Sign in to follow this  
nigelsnape

Ad-Aware 8.3.1 shuts down unexpectedly on start-up

Since upgrading the free edition of Ad-Aware to version 8.3.1 I have started getting error messages when I start the PC saying "Ad-Aware has shut down unexpectedly and generated an error report" . I've sent the reports each time this happens. The problem doesn't occur everytime, but about 50% of the time.

I've downloaded afresh, uninstalled and re-installed but the problem is still occurring.

I'm using Vista and running Ad-Aware alongside Zone Alarm and Avast Anti-virus but these programs were running alongside each other before I upgraded without any problem.

I've seen the earlier thread about Ad-Aware unexpectedly shutting down during scans but this is different, it's happening on start up.

Anyone know of a solution?

Confused

It's good you sent the reports to Lavasoft - they think they've nailed down the problem with shutdowns during scans, so hopefully a fix for the startup glitch is not far behind. Since it happens only sometimes, I'm guessing it has to do with the prolonged update process while Ad-Aware downloads and loads new definitions and software updates. There have been a lot of complaints, and Lavasoft is working on a solution.

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='122290' date='Sep 3 2010, 01:15 AM']Hey everyone

Sorry to hear this has not resolved the issue for you guys.

I would ask for a bit of help to solve this for you... When you submit your crashes it goes in to our crash dump system... Unfortunately, we can only see the result of the crash in the code, we do not see the symptom of it like you guys do. So, it is quite hard for us to judge which crash is the one you are experiencing... So, we fixed a crash, but not the one you folks are getting...

So, I would like to collect the crash dump directly from you. Please follow these steps...

1) When the crash happens, [b]do not click OK or cancel.[/b]
2) Browse to the following folder:
XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Crashdumps\"
Vista and 7 "C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Crashdumps\"
3) Copy any files located in the folder
4) Send me a PM and I will write back with a location you can upload the crash dump to.

Thank you everyone for your help and patience.

Kindest Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft QA team leader[/quote]