Sign in to follow this  
jpmv

Ad-Aware hangs at "Loading..."

Running XP and the latest version of Ad-Aware, the program seems to get stuck upon start-up at the "Loading..." message. Help? I looked at other posts and could not tell if they related to this problem or not. Any input welcome.

To add a bit of detail, I just restarted and up came the Ad-Aware Update Manager which glacially indicated "Overall progress" and that it was downloading cetain files (CSC39-EN-7143-7144-I.sbr.sgn.file size 430K). After about a minuete it said "Applying update: Extended definition: applying 1 update".

Then the update screen went away for a while (one minute). Then the Aware Update manager came back on, showed no progress, then it went away as well.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I perhaps should add that it seems I'm having problems with svchost.exe. Avast comes up a few times an hour indicating a "threat has been detected" so I think some virus or other is going after that service. And sometimes svchost takes over the cpu entirely and the machine stops operating. Edited by jpmv

I've found in the past when you see the " loading please wait " splash screen if you click on it, it would load up as it should do but if that doesn't work you can try restarting the the AAWservice, also if avast is alerting you that your svchost is being targeted i would hope that avast would detect the threat upon a full system scan if not, it might be a drive-by though it could be a your typical Trojan.

If i was you i would deal with the svchost issue first by making a post in the [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=36"]Hijack-this Forum[/url] and get some assistance in removing the culprit of malicious behavior

Goodluck

Computer Wizard

Probably something is conflicting it during startup. You might want to check your startup applications. HijackThis is one application to use or you can use Systernals Autoruns... I prefer to use this as it has much detailed info about all the auto startup apps.