Ad-Aware 8.3.0 is the SLOWEST for update

2 points
1 UPDATES ARE HORRIBLE i had 22 this morning im on xp
makes my computer run like 98 i cant get anything done

it was better as pulse update

2 where on this new forum gui is MARKED as READ
i liked the old vb better

how i fix undaate Edited by cootmaster

[quote name='cootmaster' post='123075' date='Oct 4 2010, 07:58 AM']2 where on this new forum gui is MARKED as READ[/quote]
On top right, under "Forum Options."

todays date 10-4-10

i have ad-aware version 8.3.4.

takes for ever to load , takes for ever to update and i mean like for ever !, it took 1.5 hours to update, took like 5 minutes to load.

in the past it did both fine.

you really need to improve the load times and update speed.

please fix this .

thanks.

[quote name='kissbaby' post='123085' date='Oct 4 2010, 09:58 PM']todays date 10-4-10

i have ad-aware version 8.3.4.

takes for ever to load , takes for ever to update and i mean like for ever !, it took 1.5 hours to update, took like 5 minutes to load.

in the past it did both fine.

you really need to improve the load times and update speed.

please fix this .

thanks.[/quote]

yup. same with my mom's Vista SP2 laptop [Intel Core Duo 1.8Ghz CPU, 1Gb RAM]. I've just updated to Ad-aware 8.3.4 on there and still applies & installs definition updates at a snail's pace. Its update manager can [b]download[/b] updates quickly but it took about 90 minutes to [b][i]install[/b][/i] them. unacceptable.

I won't install Ad-aware 8.3x on any slow computer less than a 1Ghz Intel Pentium 3 processor.
All the slow PCs me & my relatives have will continue to use Ad-aware AE v8.0x. Edited by erpguy6

[quote name='OliveOyl' post='123062' date='Oct 3 2010, 07:26 PM']I am experiencing the same situation after installing 8.3.3 which became 8.3.4. The Update Manager opens and does nothing for a long time (I haven't timed it precisely), then it downloads quickly, but takes forever to apply the updates. I've developed my own work around--I do my own manual updates at the start of my computer sessions so it's not an inconvenience for me to wait, but I have noticed how doggone slow it is. I used to have 8.1.4 which I had to get rid of when it morphed into a Beta Version. I like Ad-Aware and will keep my fingers crossed that the techies will come up with a fix for this soon.[/quote]

i have the newest version out, smae for me, downloading the updates is fine, but applying the updates took about 40 minutes one time , longer other times, and i have windows xp home sp3, 40 gig hard drive and 3 gigs of ram

Still the same here as well. An additional thought I'd like to discuss, the amount of updates.

I recently updated my mom's netbook after my parents came back from vacation. Last update was a month ago, right before they left.

It had to apply 150+ updates?! 150 for four weeks?! Suffice it to say, it took hours. We're talking about a very modest netbook after all, but still...

Sitting behind a relatively new computer now, Core i5 650, updated it a week ago, it's now applying 40 (?!) updates. Which gives me plenty of time to type this message...

Ad-Aware/Lavasoft is the new Norton.

:)

[quote name='Mike...' date='Oct 15 2010, 02:19 PM' post='123230']
Still the same here as well. An additional thought I'd like to discuss, the amount of updates.
(snip . . . snip)

The amount of updates, I suspect, reflects the activity level of the creators of trojans, worms, viruses and malware. I'd much rather have daily updates than no update for a week or two. In the latter case, I'm sure that my system would be well behind the introduction of new threats. I like to feel protected, and I do a daily manual update. Auto updates are not practible, due to the time to install them - *I* will choose the time that I want my system too busy to talk to me.

[quote]I'd much rather have daily updates than no update for a week or two.[/quote]
Oh, of course, but there is a difference between 150 updates for a month and 30. Especially if it takes ages to apply them all.

;)

A week and some 40 (?!) updates later and I've uninstalled Ad-Aware. It has grown beyond the on-demand anti-spyware scanner I've used it for for years. The current update mechanism just doesn't allow me to use it that way anymore. It's now more like, demand now, wait for it, then use it. Instead of the quick update and scan it was good for. And I have a good firewall and anti-virus combo already, so I don't need a second. Finally, I still have SpywareBlaster and Spybot and I never have malware issues in the first place, so Ad-Aware won't be missed terribly.

[quote name='martinsmithson' post='120966' date='Jul 11 2010, 07:14 AM']Ad-Aware 8.3.0 is the SLOWEST of ANY software PROGRAM that I have USED IN 15 YEARS of online updating.

The previous released took only seconds, sometimes - though rarely - a minute, maybe 90 seconds to update. This new 8.3.0 version has been taking anywhere between 2-1/2 to 10 minutes to update.

I am confident that there will be a few Ad-Aware moderators or like individuals whom will suggest the SLOW or LAGGING updates are due to their servers being overwhelmed by the BILLIONS of users updating to the latest version. While this may be plausible, it was NEVER this SLOW with 8.2.0 or 8.1.0 or 8.0.0 or any significant update in the past several years.

Any suggestions other than wiping Ad-Aware completely out of my system (which I have already done, twice, including but not limited to a manual scrubbing of my Registry and HDD)?

Puzzled,

Martin[/quote]

I have the same problem but tonight was the worst ever!!! 17 mins from launch to close! Normally it takes around 8 - 10 mins and has done for the last few months. Now I am getting really sick of sitting staring at a screen waiting to get on with some work and am on the point of deleting it for good and sticking to Spybot S&D( update download times 1 minute Consistently).
Over to you, Lavasoft.
Naebuddy

wow this is completely unacceptable. just downloaded and installed the latest version as ive heard this is decent protection. i just installed fresh download 1 hour ago. update is still sitting at applying update:extended definition: applying 211 updates.

finally finished . took about 1 hour 30 mins Edited by Trick

I have the latest version installed on freshly formatted Windows 7, at first it was kinda sluggish and I'm not sure what was the problem. But after few reboots, it updates normally. I don't know if there is a conflict with my Personal Firewall, I've got Comodo Internet Security as well. Maybe I should try to switch personal firewall.

Hello everyone

We have published the 8.3.5 update today, this should make the speed of applying updates about 4 times faster.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='123513' date='Nov 3 2010, 09:18 AM']Hello everyone

We have published the 8.3.5 update today, this should make the speed of applying updates about 4 times faster.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft[/quote]

Sorry guys I hate to tell you but my splash screen sits for well over 3 minutes just as before. When I launch the updater it sits and sits doing nothing for about 2 minutes before I get a response. It seems that nothing has changed at all as far as I am concerned. I am so disappointed Lavasoft, I had hoped you might have got it right.

[quote name='Supernoob' post='123393' date='Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM']I had a problem with downloading updates, it turned out it was Comodo Firewall.[/quote]

un-install any Comodo software ASAP. I've already lost respect for Comodo after an [url="http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22689347-Comodo-Continues-to-Damage-Its-Reputation"]embarrassing situation[/url] in the summer of 2009

[quote name='JoshS' post='123441' date='Oct 30 2010, 07:00 AM']I have the latest version installed on freshly formatted Windows 7, at first it was kinda sluggish and I'm not sure what was the problem. But after few reboots, it updates normally. I don't know if there is a conflict with my Personal Firewall, I've got Comodo Internet Security as well. Maybe I should try to switch personal firewall.[/quote]

and you should, JoshS.

Google Search on [url="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=comodo+damage+reputation&btnG=Google+Search"]Comodo's Damaged Reputation[/url].

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='123513' date='Nov 3 2010, 02:18 AM']Hello everyone

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft[/quote]

But only the "update" to Ad-aware 8.3.5. The full Ad-aware 8.3.5 setup installation package was released in late November, perhaps right around Thanksgiving. Downloaded it from the [url="http://www.filehippo.com/download_ad-aware/8841/"]Filehippo web site[/url].

I will say that the 8.3.5 version mostly resolved the ssslllllllooooooooowwwwwwwww updating process. Took around 15 minutes for Ad-aware 8.3.5 to download updated antispyware/antivirus definition files recently; the antivirus/viper def file was around 65Mb and took a while to download. Maybe if I got a much faster broadband connection it'll take less than 10 minutes to download that. And the program had updated itself to version 8.3.6.

In other words, good job, Lavasoft. at least you did something right with Ad-aware, this time. Edited by erpguy6