Sign in to follow this  
yowanvista

Some Annoyances in Ad aware Pro

Since I installed the Pro version 9.0.2(got it from the Official Cnet Giveaway), I noticed some strange issues with it

1. Ad aware will not automatically start when PC is started, the 3 processes are launched but the icon does not appear in the notification area. The only fix was to kill the processes and restart the Ad Aware service.
I confirmed it on 2 PCs both running Win7 x64

2. When I switch from an Admin to standard account(Log Off) and when I come back the Admin account the Ad Aware icon disappears and I have to do the same steps mentioned above

3. How can I disable that Splash screen at startup?

4. A noticeable lag is seen(boot time is increased), this did not happen with MSE

I tried to re-download the setup files and installing it by using Revo but issue is still there

So is there any fix for that, I know that is it a user to user forum and the Ad Aware staff rarely investigate these type of rare issues but should I contact them using the customer support?

Yes, you should contact support. Your issues and questions are definitely something for support.

Regarding item 4 it is possible that this is because a scan is done when the computer starts and that MSE was not doing that. Many antivirus programs scan the computer early during startup since most malicious programs are not running at that time and then it is easier to remove them.

[quote name='yowan' post='125411' date='Mar 8 2011, 07:10 PM']Since I installed the Pro version 9.0.2(got it from the Official Cnet Giveaway), I noticed some strange issues with it

1. Ad aware will not automatically start when PC is started, the 3 processes are launched but the icon does not appear in the notification area. The only fix was to kill the processes and restart the Ad Aware service.
I confirmed it on 2 PCs both running Win7 x64

2. When I switch from an Admin to standard account(Log Off) and when I come back the Admin account the Ad Aware icon disappears and I have to do the same steps mentioned above

3. How can I disable that Splash screen at startup?

4. A noticeable lag is seen(boot time is increased), this did not happen with MSE

I tried to re-download the setup files and installing it by using Revo but issue is still there

So is there any fix for that, I know that is it a user to user forum and the Ad Aware staff rarely investigate these type of rare issues but should I contact them using the customer support?[/quote]

Hi Yowan,

Thanks for your feedback. Could you help me to get more information for the first issue?

1. Is Ad-Watch turned on before reboot? (If the ad-aware icon is red in your tray area, that means it is on).
2. Did you install Ad-Aware with the account that has the problem or in another account?

About the second issues. We will try to reproduce it on our testing machine and get back to you soon.

To the third question, sorry you cannot disable the splash screen.

For the last question. Do you mean the time during the windows splash screen? Or after you log into the system? Sometimes it could be slower, because ad-aware tries to scan the all the current process during startup. Also it can happen when there are other security products with real-time protection on.

Please feel free to let me know if you need further information:)

Regards,
Zhe

[quote name='CeciliaB' post='125414' date='Mar 8 2011, 07:42 PM']Yes, you should contact support. Your issues and questions are definitely something for support.

Regarding item 4 it is possible that this is because a scan is done when the computer starts and that MSE was not doing that. Many antivirus programs scan the computer early during startup since most malicious programs are not running at that time and then it is easier to remove them.[/quote]

Thanks for your help, CeciliaB!

[quote name='LS linuxcity' post='125431' date='Mar 9 2011, 04:43 PM']Hi Yowan,

Thanks for your feedback. Could you help me to get more information for the first issue?

1. Is Ad-Watch turned on before reboot? (If the ad-aware icon is red in your tray area, that means it is on).
2. Did you install Ad-Aware with the account that has the problem or in another account?

About the second issues. We will try to reproduce it on our testing machine and get back to you soon.

To the third question, sorry you cannot disable the splash screen.

For the last question. Do you mean the time during the windows splash screen? Or after you log into the system? Sometimes it could be slower, because ad-aware tries to scan the all the current process during startup. Also it can happen when there are other security products with real-time protection on.

Please feel free to let me know if you need further information:)

Regards,
Zhe[/quote]

1. Yes the Ad-Watch is turned on, but only the Ad Aware admin process(
Ad-awareadmin.exe) is seen when I reboot the computer, However AAWtray and AAWservice do not start

None of Ad-Aware services are disabled in msconfig or services.msc. The GUI service does not start start unless I manually kill the processes and re-launch the Ad aware service

2. The issue is unrelated to user accounts, I installed Ad Aware from the only Admin account on the PC, same problem occurs in the second machine but there is only one admin user

3. Yes when I log into the system, its more slower

My PC is clean with no malware and the only other security software is MBAM(on demand only)

I am still waiting a reply from customer support Edited by yowan