Sign in to follow this  
Michael_Diamond

Ad-Aware won't update.

Many have update issues at the moment, as seen here in the forum, and Lavasoft is trying to solve the problem. They did find and corrected one error, as reported by LS Jeffery, but there seems to be more.

Did you try to download the zip file several times?

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='125832' date='Apr 1 2011, 04:37 PM']Hello everyone

The issue with updating Ad-Aware Total Security should now be resolved.
There was a small network issue on our servers which is now resolved.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft[/quote]

I am still having problems downloading through the update button on Ad Aware, so this issue has not been resolved as yet. I have the latest version and had the latest updated version even before this started to happen 4 days ago. I have also even uninstalled it and rebooted and re-installed thinking it was somehow my problem, but now I know it isnt. When I attempt to download the latest updates it either doesnt download them at all and sits there on the gettng reday to download them screen doing nothing, or, it eventaully does it after a period of about 20 minutes if I just let it sit there waiting. But some times it has failed to even do that and I have had to give up. This does not bode well for me upgrading to the paid version of AdAware if the updates are in some way unreliable or simply not working properly.
One minute it was working the next not, so when can we expect this issue to be resolved?

Hello everyone

I see a lot of people are still having issues... Is the issue with Ad-Aware Internet Security or Ad-Aware Total Security?

If the issue was with Total Security it should now be resolved.

If the issues is with Internet Security, please provide me the version number you are using and I will look in to it further. You can see the version number is available by opening the about window.

For those reporting long wait times at the beginning of the update, we are aware of this, it is caused by needing to check what files are on your system in order to perform the update properly. We are working on an optimization for this, which should be released fairly soon. I will post in this thread when that has been done.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft

Hi Jeff,

At least a couple of the members in this thread state that they are using the latest free version of Ad-Aware.

I have Trouble with updating since a few days too. Before I used the Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition and haven´t any Probs.
Now I deinstalled, cleaned the registry, installed Version 9.0.2. and this 3 times but I can´t update to the newest Def.
I done all things how was written at Blogpage you can see below.
My System is Win XP SP3, all things actually at system.

[quote]Support blog
Update error - Connection failed, check your settings?
by Jona on March 28th, 2011.

We are currently having some problems with the updates for an older version of Ad-Aware.

If you cannot update and are using Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition you should uninstall, download the latest version (9.0.2 or later) and reinstall Ad-Aware.

You can un-install the program, by going to:
Start -> Programs -> Lavasoft -> Ad-Aware -> and click on Uninstall Ad-Aware

Reboot your computer.

Then download the software again, re-install it, and register it again.

You can download Ad-Aware from here.

We apologize for the inconvenience.[/quote]

Also it isn´t possible to update the Def file manually. I have tested it a lot of times and now I´m absolutly ;)

I will hope there is rapidly help

thx

I got this information from Lavasoft:

The problem has escalated lately due to the fact that the amount of new definitions has increased faster than before. The downloaded file containing information of the latest versions of all files has grown rapidly resulting both in that it takes longer time to download it and that the computer has to work more to compare the content of the file with the content in the computer. The download time and comparison time depends on internet speed and computer performance, but as has been reported in this thread it can be half an hour.

Lavasoft has now rewritten this part of Ad-Aware and will perform very thorough tests of the new functions. The date of release depends on the results of these tests and is difficult to predict but if no serious problems arise it might be possible to start use the new functions on Monday 11th.

i remember 8 was smaller pulse updates
like norton
trying to download 40 updates is ridiculous

it be easier as smaller pulses

I am using Ad-Aware Pro Internet Security version 9.0.2.

I do not buy the logic that it takes a long time to verify what is on our system as prior to a couple weeks ago, updates normally took under 2-3 minutes TOTAL. I just tried to run an update at 6:07 CDT and cancelled it at 6:18 or so with no updates or anything. It just sits there.

A new post by Lavasoft: [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=30996&view=findpost&p=125930"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...st&p=125930[/url]

Hello everyone

I am very happy to report that the issue of slow updates should now be resolved. We really appreciate you patients on this matter.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft

Do we need to do something special to start using the new implementation? Specially the persons having problem with updating.

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='125944' date='Apr 6 2011, 09:16 AM']Hello Cecilia

This was a server side implementation, so nothing special should be required, just perform an update.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft[/quote]

Well Jeff.
I have hung in with Lavasoft for around eight years or so may be more,I have paid good money up until now for the privilege to use this software,all I have experienced in these years has been let down after let down,and support is not that much to be desired,lets give a few hints like the take over of AdAware which we all know about,as well as some of the program codes being implemented incorrectly,even the old problems of server malfunctions,then all the version troubles 8.02 and so on and now the latest server scenario,so whats on the list for us poor end users another bashing,I think that this company should honor a gift for paid registered members like two or three months extended license,they've taken a few million dollars in the last eighteen months or so from there customers,I can honestly say that if there is more of this with Lavasoft I will look else where for comfortable life with out AdAware,though I do not expect you will suffer from my absence thanking you. :(

PS.Looks like the problem is solved for the time being ! ! :(

[quote name='Cheesedoff' post='125961' date='Apr 8 2011, 01:55 AM']Well Jeff.
I have hung in with Lavasoft for around eight years or so may be more,I have paid good money up until now for the privilege to use this software,all I have experienced in these years has been let down after let down,and support is not that much to be desired,lets give a few hints like the take over of AdAware which we all know about,as well as some of the program codes being implemented incorrectly,even the old problems of server malfunctions,then all the version troubles 8.02 and so on and now the latest server scenario,so whats on the list for us poor end users another bashing,I think that this company should honor a gift for paid registered members like two or three months extended license,they've taken a few million dollars in the last eighteen months or so from there customers,I can honestly say that if there is more of this with Lavasoft I will look else where for comfortable life with out AdAware,though I do not expect you will suffer from my absence thanking you. :(

PS.Looks like the problem is solved for the time being ! ! :([/quote]

Hi

If you have a valid license and requires help with the product, questions about your license or have any other request, please contact the Lavasoft Support team.
They will be happy to help you out.

Login to the support center and contact support from this link:
[url="http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/contact_support"]http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support...contact_support[/url]

If you have forgotten your password use the password reminder:
[url="http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/password"]http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support...center/password[/url]

[quote name='LS Digger Barnes' post='125964' date='Apr 8 2011, 09:03 AM']Hi

If you have a valid license and requires help with the product, questions about your license or have any other request, please contact the Lavasoft Support team.
They will be happy to help you out.

Login to the support center and contact support from this link:
[url="http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/contact_support"]http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support...contact_support[/url]

If you have forgotten your password use the password reminder:
[url="http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/supportcenter/password"]http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support...center/password[/url][/quote]

Thanks for your offer,
If you did read all my comment that stated >
The program code malfunctions the server problems and so on then why should one rely
on support when these are manual problems or hardware related to bad code practices
by the company or code programmers,or failure of old server hardware that
should be replaced by Lavasoft.
The support side of Lavasoft is fair which I have only used once relating to my
license,so I can not see what benefit would come of it wingeing to support
about other staff problems or old hardware failures that the company lets happen
or wont fix. :(
I will not make any further comment,as time is of the eccence,I have three PCs
lined up on my bench for repair and one laptop,I always replace old for new
works all the time.. :(

[quote name='cootmaster' post='125889' date='Apr 4 2011, 10:16 AM']i remember 8 was smaller pulse updates
like norton
trying to download 40 updates is ridiculous

it be easier as smaller pulses[/quote]

Huh. 40? I wish. Try 922 updates! Yes, foks, you read that right: 922. I just put a laptop back into production that had been down for two months because it needed a new (backordered) motherboard. We have a fast broadband connection, so downloading them wasn't a problem, but it took nearly three hours to install them all.

Not good.

GaryK

ya i used update laptop mon wed fri so was 20-40
my parents computer was NEVER run so i might just pull it out

i pulled it off laptop
runs load fast now

Trying to update the Ad-Aware Free Internet Security 9.0.2 I just downloaded, and the message everyone else I got is still happening.

"The Update Manager cannot connect to the server. Please check your network and firewall settings, to make sure Ad-AwareAdmin.exe has access to the Internet."

It is allowed through the firewall. I'm about to just uninstall and go back to AVG or something else, as there ARE other free products that do the same thing as Ad-Aware. I had heard good things about it but apparently the people who did the testing didn't bother trying to update. A anti-virus/spyware/malware program can be the best in the world, but if they are crap at updating as Ad-aware always has been then the program itself may as well be crap.

[quote name='Brian Z' post='126021' date='Apr 11 2011, 05:43 PM']Trying to update the Ad-Aware Free Internet Security 9.0.2 I just downloaded, and the message everyone else I got is still happening.

"The Update Manager cannot connect to the server. Please check your network and firewall settings, to make sure Ad-AwareAdmin.exe has access to the Internet."

It is allowed through the firewall. I'm about to just uninstall and go back to AVG or something else, as there ARE other free products that do the same thing as Ad-Aware. I had heard good things about it but apparently the people who did the testing didn't bother trying to update. A anti-virus/spyware/malware program can be the best in the world, but if they are crap at updating as Ad-aware always has been then the program itself may as well be crap.[/quote]
same issues

[quote name='Brian Z' post='126021' date='Apr 11 2011, 06:43 PM']Trying to update the Ad-Aware Free Internet Security 9.0.2 I just downloaded, and the message everyone else I got is still happening.

It is allowed through the firewall. I'm about to just uninstall and go back to AVG or something else, as there ARE other free products that do the same thing as Ad-Aware. I had heard good things about it but apparently the people who did the testing didn't bother trying to update. A anti-virus/spyware/malware program can be the best in the world, but if they are crap at updating as Ad-aware always has been then the program itself may as well be crap.[/quote]

[quote name='Mastiff' post='126024' date='Apr 11 2011, 08:25 PM']same issues[/quote]

Hi Brian Z and Mastiff,

Since several persons have reported update issues almost at the same time there might be a problem with the server. If not already fixed I hope it will be soon.

[quote name='cootmaster' post='126025' date='Apr 11 2011, 08:27 PM']anyone try alternatives? -like malwarebites or something better[/quote]
I guess you mean Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which does not contain an antivirus program and does not offer real-time protection in the free version as Ad-Aware does. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware sometimes has update problems, too.

well i have norton on here and ms on laptop
w adaware off both id like put SOMETHING on if i cant put adaware on