Sign in to follow this  
bag06a

32 bit programs now non-functional

Question

Hey everyone, I have a problem here and hopefully some of you have some insight. I was recently infected by a couple malicious items so I ran ad-aware to remove them. Ad-aware did it's job in finding and removing them, but I had some bad consequences. Upon rebooting it did a boot clean (which I will post the log of at end of post) and then resumed loading windows. When windows was finished loading and I logged on I was unable to run most programs. Worried that maybe not everything was removed I tried to open ad-aware....nothing opened. I then tried to load firefox....same thing, nothing; IE....nothing. After trying a few things and none of them being successful, I restored my computer to an earlier point in time. Doing so fixed the problem, but the malicious item returned as well. So I again ran ad-aware, it found items, I removed them, it did the boot clean, and bam same problem again. This time I noticed a pattern, the only programs I couldn't load were 32 bit. I am running windows 7 pro 64 bit (thank God they included a 64 bit version of IE!). It seems that ad-aware (or the virus essentially) may have attached itself to the WOW64 emulator. Problem is that I dont know how to fix that (and hopefully it doesn't involved a complete restoral of windows or my hard drive). Any of you have any suggestions?

----Boot clean logs----

Log 1

[quote][~] Cleaning started at 2010-11-20 14:06
[~] Preparing to execute queued commands
[~] Deleting file: C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Local\Temp\xcnosrmeaw.exe
[~] Deleting file: C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Local\Temp\narxcwmeso.exe
[~] Deleting file: C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_drqueue-setup_0_63_2.zip\drqueue-setup_0.63.2.exe
[~] Deleting file: C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Local\Temp\wrnecsmaxo.exe
[~] Finished processing queued commands[/quote]

Log 2

[quote][~] Cleaning started at 2010-11-23 13:36
[~] Preparing to execute queued commands
[~] Deleting file: C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp1_drqueue-setup_0_63_2.zip\drqueue-setup_0.63.2.exe
[~] Deleting file: C:\Program Files (x86)\drqueue\bin\drqman.exe
[~] Deleting file: C:\Users\Ben\Downloads\drqueue-setup_0_63_2.zip
[~] Deleting file: C:\Windows\Temp\itev.tmp\setup.exe
[~] Finished processing queued commands[/quote]

1 answer to this question

Hey there BenG,

I'm sorry to hear your unable to run some programs, I've personally encountered this issue myself but everything wouldn't work but Ad-aware, how i fixed such a troublesome issue was i used the program compatibility wizard, it seemed to do the job very well.

Goodluck

CW