Sign in to follow this  
whistlebird

Files Protection Module in AApro 9.0 Slows my PC in XP

I recently purchased AApro 9.02 because of reviews.

I run Widows XP SP3 with 2GB of Ram. Since installation, uninstallation, and reinstallation, the results are always the same.

When the Files Protection module is activated, opening a file or executing a program is slowed significantly, sometimes to the extent that a program will hang my PC.

I have no other security program running.

When I turned off this module, the PC runs smoothly.

Is this typical of this program? If the module is deactivated, protection will be reduced?

Anyone else notice this? Edited by searchlight4759

Hi,

Bought PRO last december, but since the last update it's indeed slowing down my pc, when using the file scanner.

For support:

Running:
Windows XP SP3 ( Dutch )
1GB RAM
371MB Free Physical Memory
About 60GB Free DiskSpace

I noticed that the Ad Aware service is 105MB in memory, a bit to much if you ask me.

Processes:

AAWService.exe run by : SYSTEM, Memory : 105.492KB
AAWTray.exe run by : Myusername, Memory : 21.172KB
Ad-Aware.exe run by : Myusername, Memory : 29.112KB

Of course I have no idea if this memory is indeed in use or partly shared.

But I bought this scanner, because I liked the performance, these days....its toooo slow.

Regards,

Paul

[quote name='Paul Zwagerman' post='125538' date='Mar 15 2011, 10:51 AM']Hi,

Bought PRO last december, but since the last update it's indeed slowing down my pc, when using the file scanner.

For support:

Running:
Windows XP SP3 ( Dutch )
1GB RAM
371MB Free Physical Memory
About 60GB Free DiskSpace

I noticed that the Ad Aware service is 105MB in memory, a bit to much if you ask me.

Processes:

AAWService.exe run by : SYSTEM, Memory : 105.492KB
AAWTray.exe run by : Myusername, Memory : 21.172KB
Ad-Aware.exe run by : Myusername, Memory : 29.112KB

Of course I have no idea if this memory is indeed in use or partly shared.

But I bought this scanner, because I liked the performance, these days....its toooo slow.

Regards,

Paul[/quote]

Please get this fixed!
  • Like 1

Hi,

Since you have bought the product you can use the Lavasoft support [url="http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/"]http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/[/url] instead of this forum with volunteers.

I hope that you are not using Ad-Aware together with another antivirus program.

[quote name='CeciliaB' post='125542' date='Mar 15 2011, 01:53 PM']Hi,

Since you have bought the product you can use the Lavasoft support [url="http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/"]http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/[/url] instead of this forum with volunteers.

I hope that you are not using Ad-Aware together with another antivirus program.[/quote]

Hi Cecilia,

Thanks for your help, I've a send a support request.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Paul

I wish you the same. :)

I hope that the answer will arrive soon.

Regards,
Cecilia

Please note: The below comments only applies to Ad-Aware Pro users, since the feauture discussed is not included in Ad-Aware Free.

The File protection module in Ad-Watch Live! may be involved in conflicts with other software. The symptoms maybe slowdown of the system or software/system crashes. In severe cases the conflict can cause the system to slow down so mch that it is practically inoperable.

The reason for the conflict is that the Files Ptotection is an on-access file scanner. Simply put the module scans a file in the system each time the file has been accessed by another process. If the file contains malicious code it is blocked from being accessed and removed/quarantined.

Since most other Anti-Virus programs also include similar on-access scanning technology, there is a high risk of conflict. If a file is read by a process it will be scanned by Ad-Watch, which in turn will trigger a 3rd part AV scanner to scan the file, which again triggers Ad-Watch and so on, and so on...

There is also other software that includes heavy file-accessing functionality that may trigger the Files protection module, for example automatic backup software. So if you are running software which is file access heavy you will see performance issues with Ad-Watch Files.

Low-spec systems may also have problems during Windows startup since a lot of applications and services are started and require constant file access during the startup phase. This could get significantly slower if Ad-Watch Files is enabled.

All that said, normal systems that does not run multiple AntiVirus programs should not have any issues, possibly a slightly slower startup. But that is the price you pay for the increased protection.

If you decide to disable Ad-Watch Files you will still be adequately protected if you have enabled your other Ad-Watch protection modules, most importantly Ad-Watch Live! Process protection. This is the most important layer of defense included in the real-time protection of Ad-Aware and is also the module included in Ad-Aware Free.

[u]These are general instructions if you would run multiple AntiVirus programs on your system:[/u]

[indent][i]Please note: Ad-Aware is an Internet Security application that provides full Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware and Anti-Malware realtime protection.
If you use more than one real-time anti-virus or anti-spyware scanner at the same time, your computer may experience decreased performance, become unstable, or restart unexpectedly. [/i]

We recommend following these instructions to resolve conflicts:[list=1]
[*]If you have any other AV programs installed you should temporarily disable or uninstall other security-related programs before (re)installing Ad-Aware. Download here: [url="http://installer.lavasoft.com/adaware/"]http://installer.lavasoft.com/adaware/[/url]
[*]After installation, you need to make sure that the "Files protection" module in Ad-Aware settings->Ad-Watch Live is disabled, if you want to run Ad-Aware side by side with another AV product.
[*]Further, you should configure your 3rd party AV products so they do NOT have any self protection modules enabled, before re initiating the 3rd party AV protection.
[/list]If you still have problems you may not have successfully disabled the 3rd party AV. It is very common that processes and protection features that are deemed essential are still active despite turning it off.

That being the case, you need to terminate the processes completely. Please contact the Tech Support at the company that makes the 3rd party product for help on shutting down the protection completely.[/indent]
  • Like 1