Sign in to follow this  
ala123

Ad-Aware Folders and AAWTray.exe and Scanning Speed

Thanks to a member here, I was able to install the latest version without a service installation error. I was able to remove most of the registry entries and files for all the previous versions of [i]Ad-Aware [/i]including [i]Ad-Aware 2007[/i]. [i]Ad-Aware 2007 [/i]was uninstallable with normal Uninstall methods on this computer. I had to go through several installs and removals. I executed the removals using the suggestion from the member here. I have observed some folders that still exist and seem connected to the [i]Ad-Aware [/i]program.

My first question: Is the folder [i]Ad-Aware 2007 [/i]safe to delete?

My second question: Are the folder and subfolder [i]Sunbelt Software [/i]and [i]CounterSpy[/i] in C:\Documents and Settings\*****\Local Settings\Application Data connected to [i]Ad-Aware 2007 [/i]or the new verson?

My third question is regarding [i]AAWTray.exe [/i]in v8.3. Is [i]AAWTray.exe [/i]no longer in the Startup List?

My final question is regarding the speed of a manual full scan using v8.3 with [i]Norton 360 [/i]running. I noticed the speed issue with the previous release too. Is it normal for [i]Ad-Aware [/i]to run a scan 2 or 3 times slower with [i]Norton 360 [/i]running?

[quote name='a123' post='121089' date='Jul 13 2010, 05:49 PM']My first question: Is the folder [i]Ad-Aware 2007 [/i]safe to delete?[/quote]
It should be, I believe 8.3 is now in a different folder. To be sure, try moving the 2007 folder to the recycle bin or another location and see if 8.3 still works. If it does, it should be safe to delete 2007.

[quote name='a123' post='121089' date='Jul 13 2010, 05:49 PM']My second question: Are the folder and subfolder [i]Sunbelt Software [/i]and [i]CounterSpy[/i] in C:\Documents and Settings\*****\Local Settings\Application Data connected to [i]Ad-Aware 2007 [/i]or the new verson?[/quote]
If you don't have any other Sunbelt Software installed, it's probably part of Ad-Aware since they use Sunbelt's rootkit removal system.

[quote name='a123' post='121089' date='Jul 13 2010, 05:49 PM']My third question is regarding [i]AAWTray.exe [/i]in v8.3. Is [i]AAWTray.exe [/i]no longer in the Startup List?[/quote]
Can't answer this since I still run Ad-Aware AE.

[quote name='a123' post='121089' date='Jul 13 2010, 05:49 PM']My final question is regarding the speed of a manual full scan using v8.3 with [i]Norton 360 [/i]running. I noticed the speed issue with the previous release too. Is it normal for [i]Ad-Aware [/i]to run a scan 2 or 3 times slower with [i]Norton 360 [/i]running?[/quote]
I don't have Norton, so can't verify - but when I run scans, I always turn off all other apps and disconnect from the internet so the scans have dedicated system resources. My full scans for AVG, Ad-Aware, Win Defender, and MS Malicious Software Removal tool all take about 90 mins for a full 80 gb drive.

[quote name='visitor' post='121094' date='Jul 14 2010, 12:09 AM']It should be, I believe 8.3 is now in a different folder. To be sure, try moving the 2007 folder to the recycle bin or another location and see if 8.3 still works. If it does, it should be safe to delete 2007.
If you don't have any other Sunbelt Software installed, it's probably part of Ad-Aware since they use Sunbelt's rootkit removal system.
Can't answer this since I still run Ad-Aware AE.
I don't have Norton, so can't verify - but when I run scans, I always turn off all other apps and disconnect from the internet so the scans have dedicated system resources. My full scans for AVG, Ad-Aware, Win Defender, and MS Malicious Software Removal tool all take about 90 mins for a full 80 gb drive.[/quote]

Thanks for the information

The manual scan appears to be taking over an hour for less than 15 gb of drive usage.