Sign in to follow this  
mattklionsky

Zero 'scanned objects' - in 50+ hours

I recently downloaded/installed the current FREE version of AdAware. It lives on a W2K laptop that also runs AVAST antivirus. The program opens, and all expected buttons are there and seem functional (i.e., none are 'greyed out), but when I initiate 'system scan', it doesn't seem that anything actually gets scanned, no matter how long I wait. Even after 50 hrs of runtime, the 'scanned objects' counter stays at a big ZERO and the 'current section' labels sits at 'Rootkits'. However, the moving progress bar skips along, just as if it was actually doing something. Windows Task Manager says the AdAware ap is running, but the Taskmanager Process index says that 'AAWTray' (which I assume to be the AdAware service engine?) has used just 3 seconds of CPU time, while occupying 1.4 MB of RAM and 2.2 MB of VM. Oh, my system does meet Ad Aware specs for available RAM, HD space, CPU speed, etc., and it was defragged just before installing the software. (Old AdAware version from about 2006 is still installed on machine, in case that matters; it scans fine, but there haven't been any definition updates for it for a long time, so it is really sort of useless at this point.)

Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? :) Edited by visitor
deleted email for privacy - all responses posted here for benefit of all

[quote name='mattklionsky' post='123842' date='Nov 24 2010, 01:03 AM']I recently downloaded/installed the current FREE version of AdAware. It lives on a W2K laptop that also runs AVAST antivirus. The program opens, and all expected buttons are there and seem functional (i.e., none are 'greyed out), but when I initiate 'system scan', it doesn't seem that anything actually gets scanned, no matter how long I wait. Even after 50 hrs of runtime, the 'scanned objects' counter stays at a big ZERO and the 'current section' labels sits at 'Rootkits'. However, the moving progress bar skips along, just as if it was actually doing something. Windows Task Manager says the AdAware ap is running, but the Taskmanager Process index says that 'AAWTray' (which I assume to be the AdAware service engine?) has used just 3 seconds of CPU time, while occupying 1.4 MB of RAM and 2.2 MB of VM. Oh, my system does meet Ad Aware specs for available RAM, HD space, CPU speed, etc., and it was defragged just before installing the software. (Old AdAware version from about 2006 is still installed on machine, in case that matters; it scans fine, but there haven't been any definition updates for it for a long time, so it is really sort of useless at this point.)

Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? :)

Responses to email klionsky at ameritech.net appreciated[/quote]

ALSO - ADDEDNUM - forgot to mention - the 'stop scan' button doesn't work; I have to close the program to make it stop.

Hey there mattklionsky,

Sorry to hear your having issues executing a scan, let me suggest a couple of things to try

1. Exclude Ad-aware via avasts interface so avast doesn't scan ad-aware
-AAWservice
-AAWtray
-C:\Program Files\ ( that's the path to where you need to look for ad-aware and exclude the whole EXE )

2. temporarily shut down avast while executing a scan with ad-aware ( disconnect from the internet before doing this don't need you getting infected during this :) )

Goodluck

CW

It's usually better to uninstall older versions before installing new ones. Ad-Aware is quite different now than 2006, but just in case there are common files or registry entries which might be confusing 8.3.