Sign in to follow this  
p4wl

Ad Aware shut down unexpectedly during scan

Have you received a response yet? I have had the same problem for months with the professional edition that I paid for. This problem persists despite several updates. A little annoying isn't it?!!

[quote name='UserOfAdaware' post='122204' date='Aug 31 2010, 11:58 AM']Have you received a response yet? I have had the same problem for months with the professional edition that I paid for.[/quote]
Lavasoft response in post #21 here. Since you have a paid version, you should contact Customer Support via the link in my signature. They might be able to get you a fix before an official release of an update for the free version.

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='122105' date='Aug 27 2010, 09:52 AM']Hello everyone

We are currently working on a fix for this issue, we have identified the root cause and will hopefully publish a fix soon.

The issue seems to be caused when scanning archives, so, in the meant time you can either run a smart scan, or you can create a profile scan with everything but archives turned on... This will accomplish the same as a full scan.

I will post here when we have published a fix.

Best regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft[/quote]

That's great news, Jeff! I'll be checking Replies here every hour. ;)

BTW, for what it's worth,

Last Current Object showing in scan window is always c:\windows\syswow64\wsmauto.dll when it crashes.

Hey everybody

We have just published the 8.3.2 update, which should resolve this issue for you.

Please confirm here if it has or has not resolved it for you.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft QA team leader

[quote name='UserOfAdaware' post='122262' date='Sep 2 2010, 08:49 PM']Unfortunately, the 8.3.2 update hasn't resolved the problem for me, I still have the exact same error message.[/quote]

me too, i still have the exact error message... I sent the report to Lavasoft

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Well I downloaded it last night round 10:30
got hit with a trojan Avg got one and the other was loose and I know I had to get some SnitchWare in too! Took 25 min installing 85 updates.

Why does a newly dropped program need that many updates?? and then it took 25 min applying htem I had to get to bed so turned the system off. Today after work brought it up tried a scan and it shut down durring it.

I figured it was because if the updates weren't installed properily so tried again had 90 today! it got thru in about 15min! Much better than yesterday,.....Then onto the scan. Twice it found 2 things and shut down after about 60,000 files.......so went to the Short Scan. it came up with the 2 again I stopped it and it gave what they were SnitchWare and that missing Trojan...I really though I'd manually deleted it off last night but one never knows! And started the short scan. Got thru it with No Shut down, am now trying the Full Scan.

the Version I got off Cnet last night it 8.0.0
where does one get this 8.3.2 to try!

all you got here is the Paid version
cause that FREE with TRIAL!.....NO!
I don't have the money to waste on trials cause right now I just don't have the money to waste if I did I might get the paid version....but right now with how the FREE ISN'T WORKING not like that is going to happen![/font]

so no the problem Ain't Fixed :angry: and I can't see a way to get to the NEW FIXED program so I guess I can't be fixed! :(

[quote name='gypsymuse' post='122271' date='Sep 2 2010, 07:11 PM']the Version I got off Cnet last night it 8.0.0
where does one get this 8.3.2 to try![/quote]
This page redirects to CNET, or you can use any of the mirrors by clicking "More Download Sites":

[url="http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php"]http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php[/url]

It should be the 8.3 installer, and the latest 8.3.2 should be downloaded along with the updated definitions, or you can click "update."

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='122249' date='Sep 2 2010, 02:14 PM']Hey everybody

We have just published the 8.3.2 update, which should resolve this issue for you.

Please confirm here if it has or has not resolved it for you.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft QA team leader[/quote]

This is weird, I think....... The 8.3.2 update now allows [b][i]Smart Scan[/i][/b] to run completely, but [b][i]Full Scan[/i][/b] still crashes.

But, seriously, do I really need a Full Scan if Smart Scan picked up 137 Objects?

Hey everyone

Sorry to hear this has not resolved the issue for you guys.

I would ask for a bit of help to solve this for you... When you submit your crashes it goes in to our crash dump system... Unfortunately, we can only see the result of the crash in the code, we do not see the symptom of it like you guys do. So, it is quite hard for us to judge which crash is the one you are experiencing... So, we fixed a crash, but not the one you folks are getting...

So, I would like to collect the crash dump directly from you. Please follow these steps...

1) When the crash happens, [b]do not click OK or cancel.[/b]
2) Browse to the following folder:
XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Crashdumps\"
Vista and 7 "C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Crashdumps\"
3) Copy any files located in the folder
4) Send me a PM and I will write back with a location you can upload the crash dump to.

Thank you everyone for your help and patience.

Kindest Regards,

[quote]1) When the crash happens, [b]do not click OK or cancel.[/b]
2) Browse to the following folder:
XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Crashdumps\"
Vista and 7 "C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Crashdumps\"
3) Copy any files located in the folder
4) Send me a PM and I will write back with a location you can upload the crash dump to.

Thank you everyone for your help and patience.

Kindest Regards,

OK I'll run it

HOWEVER
for CNET and having the new version
I jsut checked 5 min ago and all they have up is 8.3.1!!

Why Ad-Aware ® Free Internet Security 8.3.2 version stops unexpectedly when I do a complete scan? Ad-Aware was stopped unexpectedly and generates a report of errors. Click OK to send the report. Before this gave no problem, once the power was gone for several hours while he was doing the full scan.

Why Ad-Aware ® Free Internet Security 8.3.2 version stops unexpectedly when I make the full scan? Ad-Aware was stopped unexpectedly and generated an error report. Click on OK to send the report. Before did not give this problem, only once had gone forth the current for a few hours while he was performing a complete scan.

Before this gave no problem, once the power was gone for several hours while he was doing the full scan.

Before did not give this problem, only once had gone forth the current for a few hours while he was performing a complete scan.

Already tried to uninstall and install it again. The problem exists only for the full scan, not that smart.

Operating system: Windows® 64 bit Home Premium. Browser: Internet Explorer 8 32 bit.

Also installed Ad-Aware drivers for 64-bit version operating system.

I have also installed Avira free, but it is not antispyware. Edited by Seeley

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29922"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29922[/url]

Same problem, still waiting for a resolution.

[quote name='johnb927' post='122416' date='Sep 7 2010, 12:41 PM'][url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29922"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29922[/url]

Same problem, still waiting for a resolution.[/quote]
Actually, that link is to the shutdown during *update* which may be different than shutdown during *scan*. I've merged Seeley's post with the shutdown during *scan* topic.

We now have problems with unexpected shutdown during:
- startup
- scan
- update
- Ad-watch monitoring

There are separate topics for each, and links provided to Lavasoft, so please post in the appropriate topics or I will have to move/merge them together to keep things straight so Lavasoft doesn't have to scour the board looking for a gazillion different posts :)

Hello everyone

This one should do it for you.
Versions 8.3.3

Please note: This is a fix only for the scan crash.

Please let me know on this thread if it has worked for all of you.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with crash dumps for this issue.

Kindest Regards

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='122434' date='Sep 8 2010, 04:47 AM']Hello everyone

This one should do it for you.
Versions 8.3.3

Please note: This is a fix only for the scan crash.

Please let me know on this thread if it has worked for all of you.

Thanks to everyone who helped out with crash dumps for this issue.

Kindest Regards

Hi. I have been running 8.3.3 for a few weeks now - or should I say, I have been crashing with 8.3.3 for a few weeks - so it's [u]not[/u] an automatic fix. Manual scans have the same problem, but I haven't tried without scanning the archives.

I have XP, with Spybot (manual scan only) and AVG. But, I had both of these with the previous version, and didn't experience any problems. I am going to unistall and reinstall and see if it works - and will repost shortly.

[quote name='BBBB' post='122437' date='Sep 8 2010, 03:14 PM']Hi. I have been running 8.3.3 for a few weeks now - or should I say, I have been crashing with 8.3.3 for a few weeks - so it's [u]not[/u] an automatic fix. Manual scans have the same problem, but I haven't tried without scanning the archives.

I have XP, with Spybot (manual scan only) and AVG. But, I had both of these with the previous version, and didn't experience any problems. I am going to unistall and reinstall and see if it works - and will repost shortly.[/quote]

Hello BBBB

8.3.3 was only release a few hours ago. Please try an update and see if it resolves your problem.

Regards,

Crushdumps

AAWService_42f8a1f0-c39c-4309-96c3-0349d90724ba_2010_09_02_10_00_03.dmp

AAWService_42f8a1f0-c39c-4309-96c3-0349d90724ba_2010_09_02_10_00_03.dmp Edited by visitor

well I sent mine in yesterday had to get walked thru FTP
Might have had the puter for 10 years that's something I've not done before!

was hoping to hear that it showed OK

Oh well I'm trying and so is it!!

still waiting

[quote name='gypsymuse' post='122469' date='Sep 9 2010, 10:32 AM']well I sent mine in yesterday had to get walked thru FTP
Might have had the puter for 10 years that's something I've not done before!

was hoping to hear that it showed OK

Oh well I'm trying and so is it!!

still waiting[/quote]

Hey Gypsymuse

We did receive your crash dumps, and used them to publish this fix...

I wasn't sure if you are indicating that it has resolved for you or not?

Please perform and update and give it a try.