Sign in to follow this  
jrealing

Ad-Aware 8.3.2 update problem

As of yesterday 5 Sept. 2010, when I did an update I got half way through the update it quit with "Ad-Aware was shut down unexpectedly and has generated an error report" I sent the report. At the time I was in Win XP 32-bit. I rebooted the System. And started up Win7 Ultimate 64-bit and try-ed updating it. That went without any problems.

So today 6 Sept. 2010, I booted into Win XP 32-bit again and try-ed to update again. Well I got the same thing as the day before. It seam to update as normal then I got the same error " Ad-Aware was shut down unexpectedly and has generated an error report" Again. I haven't try-ed Win 7 again, but at this point I'm thinking its Win XP 32-bit that is having the problem. I did try to update a second time but I get the MSG that my soft ware is up to date.

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='122290' date='Sep 3 2010, 01:15 AM']Hey everyone

Sorry to hear this has not resolved the issue for you guys.

I would ask for a bit of help to solve this for you... When you submit your crashes it goes in to our crash dump system... Unfortunately, we can only see the result of the crash in the code, we do not see the symptom of it like you guys do. So, it is quite hard for us to judge which crash is the one you are experiencing... So, we fixed a crash, but not the one you folks are getting...

So, I would like to collect the crash dump directly from you. Please follow these steps...

1) When the crash happens, [b]do not click OK or cancel.[/b]
2) Browse to the following folder:
XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Crashdumps\"
Vista and 7 "C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Crashdumps\"
3) Copy any files located in the folder
4) Send me a PM and I will write back with a location you can upload the crash dump to.

Thank you everyone for your help and patience.

Kindest Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft QA team leader[/quote]

Jeff,

OK! did as I said I would do in my last post. Well the out come was or went like this. It down loaded the fill installed it with out any problems. Not sure it was the file that caused the problem, but it did update. This is more then likely an intermittent problem and doesn't alway happen. If it happens again I'll do as you mentioned. Thanks for the help.

John

This is still screwed up.

I uninstalled, DLed Ad Aware Free, re-installed. Updated. Update manager earlier today was
listing 98 updates, but latest try said 99, so I was hoping it included a fix. Took forever to
install the update.

No luck, same problem.

I used Spybot S&D earlier today. System is Windows 7, Dell Studio.

Not seeing this problem on my laptop, running XP.

And I can't find the file you listed above for Windows 7, "C:\ProgramData...", or I would just attach a copy here. Edited by johnb927

[quote name='johnb927' post='122367' date='Sep 6 2010, 12:28 PM']This is still screwed up.

I uninstalled, DLed Ad Aware Free, re-installed. Updated. Update manager earlier today was
listing 98 updates, but latest try said 99, so I was hoping it included a fix. Took forever to
install the update.

No luck, same problem.

I used Spybot S&D earlier today. System is Windows 7, Dell Studio.

Not seeing this problem on my laptop, running XP.

And I can't find the file you listed above for Windows 7, "C:\ProgramData...", or I would just attach a copy here.[/quote]

I'm having the exact same issue. Brand new computer, so brand new install. Gateway, Win 7 64-bit. Not really freezing, but not moving beyond the "99 updates" point in the install. Using Task Manager to force it to close triggers a reboot and Ad-Aware opens upon reboot, which makes it look like everything is fine. But it still won't update. It opens the update manager, but nothing happens. Again, the computer is not frozen, but the software is not doing anything either.

Crystal:

Let the update manager just sit for at least a half hour, to see if it won't go on through.
Mine finally did, but did not cure the core problem of Ad Aware crashing.

johnb927

Hmmm. Seems to have worked. Ad-Aware even ran a scan successfully. I've never had Ad-Aware take a half hour+ to update before, though. Thank you for the help! I appreciate it!

You're welcome-I'm glad one of us has gotten somewhere with this.

AA better get this sorted out quickly. I've been happy with it til now. But there are plenty of \
other freeware products with similar capabilities. Not gonna jack around too long with one
that's so improved it quits doing what I need it for.

OK, so I tried a full scan again tonight, and it went off just fine. I did not update AA, unless it has some sort of automatic updating built in.

So I guess I'm a happy camper now.