Sign in to follow this  
raincity

Do not disturb mode is disturbing

I'm a previous user of Ad Aware who has just installed Ad Aware Pro. It seems to work fine except for one thing: It pops up a window to tell me that updates haven't been completed because I'm in Do Not Disturb mode. I don't understand the purpose of suppressing an update so the user is not bothered and then popping up a window to tell me that Ad Aware hasn't bothered me.

Is there a way to disable this annoying interruption?

Your topic title, LOL :)
Well, it does seem lame doesn't it? But it seems they're accomplishing 2 things and the update notification slips through the crack between the 2. Update is suppressed to save system resources, while notifications are suppressed while running full-screen applications. So, I don't think it's a concrete "do not disturb" i.e. if you're not running a full-screen app, you'll get the update notification.

You might try going to Ad-Watch settings and checking "do not notify me" but I don't think it will work - the product manual says "An Ad-Aware notification window (Events During Do Not Disturb Mode) will appear if events are
detected while in Do Not Disturb Mode." So I think it's more about stopping resource-heavy activity, yet still inform you of what's happening with a low-resource popup notification.

Hi

Visitor is correct. One could add that beside waiting with resource heavy activity such as scans and updates it also suppresses any tray messages that would 'disturb' (stop) applications from running in full screen mode.
Example: If a message is displayed while watching a movie with VLC in full screen, it would interrupt the full screen mode, display the tray message and the VLC movie would continue running in the regular VLC window. A user would have to manually activate the full screen mode for the VLC player again.
Disturbing huh?

But I agree, that the messaging 'after' going out of Full screen mode might be confusing and 'disturbing'. Maybe we should just give a notification without making a point of it.
I will feedback to dev team.

Thanks.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not watching videos and these messages pop up over my active application, even if it is running full screen. My work requires intense focus and these do break my concentration. A break in concentration can result in an expensive mistake for me.

I would like to see to be a way to suppress all messages during certain hours. Another option would be to allow users to schedule updates. That way these update messages would not be generated at all except at during periods when the user chooses to allow them.

This has become increasingly annoying. Once I start getting "We haven't disturbed you" messages they keep happening until I go and update the program. I'm probably not unique among your users as not wanting to be forced to perform non-critical updates during my production time.

I'm removing AdAware from my computer until this is resolved.

[quote name='LS Digger Barnes' post='124663' date='Jan 7 2011, 04:40 AM']Hi

Visitor is correct. One could add that beside waiting with resource heavy activity such as scans and updates it also suppresses any tray messages that would 'disturb' (stop) applications from running in full screen mode.
Example: If a message is displayed while watching a movie with VLC in full screen, it would interrupt the full screen mode, display the tray message and the VLC movie would continue running in the regular VLC window. A user would have to manually activate the full screen mode for the VLC player again.
Disturbing huh?

But I agree, that the messaging 'after' going out of Full screen mode might be confusing and 'disturbing'. Maybe we should just give a notification without making a point of it.
I will feedback to dev team.

Thanks.[/quote]

Hello LS Digger Barnes,

Just purchased Ad-Aware Pro and am very annoyed that this latest edition (9.05) continually insist that I be notified with Update notices, yet "Do Not Disturb" mode is enabled. Is there any status on your feedback to the dev team?

Thank you.
Greg O'Neil

Hi gpsfreak,

Since you have bought the product you can use the Lavasoft support instead of this forum with volunteers. See this post by LS Digger Barnes for links:
[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=30887&view=findpost&p=125583"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...st&p=125583[/url]

But I guess that function changes are only done when the first or second digit is changed, and that the third is only used for bug fixes.