Sign in to follow this  
ssuzzzzz

won't connect to service - tried all the stuff

Hi, I've tried all the fixes and I can't get adaware to work.
I used spybot and it fixed some problems mostly browser issues. I have a log file from hijackthis but I don't know how to use it. The PC seems to be running a bit slow but these probs could be due to the browser?
I get a little box on starting adaware with 'connection to service failed'.
I did update the 8.3 version, it looked like it took.
I don't know what to do now.
Help.
I'm running on xp and mcaffee scan.
Sue.

[quote name='sue hacking' post='123975' date='Dec 1 2010, 10:24 AM']I get a little box on starting adaware with 'connection to service failed'.
Help.
Sue.[/quote]
I am having the same problem getting updates, with the message " Connection error, check your settings (Errorcode -1)" Updates worked fine prior to today so I am wondering if there is a problem with the Lavasoft server. I have attached a screenshot of the error message.

Nigel Edited by nigelb

Read the pinned post in this forum regarding connection problems and checked everything. I did a complete Revo uninstall and then reinstalled Ad-Aware. Had the same problem with conecting for updates as in my post above!

Help!!

Nigel

Just to clarify, I think you're having separate problems. "Connection to service" means the Ad-Aware service may not be running. Go to start -> run -> type "services.msc" without quotes. Look for Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service on the list, and make sure it's started and automatic.

"Connection error, check your settings" I believe is the update error when Ad-Aware cannot establish an internet connection with the update server. Make sure permission is granted in your firewall, if applicable. Otherwise it may be on Lavasoft's end if only the current update is having this problem.

Also, if this is happening just at startup, wait until boot completes and try again. Lavasoft takes a long time to load, and it may be trying to update/initialize before the service can connect.

[quote name='visitor' date='Dec 2 2010, 09:40 AM' post='123983']
Just to clarify, I think you're having separate problems. "Connection to service" means the Ad-Aware service may not be running. Go to start -> run -> type "services.msc" without quotes. Look for Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service on the list, and make sure it's started and automatic.

Hi yes they are separate, I had no problem with update. I have done all the things in the advice doc on this forum inc above. The service is set at automatic but has not started. When I click start, it gives the message
"could not start the Lavasoft service on local computer
Error 3 the system cannot find the path specified"
How do I help it find the path? the path on properties seems greyed out and can't be written into. Sue.

Apologies for misunderstanding Sue's original post. They are seperate problems and I still can't get updates, but unlike Sue, my Ad-Aware service is fine.

[quote name='sue hacking' post='123991' date='Dec 2 2010, 03:48 AM']The service is set at automatic but has not started. When I click start, it gives the message
"could not start the Lavasoft service on local computer
Error 3 the system cannot find the path specified"
How do I help it find the path? the path on properties seems greyed out and can't be written into. Sue.[/quote]
Did you do a default installation or maybe a custom installation not on C: drive? If prompted, be sure to send the error report to Lavasoft. I recall someone here did a custom installation, and Ad-Aware still installed things on the C: drive which was not intended by the user.

[quote name='visitor' post='124008' date='Dec 5 2010, 03:52 PM']Did you do a default installation or maybe a custom installation not on C: drive? If prompted, be sure to send the error report to Lavasoft. I recall someone here did a custom installation, and Ad-Aware still installed things on the C: drive which was not intended by the user.[/quote]
I did a standard installation and there is no error report to send, just refuses to start. My computer has installed ad-aware to c:/program files - would appreciate any help please.

[quote name='visitor' post='124035' date='Dec 7 2010, 11:14 AM']I opened a bug thread to Lavasoft with a link to this thread - hopefully we'll hear something.[/quote]
Thanks, will keep checking in. Make sure you post the answer for us. Ta. Sue.

[quote name='sue hacking' post='123975' date='Dec 1 2010, 10:24 AM']Hi, I've tried all the fixes and I can't get adaware to work.
I used spybot and it fixed some problems mostly browser issues. I have a log file from hijackthis but I don't know how to use it. The PC seems to be running a bit slow but these probs could be due to the browser?
I get a little box on starting adaware with 'connection to service failed'.
Help.
Sue.[/quote]
REMOVE THE MCAFEE BLOATWARE AND YOUR SYSTEM WILL PICK UP SOME SPEED.
TEMPORARILLY UNINSTALL ADAWARE ALSO, THEN DOWNLOAD CCLEANER FROM DOWNLOAD.COM
NAVIGATE CCLEANER TO THE REGISTRY CLEANUP UTILITY AND SELECT ANALIZE AND WHEN COMPLETE SELECT CLEAN.
GO TO FOLDER OPTIONS AND SELECT SHOW HIDDEN FOLDERS.
GO TO C DRIVE SELECT USERS AND GO THRUOGH EACH USER ACCOUNT THOROUGHLY AND DELETE ANY MCAFEE FOLDERS AS WELL AS ANY OTHER PROGRAMS THAT WERE REMOVED BEFORE. THEN GO BACK TO C DRIVE SELECT PROGRAMS AND DELETE MCAFEE FOLDERS BE SURE TO CHECK THE COMMON FOLDER CONTENTS ALSO...RE RUN THE CCLEANER REGISTRY CLEANER THEN UNINSTALL CCLEANER...DOWNLOAD ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE THREE FREE VERSION FROM DOWNLOAD.COM..THEN NAVIGATE TO ITS REGISTRY CLEANER AND RUN IT...THEN RUN REGISTRY DEFRAGGER..AFTER THIS GO TO CONTROL PANEL AND SELECT THE BOTTOM SELECTION IN THE FANCY VEIW AND DEFRAG THE HARD DRIVE..REINSTALL ADAWARE YOU SHOULD BE FINE WRITE ALL THIS DOWN IN ADVANCE.
AS FAR AS HIJACK THIS IS CONCERNED DO NOT DELETE ANY ENTRYS ON THE LIST AT THIS TIME EXCEPT FOR REFERENCES TO MCAFEE UNCHECK ALL OTHER BOXES AND CLICK FIX.....MANY HIJACKTHIS ENTRIES ARE VALID AND SHOULD BE ADDED TO THE IGNORRED LIST BUT I CANT HELP YOU WITHOUT SEEING THE HIJACK THIS REPORT..YOUR RUNNING XP AND ARE PROBABLY BEHIND ON MAINTENANCE TASKS AS WELL SO THEY HAVE BEEN INCLUDED TO SPEED UP YOUR SYSTEM BE SURE THAT TEA TIMER IS TURNED OFF COMPLETELY IN SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY AS THIS CAN CAUSE CONFLICTS. BETTER TO REPLACE THAT PROGRAM WITH MALWAREBYTES ANTI MALWARE FREE VERSION ONLY FROM DOWNLOAD.COM AS WELL. A CORRUPT REGISTRY WITH INVALID ENTRIES CAN CAUSE MANY PROBLEMS WHICH IS WHY WE ARE CLEANING IT OUT. IF YOU ARE AN ADVANCED USER YOU COULD USE REGEDIT COMMAND ON THE RUN LINE TO FURTHER REMOVE EVEN MORE INVALID ENTRIES. IF YOU DONT KNOW HOW PLEASE DONT ATTEMPT IT.ALSO WHEN USING ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE FREE IT MAY TRY TO SELL YOU THE PAID VERSION.....DO NOT BUY IT ...IF YOU DO IT WILL DO AUTOMATIC MAINTENANCE AND CHANGE SYSTEM SETTINGS UNDESIRABLY AND THE PAID VERSIONS DEEP REGISTRY CLEANING OPTION CAN REMOVE MANY VALID ENTRIES.USE THE FREE VERSION ONLY Edited by twogunstommy

[attachment=8440:hijackthis.log][attachment=8440:hijackthis.log]Hi thank you very much for this help.
I haven't tried it yet - a note - I don't have the full mcaffee installed I don't think it's just a subsection, I'm on a laptop which is corporate owned and I do have admin priviledges i.e. I can install progs but I'm not sure I can remove the virus stuff. I think it updates itself, although when I looked on about, it said last virus definition was March 2010 - I haven't had it back to the tecchies in a couple years though. It is only running the web scan [on-access] I think, it's called Virus Scan Enterprise 7.1.0 by Network Associates and it says McAffee security at the left bottom corner.
I have switched teatimer off as you suggest.
Does this change anything? I will try to do the other stuff if you think it's still OK but then I won't have a virus checker... what do you think? I've attached logfile from hijack this if anyone interested.
Sue. Edited by sue hacking

If it's a work computer, I highly suggest you use your company's techies for anything - just in case you do damage and work data is at risk. Also, take member advice here with a grain of salt - e.g. twoguns has only been here a month and only 4 posts. There's a HijackThis forum (link in my signature) for suspected infections, and it's run by Volunteer Security Advisors who have been trained in malware removal.

Anyhow, twoguns somewhat hijacked this thread - the connection problem *might* be related to malware or other software, but it's a fairly common problem, so I think it's Ad-Aware not working right with your specific system configuration. Maybe the techies at work can figure it out? Also, just as a disclaimer, business systems are *supposed* to use a licensed version of Ad-Aware since free is for personal use only. Tough call in the gray area of mixed-use laptops . . . the benefit of paid Ad-Aware is Lavasoft Support via email and live chat.

[quote name='visitor' post='124108' date='Dec 11 2010, 12:05 PM']If it's a work computer, I highly suggest you use your company's techies for anything - just in case you do damage and work data is at risk. Also, take member advice here with a grain of salt - e.g. twoguns has only been here a month and only 4 posts. There's a HijackThis forum (link in my signature) for suspected infections, and it's run by Volunteer Security Advisors who have been trained in malware removal.

Anyhow, twoguns somewhat hijacked this thread - the connection problem *might* be related to malware or other software, but it's a fairly common problem, so I think it's Ad-Aware not working right with your specific system configuration. Maybe the techies at work can figure it out? Also, just as a disclaimer, business systems are *supposed* to use a licensed version of Ad-Aware since free is for personal use only. Tough call in the gray area of mixed-use laptops . . . the benefit of paid Ad-Aware is Lavasoft Support via email and live chat.[/quote]
Yes I would do (use the teccies) but I've run out of support for that project (I'm a researcher) and the thing being at home is mine really as I use it for my personal stuff. I kind of didn't really think it was a malware problem, it's probably interacting with McA and spybot. I'll see if anyone else has the same prob first.

[quote]Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)[/quote]
That makes your computer extremely vulnerable since it has not received any security updates from Microsoft since July. If you arrive at a hacked web page the computer can get infected directly. To receive security updates from Microsoft you have to install Service Pack 3. I cannot see an infection in the HijackThis log but it is few infections that are visible in an HijackThis log.

The current version of McAfee VirusScan Enterprise is 8.7 and when I try to understand [url="http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/support/customer_service/end_life.html"]McAfees web pages[/url] version 7 is no longer supported. Using an old version of an antivirus program means that the protection is rather bad, specially if you no longer receive daily updates of the virus database.