ad-aware 8.3 will give you the "wrong" version number of the Definitions File which will show version 0149.x instead of 0150.x in the program. I found out when I actually did replace that core.aawdef manually and then ran Ad-aware 8.3.

just wondering, Zhe, is Ad-aware 8.3.1 out now? I've just got back from vacation and I haven't been paying much attention as to whether or not an updated version of Ad-aware 8.3 will be released to fix the [b]slow[/b] update problems. Edited by erpguy6

[quote name='erpguy6' post='121856' date='Aug 17 2010, 05:04 PM']just wondering, Zhe, is Ad-aware 8.3.1 out now? I've just got back from vacation and I haven't been paying much attention as to whether or not an updated version of Ad-aware 8.3 will be released to fix the [b]slow[/b] update problems.[/quote]
Lavasoft used to post software updates in the Support Blog:

[url="http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/blog"]http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/blog[/url]

I've asked them if this has stopped since 8.3 and 8.3.1 are not there. When we find out about updates, I post them in a sticky topic atop this forum and the general support forum.

hi visitor.

actually, Ad-Aware 8.3.1 has been released a few days ago.
the [url="http://majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware__d5947.html"]MajorGeeks.com site[/url] did mention Ad-Aware Free 8.3.1.

I've installed it last night on three of my machines. Runs pretty good.

[quote name='erpguy6' post='121878' date='Aug 18 2010, 09:15 AM']Ad-Aware 8.3.1 has been released a few days ago.
the [url="http://majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware__d5947.html"]MajorGeeks.com site[/url] did mention Ad-Aware Free 8.3.1.[/quote]
That's my point - MajorGeeks lists the newest version update, but Lavasoft's own blog does not. It's only listed in this forum because of me, and I don't work for Lavasoft.

Yet in May, Lavasoft stopped posting definition updates here, and only updates the Security Center Blog:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29235&pid=119465&st=0&#entry119465"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry119465[/url]

Seems disorganized, like there's no system in place for release info :)

[quote name='visitor' post='121891' date='Aug 18 2010, 05:12 PM']Seems disorganized, like there's no system in place for release info :unsure:[/quote]

oh well. anyways much of the [b]slow[/b] update problems have been resolved in the Ad-aware 8.3.1 release. The Viper definition files seem to download faster now and Ad-aware "applies" all the updates after all of them have been downloaded rather than applying the updates in-between downloading the Viper definition files, which seem to reduce updating time. :)

I installed a clean version of Ad-aware Free v8.3.1 on my XP/Vista computers after uninstalling the 8.3.0 version. I didn't want to install v8.3.1 on top of v8.3.0.

So martinsmithson & CurlySue: if you two are out there, download the Ad-aware 8.3.1 setup installer package ASAP and see if you guys get better response in updating Ad-aware on your computers.

I have version 8.3.1 running on XP and Win 7 (laptop) and it intolerably slow. Today, it took me 18 minutes for the update to complete. If it does not improve I will have to delete it. Is it possible to get Ad-Aware without the AV portion?

[quote name='feising' post='122086' date='Aug 26 2010, 07:35 AM']Is it possible to get Ad-Aware without the AV portion?[/quote]
The AV started with version 8.3. You can download older versions at filehippo.com, but you'll have to turn off auto-update and download definitions manually:

[url="http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/faqs/i-cannot-update-the-definitions-file-what-should-i-do"]http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support...hat-should-i-do[/url]

[quote name='feising' post='122086' date='Aug 26 2010, 04:35 PM']I have version 8.3.1 running on XP and Win 7 (laptop) and it intolerably slow. Today, it took me 18 minutes for the update to complete. If it does not improve I will have to delete it. Is it possible to get Ad-Aware without the AV portion?[/quote]
Running 8.3.1 here on W7 and it has not gotten any better. As in my earlier report, the update check (even with no new updates available) and application of updates take minutes and minutes and minutes.

Running Adaware 8.3.1 on Win XP. If the slowness problem does not get resolved soon, I will also be forced to discontinue use of Adaware. Simple updates take forever now.

[quote name='erpguy6' post='122571' date='Sep 13 2010, 06:28 PM']try installing or updating to Ad-aware 8.3.3, which came out recently.[/quote]

v8.3.3 just as bad - still taking forever to update, and its not the downloading causing the issue....

[quote name='Noddy' post='122869' date='Sep 23 2010, 07:08 PM']v8.3.3 just as bad - still taking forever to update, and its not the downloading causing the issue....[/quote]

Since the problem has not been fixed, I have been forced to uninstall Ad-Aware. Shame, since it used to be a very good product. Agreed that downloading is not the issue, and although my cpu usage and memory usage are not pegged, it is busy doing something (50% cpu usage) and the Update Manager is stuck on "Applying 54 Updates" as usual.

[quote name='pjc' post='122898' date='Sep 25 2010, 01:14 PM']Since the problem has not been fixed, I have been forced to uninstall Ad-Aware. Shame, since it used to be a very good product. Agreed that downloading is not the issue, and although my cpu usage and memory usage are not pegged, it is busy doing something (50% cpu usage) and the Update Manager is stuck on "Applying 54 Updates" as usual.[/quote]

Just took me over 20 minutes to install the latest updates.What a joke.Back to AE for now.

[quote name='Mike...' date='Jul 21 2010, 01:22 PM' post='121418']
You can say that again. I only manually update AA and it doesn't look like the actual downloads are taking a long time (I have a fast cable connection as well), it's the initial "update check" (even if there are no updates) and the application of downloaded updates/definitions.

I have a rather lame DSL link, and I just did a manual update of Total Security. The download took 45 seconds, and the following installation took an additional three minutes. I had noticed on earlier days that the system tray icon displayed the "updating" icon for a much longer time. That was using the scheduled updates (every morning). Maybe the problem IS in the scheduled update routines.

Same here: download speed isn't the problem, the download servers are fast. Problem is the slow start of the download manager and it takes veeeerrrry long 'applying updates'. In former versions the updates are applied in a few seconds, now it takes about half an hour even on a fast machine.

I now deinstalled version 8.3 completely and reinstalled 8.2.2. On the same machine, where 8.3 is slow like a snail, 8.2 now is fast and quick again. Also an intelligent scan now takes 4 min. again (over 30 min. with 8.3).

Maybe, another example where a formerly fast and slim software is developped into bloatware. Will we get back something like 'Ad Aware light' (only scanning on demand) which isn't overloaded with functions no one really needs? (Hint: most users already use some antivirus software, so Ad Aware don't need an additional antivirus scan too).

[quote name='kjz1' post='123056' date='Oct 2 2010, 01:00 PM']Same here: download speed isn't the problem, the download servers are fast. Problem is the slow start of the download manager and it takes veeeerrrry long 'applying updates'. In former versions the updates are applied in a few seconds, now it takes about half an hour even on a fast machine.[/quote]

I am experiencing the same situation after installing 8.3.3 which became 8.3.4. The Update Manager opens and does nothing for a long time (I haven't timed it precisely), then it downloads quickly, but takes forever to apply the updates. I've developed my own work around--I do my own manual updates at the start of my computer sessions so it's not an inconvenience for me to wait, but I have noticed how doggone slow it is. I used to have 8.1.4 which I had to get rid of when it morphed into a Beta Version. I like Ad-Aware and will keep my fingers crossed that the techies will come up with a fix for this soon.

[quote name='kjz1' post='123061' date='Oct 3 2010, 06:15 AM']Will we get back something like 'Ad Aware light' (only scanning on demand)[/quote]
We recommended that to Lavasoft a while ago, but I'm not sure it will happen. The revenue-generating side of the industry has been towards all-in-one products, which is why Lavasoft released 8.3 with free anti-virus and Total Security which includes their previously separate apps.

[quote name='OliveOyl' post='123062' date='Oct 3 2010, 11:26 AM']I used to have 8.1.4 which I had to get rid of when it morphed into a Beta Version.[/quote]
That was a temporary glitch which Lavasoft fixed:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=30032&st=0&p=122779&#entry122779"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry122779[/url]

If you reinstall 8.1.x, it should update properly now (although Lavasoft still recommends using the latest version).