Sign in to follow this  
ozy

Anti-Virus Engine

I've used Ad-Aware for years and am very thankful for the free edition...I do have a problem keeping the Anti-Virus Engine 'Turned Off' in 'Detection Layers' Section...I turn it off (un-check) & OK out. It stays off for some time but rechecks itself the same day. I realize that the Anti-Virus is a good thing but I personally would not want this turned on!

Is there a way to keep it turned off...It is somewhat of an inconvenience to keep going into the detection Layers section & turning it off constantly.

Again I thank you for my Ad-Aware app. and hope there is an answer to this problem..

Al ~

This problem has existed since version 8.3, but no widespread reports to Lavasoft, so I'm not sure they've looked into it. Nonetheless, I updated the topic that it's still happening in version 9.0.

If you have another app with real-time protection for running processes, you might try turning off that Ad-Watch module as well (in the same settings screen). That's the only resident protection offered by the free version, so the only module that would use the anti-virus engine.

Thanks Visitor for your reply...

Turning off that Ad-Watch module doesn't solve the problem of 'Not' being able to turn off the anti-virus engine permanently....

I guess the only solution is to uninstall Ad-Aware & find a replacement....

Thank you !

Hi all,

Thank you; we have added the bug to our issue tracking system.

We’re aware that many people want to use Ad-Aware as an anti-spyware tool only, and we are reviewing the way the AV engine is integrated into Ad-Aware to better facilitate this.

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Labs