• Announcements

• LS.Andy

Support for other products than adaware, ad block, web protection and Web Companion   05/05/2017

Support for the following products is handled by the Lavasoft support team: Lavasoft Tuneup Kit Lavasoft PC Optimizer Lavasoft Driver Updater Lavasoft Registry Tuner Lavasoft Privacy Toolbox Lavasoft File Shredder Lavasoft Digital Lock

For help with these products, contact the support team here: http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

Sign in to follow this  
Kester Curr

False Positive Trojan.Win32.Generic.pak!cobra

Hi,

Ad-Aware Free version 8.3.4 (with latest updates) is stating that an Ashampoo PowerUp XP Platinum 2 file (puxpman2.exe in my Windows\System32 folder) is Trojan.Win32.Generic.pak!cobra. I have ascertained from Ashampoo that this is a false positive. I have even uninstalled Powerup from my system completely and then downloaded and installed the latest version of the same application from Ashampoo (as they advised) but still Ad-Aware claims the trojan is present and still points to the registry item that points to the suspect file.

Other anti-malware software I run on my system does not detect anything untoward regarding puxpman2.exe.

I have attached the logfile and a zipped copy of the suspect file.

Thank you.

Hi ChrisN,

Thanks for your post - we will investigate and report back.

Regards,

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Labs

Hi ChrisN,

This is indeed a false positive and will be corrected in the next definitions update later today.

Regards,

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Labs

[quote name='LS Andy' post='123373' date='Oct 25 2010, 04:07 PM']Hi ChrisN,

This is indeed a false positive and will be corrected in the next definitions update later today.

Regards,

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Labs[/quote]

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your efforts. I can confirm that the latest update for Ad-Aware (downloaded and installed this morning - Tuesday 26 October 2010) has solved the problem and that my puxpman2.exe file is no longer shown as being infected with Trojan.Win32.Generic.pak!cobra.

Best regards, Chris.

Sign in to follow this