Sign in to follow this  
macko1944

Ad Aware Antivirus

No matter how many times I uncheck "antivirus engine" it keeps coming back and thus causes problems in my computer(such as neither of them working according to automatic notice from Microsoft).Is there a way to PERMANENTLY uncheck Ad Aware's antivirus?One doesn't (can not!)use two at the same time and I prefer to stay with the one I have been using.I am tired of having to check time and again,and finding that the Ad Aware antivirus engine re-installs itself as I open my pc and by the time I am about to close it,so it causes problems.
If there is no solution to this,I regretfully have to get rid of Ad Aware,which I had been using for years and am fond of,for I am sure it is a very useful tool,but since the new version came with antivirus(why????),it has done nothing but causes problems.I use XP and Vista(both Premium Home Editions),and my regular (very efficient)antivirus is Avira Antivir Personal Edition.
Need help with this please!Thanks very much!http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon8.gif

There's been a problem with various settings re-enabling themselves which has been reported to Lavasoft. I think the anti-virus engine happens when the engine update is downloaded and installed. Try turning off Ad-Watch completely so there's no resident protection - that should allow you to scan on-demand only. Also, turn off auto-update so you can download on-demand also.

[quote name='visitor' post='123590' date='Nov 8 2010, 10:58 AM']There's been a problem with various settings re-enabling themselves which has been reported to Lavasoft. I think the anti-virus engine happens when the engine update is downloaded and installed. Try turning off Ad-Watch completely so there's no resident protection - that should allow you to scan on-demand only. Also, turn off auto-update so you can download on-demand also.[/quote]

Thanks very much,will try this solution.If possible please let us(users)know when this problem is solved,so that one can go back to the usual usage of Ad Aware without incurring the above problem.Thanks again!

FOLLOWED ALL YOUR ADVICE,YET WHEN I RAN AD AWARE AT THE END OF MY SESSION,LO AND BEHOLD THE [u][/u]ANTIVIRUS ENGINE WAS RIGHT BACK CHECKED IN.Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!
It seems that it has a life of it's own and there is no way to keep it off(thus messing with the main antivirus of my system.
I wish we could have the one we had before this new system(before September,before the antivirus appeared at all.It worked so well!!Please consider this-if as a second choice!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='macko1944' post='123596' date='Nov 8 2010, 03:28 PM']If possible please let us(users)know when this problem is solved[/quote]
We update when Lavasoft lets us know. You can check the sticky topic "software updates" to see more info.

[quote name='macko1944' post='123598' date='Nov 8 2010, 05:08 PM']I wish we could have the one we had before this new system(before September,before the antivirus appeared[/quote]
You can download prior versions from filehippo.com - look for them in the right margin. Just beware - using update downloads software and definitions. To update definitions only need to be done manually:

[url="http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/faqs/i-cannot-update-the-definitions-file-what-should-i-do"]http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support...hat-should-i-do[/url] Edited by visitor