Sign in to follow this  
ragga

ad aware free 8.3.6 and AVG free 2011 10.0.1170

hi,
i am using AVG 2011 free, vers 10.0.1170 and downloaded a few days ago ad aware free 8.3.6. after installing ad aware i realized that it has now real time protection, which i switched off, as not to interfere with AVG, which cannot be switched off. i used to have ad aware for the first time in 2004, that time it was only a scanner without any real time protection.
so my question is: is it sufficiant to turn off the real time protection, or do i have to shut down ad aware completely? or even to deinstall it? can it be desinstalled completely? does it interfere with my free version of AVG in any way?
thank you for you help

Turn off Ad-Watch Live (real-time protection) and auto-updates. To be sure, check task manager to see if anything is running, e.g. AAWService or AAWTray.

Thanks for letting me know about AVG 2011 - I'm still using 8.5 which allows me to disable resident protection. Since it's supposed to end support in a week, I may switch to Avast. Edited by visitor

[quote name='ragga' post='123994' date='Dec 2 2010, 11:10 AM']hi,
i am using AVG 2011 free, vers 10.0.1170 and downloaded a few days ago ad aware free 8.3.6. after installing ad aware i realized that it has now real time protection, which i switched off, as not to interfere with AVG, which cannot be switched off. i used to have ad aware for the first time in 2004, that time it was only a scanner without any real time protection.
so my question is: is it sufficiant to turn off the real time protection, or do i have to shut down ad aware completely? or even to deinstall it? can it be desinstalled completely? does it interfere with my free version of AVG in any way?
thank you for you help[/quote]
ADAWARE FREE DOES NOT HAVE REAL TIME PROTECTION THE PAID VERSION ON SALE FOR NINE DOLLARS HAS REAL TIME PROTECTION AGAINST SPYWARE VIRUSES ROOTKITS..YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER PAYING NINE DOLLARSW FOR A YEARS COVERAGE AND GET RID OF AVG ALL TOGETHER WHICH DOES NOT CAPTURE VIRUSES IN THE WILD AND DEPENDS ON SIGNATURE UPDATES TO USE A MATCHING PROCESS...ADAWARE HAS A PROCESS WATCH AND MONITORS THE SYSTEM REGISTRY IN THE PAID VERSION AND YOU CAN ALSO LOCK THE HOSTS FILE. IF YOU DONT WANT ALL THAT YOU SHOULD DO SCANS REGULARLY WITH THE ESET NOD 32 FREE ONLINE SCANNER WHICH IS A PREMIUM ANTIVIRUS ONLY PRODUCT IF REAL TIME PROTECTION IS PURCHASED,HOWEVER THE FREE VERSION WILL REMOVE INFECTIONS NOT FOUND BY AVG AND YOU SHOULD ALSO GET THE FREE VERSION OF MALWAREBYTES ANTI MALWARE WHICH IS ALSO EXCELLENT AS A MALWARE NON VIRUS FINDER-REMOVER..

[quote name='twogunstommy' post='124030' date='Dec 7 2010, 12:35 AM']ADAWARE FREE DOES NOT HAVE REAL TIME PROTECTION[/quote]
The free version does have real-time processes protection. Paid versions add registry protection, IP blocking, and files protection.