Sign in to follow this  
polaris

Ad-aware runnig tooooo (painfully).....slooooow

I updated (re-installed the latest), after completely uninstalling the previous version.

But, when I run it, it is running really, really, D*mn sloooooow! Its still running on C: drive even after -------- 4 hrs 30 mins!!!!!! -- @object scanning is at 62K

I've never seen Ad-aware so sloooow! BTW, the total number of files/objects to be scanned, more or less has been always around ~70K

Whats' going on?? Please let me know.

-- Edited by polaris

Try unplugging from the internet and turning off any other running apps. It may be a conflict, especially if you're running any real-time protection software.

If that is the case, nothing can be running! It was not like this before, a couple of years ago.

Also, I'm finding that the (Applying) update is taking forever! i.e. after completing huge downloads. What's going on with Ad-Aware program???

One of the things, selling features were that it was faster than the competition. Whatever happened. ...Now, it seem is all just doing is spinning wheels, for what, I don't know? Now, who would think of buying, paying for it??

[quote name='polaris' post='123148' date='Oct 8 2010, 10:41 PM']Also, I'm finding that the (Applying) update is taking forever! i.e. after completing huge downloads. What's going on with Ad-Aware program???[/quote]

I'm pleased to say I don't see the slow scanning problem but I have to agree that the updating process has become ridiculously slow.

Before, I used to think of running a quick scan if I had a few minutes to spare. Now, I don't think of it unless I've at least half an hour free :huh: and most of the time, simply avoid using it altogether. I always thought Ad-Aware was a good application. Now it's just becoming too cumbersome to use regularly. :)

Well, it seems folks at Lavasoft have become ....too blissfully Ad-UNaware... of their product!! :sleep:

It grew from a few megabytes to 100's of MB, and goes on forever blissfully ...shuffling bytes...spinning wheels...grabbing all cpu resources ...or whatever else it is doing, undoing :) ... but totally UN-aware of its purpose?

Lavasoft has lost its mission or purpose...? :huh: :lol: Edited by polaris

[quote name='polaris' post='123148' date='Oct 8 2010, 10:41 PM']If that is the case, nothing can be running! It was not like this before, a couple of years ago.

Also, I'm finding that the (Applying) update is taking forever! i.e. after completing huge downloads. What's going on with Ad-Aware program???

One of the things, selling features were that it was faster than the competition. Whatever happened. ...Now, it seem is all just doing is spinning wheels, for what, I don't know? Now, who would think of buying, paying for it??[/quote]

i totally agree with Polaris.

Over the last 1 -2 years ad-aware has become painfully slow in scanning and updating. :)

I have noticed that the following 2 process 'Ad-AwareAdmin.exe'' and 'AAWService.exe' now take FOREVER TO RUN THEIR COURSE. And whilst they are running, the CPU resources rocket up to 95-100% almost freezing out my PC for other tasks. It has almost got to the point where I will have to serioulsy think of removing my Free Ad-Aware all together !

And if my free version proves to be very top heavy and resource intensive why oh why would anybody want to consider obtaining the paid up version !

COME ON LAVASOFT - WHATS GOING ON? YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS

[quote name='surfing69' post='123166' date='Oct 10 2010, 12:10 PM']i totally agree with Polaris.

Over the last 1 -2 years ad-aware has become painfully slow in scanning and updating. :angry:

COME ON LAVASOFT - WHATS GOING ON? YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS[/quote]

I have the same problems, I have version 8.3.3, Ad-Aware takes forever to scan and to update, scanning (not even the complete one by the way) can take over 2 hours and updating 30 minutes. All the latest versions are like this. On top of this, I'm on Windows 7 64 bits with 8 Gig RAM with a 4 core 3.2 Giz CPU and yet it's incredibly painfully slow. Ad-Aware has turned into a bloatware. Spyware Terminator does more, better and faster, the file is much smaller and there is even a 64 bits version, and it's free. Edited by Nothingness

Perhaps they need to upgrade there download servers or something.
Tips to speed up your computer;

Defrag
Clean Registry
Clean Temporary Files
Disable Un-needed Services

With ever increasing security demands, and the further progress with computers most normally have 4GB of RAM or more, Ad-Aware must move with the flow.

If it's running so slow, did try to monitor on your Task Manager on which file taking most of the CPU or RAM resources? There might be other applications running in conflict. First thing I check when there is a slow down is Task Manager. If I found nothing there, there might be some other conflicts.

Hello everyone

We have published the 8.3.5 update today, this should make the speed of applying updates about 4 times faster.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft