Sign in to follow this  
HelenGrace

Multiple malware

Hello,

In another of my posts I mentioned my fathers laptop which we had recently decided to protect with A-A Pro since his KIS2009 license was expired. Just today he was having trouble opening some programs including MS Office2003(Word,Excel etc.). I decided to run a scan of A-A-smart scan. Surely it found virus. W32.Sality.ek (v) - I think about 10 files were infected and it also found TrojanPWS.Magania, TrojanPWS.OnlineGames, TrojanPWS.WOW.BH, TrojanPWS.WOW.BJ, TrojanPWS.WOW.BK, TrojanPWS.WOW.BL, TrojanPWS.WOW.BO, Hacktool.Rootkit, Trojan.W32.Generic!BT - I did not count exactly how many and I did not list what files were infected. So A-A Pro suggested to reboot after scan so I did. I scan again and there it is again and the malware just seems to grow and seems to infect .exe files coz A-A keeps popping up a msg saying Ad Watch has detected ***.exe file being accessed by a maliscious process. The process name is W32.Sality.ek (v) (or other of the above mentioned malware). I think I even saw the AAWTray.exe or some other Ad-Aware file being opened by these malware. I just decided to turn off the laptop cz it seems A-A can't seem stop the multiple virus infection, just keeps popping up msgs that it detected this and that. I'm afraid for my fathers laptop, its a Compaq Presario V2000, it has Original WinXP SP3 Home but he does not have any installation CD for WinXP. Right now it seems bleak. What am I to do? It only has A-A Pro and Windows Firewall, I found it also had a Norton Security Scan but when I press this it pops up a message that says: You already have Norton System Works installed, do you want to run Norton System Works? so I press yes - but nothing happens( I don't think I see any Norton System Works in Add/Remove so I'm not sure why this is so). What to do now? Can A-A still handle this? I'm afraid to connect the laptop cz seems the virus just keeps spreading and infecting programs rendering them unusable. What now, Please its really terrible, I know its just a computer but .........HELP!!!

Right now I'm using my own laptop to access intrnet, I'm afraid to use any usb drives on this infected laptop cz it might spread to our other PCs. I scanned my fathers personnal usb in another of our PC with KIS2009 which has not yet expired but will expire soon and it did find files infected with various malware including W32.Sality. I just hope that PC is still OK and it was really cleaned cz its the main PC. Edited by HelenGrace

W32.Sality.ek alone is nasty as it's a patching virus which prevents all executables from launching even freshly download things become patched, then there is the root kits, as i know how to remove and fix this problem as my Qualification is removing pesky malware, I'm not able too provide any help due the rules on the forum so i do apologies, the only thing i can do is point you too this thread [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=36"]Hijack-this thread[/url] and explain your problem and let the experts there assist you, I'm sure they can help you remedy this for your father, i hope your issue is fixed soon.

Thank You

Computer Wizard

Yep, all you can do here is post in the HJT forum. I just got hit by a drive-by myself - ironically, from a malware forum like this, speaking of which, I've sent you a PM Computer Wizard since it was one of those links I gave you for GeeksToGo or MalwareRemoval.com. Maybe I'll see you over in the HJT forum HelenGrace :)