Sign in to follow this  
tonylukac

Ad-Aware Keeps Shutting Down

On various computers with various oses (XP, Vista) Ad-Aware keeps shutting down unexpectedly. I have processes protection turned off due to slowness. Sometimes, as many as 3 dumps are generated by Ad-Aware. It usually happens after the first boot in a given day and doesn't happen if you try Ad-Aware after rebooting on the same day. Is this a problem with .net or Ad-Aware? :)

[quote name='tonylukac' post='125407' date='Mar 8 2011, 06:49 AM']On various computers with various oses (XP, Vista) Ad-Aware keeps shutting down unexpectedly. I have processes protection turned off due to slowness. Sometimes, as many as 3 dumps are generated by Ad-Aware. It usually happens after the first boot in a given day and doesn't happen if you try Ad-Aware after rebooting on the same day. Is this a problem with .net or Ad-Aware? :mellow:[/quote]

I also have the same problem, running Xp and only on startup of computer, Ad-aware free 9.0.2. Sure would like to know what is causing it. Have reinstalled but did not help. Anybody out there that can give a solution?

Hi

We need to gather more information about this to be able to create a fix.
We would appreciate if you would contribute by sending us a crash dump.
Since the crash dump file is quite large we need you to upload it to our ftp server.

1) When the crash happens, DO NOT click OK or cancel.
2) Browse to the following folder:
XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Crashdumps\"
Vista and 7 "C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Crashdumps\"
3) Copy any files located in the folder
4) Upload the files to our FTP server.

FTP

Host: apep.lavasoft.com
Username: support
Password: ******* (PM Me for password)

The first thing you need to do is download a piece of FTP software. I usually use Filezilla, it's free and works well.
1) Download and install that. Then open the program.
2) Along the top there is a spot to enter the information listed above.
3) Then click "Quick connect" or "Connect". There will be a login procedure, and then you will see a directory on the right hand side.Your files and folder will be shown to the left.
4) Simply drag and drop the file in there and it will upload, once the progress bar has finished you can close the program.

Then simply write us that you have uploaded it, and we will go get it.

Thank you very much.

Will get to this pronto. There seem to be 2 types of scenerios. One where it simply times out due to computer slowness where you get one dump, and the second where you get 3 abend screens. I really like Ad-Aware and hope to make it better. Like I said, the shutdown is particularly frequent on a slower computer.

Uploaded another dump today. This one had 2 abends on the screen at the time (I've seen 3), but only 1 dump was in the crashdumps folder. Good luck.

Uploaded a nice one today; the crash of the adaware service. This results in up to 4 error windows. This happened on windows xp. I believe it was launched from the quick launch.

Hello everyone

I have your crash dumps, and we will look in to this... I will let you all know when I have any info.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='125686' date='Mar 25 2011, 09:31 AM']Hello everyone

I have your crash dumps, and we will look in to this... I will let you all know when I have any info.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft[/quote]

Has there been any resolution on this? I'm having the same problem.

[quote name='tonylukac' post='125924' date='Apr 5 2011, 01:27 PM']No resolution yet. Maybe in the next version, if not sooner.[/quote]

Hi Tony

I am hoping we can release a fix for this, this week... I am currently testing it.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft

I've been testing the new updates and have some bad news. For one, when the adaware.exe module gets updated, the main scanning dialog simply disappears when scanning, usually at the beginning. Upon restarting, AdAware runs and scans properly. A more serious problem is in the dump I have and have tried to upload. You've disabled the ftp upload password so I can't upload it. This computer has some sort of malware on it. The first time in a day of invoking adaware on this computer, 2 uac prompts occur in a row to start the adaware service. This is vista and I have process protection disabled. The main scanning screen never appears. Adaware just shows the splash screen for about an hour and then terminates with a dump. When you restart it, it then works. I could probably use task manager to terminate adaware.exe and then I wouldn't have to wait an hour. Please reenable the ftp upload account so I could send you the 200M dump. Good luck.

Hello everyone

My IT guys pointed out it was poor practice to post the password for this FTP publicly... oops...

Please PM me if you need it to upload a dump.

Got your password, thank you. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that with the new version of AdAware on the malware infested vista computer, AdAware doesn't terminate any longer. The bad news is that on another computer, an old 1Ghz XP machine, AdAware still terminates with 4 dumps. It took about an hour to collect the data, more than 500M of it, and almost 5 hours to upload it on my 700k/300k dsl connection. Also, Filezilla would give some kind of message after uploading that the file already exists, and upon replying ok it would upload the file again. There is a new version of Filezilla that I might try, but I simply clicked cancel and all 4 dumps are on the server. Lots of luck and I hope you use the data. AdAware was one of the first spyware scanners that I began to use and I would like to see it continue to work.

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='125929' date='Apr 5 2011, 02:30 PM']Hi Tony

I am hoping we can release a fix for this, this week... I am currently testing it.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft[/quote]

Any news on this, Jeff? Mine continues to shut down. Not sure if it's same issue as OP, but something's wrong.

Same problem here.
Xp SP2, updated.
Plus: On logon my PC seems to freeze-up or is so slow to login that I just reset and retry.
Doesnt do it with version 8.3.6
I simply uninstalled v9 and im running 8.3.6 without any AdAware shutdowns or logon freezes. Edited by echo_qc

[quote name='echo_qc' post='126301' date='Apr 23 2011, 07:15 PM']I simply uninstalled v9 and im running 8.3.6 without any AdAware shutdowns or logon freezes.[/quote]

That's an interesting idea. At least it may narrow down my issue. I'll have to try to figure out how to roll back to an earlier version.

Merci bien! Edited by RommelDAK

I am running Vista 64 bit and I am having the same issues... Laptop has been running really rough for the last couple months, I suspect malware although scans show nothing..
I have emailed Lavasoft support X 2 and no replies... Today I started using my laptop (runs through the night) and found 7 popups stating that AA had shut down unexpectedly... I attached the crash-dump file to my last email..

I sure hope they figure this one out, never had problems like this before with AA, and have been a paid user for nearly a decade.
I need to be able to trust this program, as I do all of my business from this laptop and do NOT want an insecure system..

Help Lavasoft!

[quote name='echo_qc' post='126301' date='Apr 23 2011, 08:15 PM']Xp SP2, updated.[/quote]
Hi echo_qc,

Note that Microsoft stopped supporting XP SP2 last summer, meaning that Windows Update no longer delivers any fixes for discovered security vulnerabilities in XP. It is very easy for a hacked or malicious web site to infect a computer with known vulnerabilities.
[url="http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31"]http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31[/url]

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='125561' date='Mar 16 2011, 09:14 AM']Hi

We need to gather more information about this to be able to create a fix.
We would appreciate if you would contribute by sending us a crash dump.
Since the crash dump file is quite large we need you to upload it to our ftp server.

1) When the crash happens, DO NOT click OK or cancel.
2) Browse to the following folder:
XP: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Crashdumps\"
Vista and 7 "C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Crashdumps\"
3) Copy any files located in the folder
4) Upload the files to our FTP server.

FTP

Host: apep.lavasoft.com
Username: support
Password: ******* (PM Me for password)

The first thing you need to do is download a piece of FTP software. I usually use Filezilla, it's free and works well.
1) Download and install that. Then open the program.
2) Along the top there is a spot to enter the information listed above.
3) Then click "Quick connect" or "Connect". There will be a login procedure, and then you will see a directory on the right hand side.Your files and folder will be shown to the left.
4) Simply drag and drop the file in there and it will upload, once the progress bar has finished you can close the program.

Then simply write us that you have uploaded it, and we will go get it.

Thank you very much.[/quote]

I'm running Ad-Aware on my Win7 Pro x64 laptop and had no problems until days ago. Now I receive frequent popups stating that AA had shut down unexpectedly, an error report generated upon which I click OK for it to be sent to Lavasoft.

Help, where do I go from here? Any ideas what is causing this? Edited by BoomerFT

[quote name='CeciliaB' post='126305' date='Apr 23 2011, 04:18 PM']Hi echo_qc,

Note that Microsoft stopped supporting XP SP2 last summer, meaning that Windows Update no longer delivers any fixes for discovered security vulnerabilities in XP. It is very easy for a hacked or malicious web site to infect a computer with known vulnerabilities.
[url="http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31"]http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31[/url][/quote]

You're absolutely right, I do have SP3, wrote SP2 like a reflex, had been running SP2 for so long. My bad.

[quote name='echo_qc' post='126310' date='Apr 24 2011, 08:28 AM']You're absolutely right, I do have SP3, wrote SP2 like a reflex, had been running SP2 for so long. My bad.[/quote]
Glad to here that you have SP3 :)