Sign in to follow this  
rahrahmah

False Positives? Years old legit files I have used

So my computer has been glitchy and strange lately, I definitely have reason to believe there is SOMETHING wrong with it. I ran a full scan just a few hours ago, and two critical objects were detected: an mp3 I have had so long that I actually transferred it from an older computer, and the uninstall file from one of my Sims 2 expansion packs. I kind of have a feeling neither of these were the critical and dangerous trojans Ad-Aware claimed them to be. I've also run multiple scans previous to this one and these files were not detected then.

I'm not entirely sure how to attach a log file, because there is no "logs" folder in my Ad-Aware folder as described, however, I opted to save a .txt file after this scan because the results were so ridiculous, and I have attached that. If that's not good enough, please let me know, and give me instructions on where a log would be since I have no logs folder. I also do not have a "Quarantine" folder, though the scan claims the files were quarantined. I really don't know what's going on, there. I do know the files were removed to somewhere, since that song has vanished.

I'm not entirely sure how trojans work. Are they new files that take up residence, or can they somehow change a file that has been on your computer for ages and turn it into something malicious without changing the name or filepath? Because if the latter is NOT how they work these were both definitely false positives, and no logs are needed.

Hi rahrahmah,

Sory to hear you're having problems -lets see if we can help. First, can I ask you to confirm that you read the guide for posting false positives here: [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=18033"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=18033[/url]

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Labs

Number one, yes I have. Number two, can I ask you to confirm that you read my post, in which the context clearly shows that I did read that, as I explained why I didn't post a log or the damaged files because there is no "log" folder or "quarantine" folder AS DESCRIBED IN THAT POST. I'm pretty sure the text file I opted to save is a log file, anyway. Number three, why are you asking me to do this, since you haven't asked anyone else to do so, instead of simply addressing the problems I described?

[quote name='rahrahmah' post='125622' date='Mar 21 2011, 03:39 PM']I'm not entirely sure how trojans work. Are they new files that take up residence, or can they somehow change a file that has been on your computer for ages and turn it into something malicious without changing the name or filepath? Because if the latter is NOT how they work these were both definitely false positives, and no logs are needed.[/quote]
The word 'trojan' only refers to how the malware is spread, together with something that you want to install, as a trojan horse. When the malicious files are in the computer they can do a lot of different things and some trojans changes normal Windows files. It is seldom that MP3 files or an uninstall file for another program is changed.

[quote name='CeciliaB' post='125653' date='Mar 23 2011, 04:30 PM']The word 'trojan' only refers to how the malware is spread, together with something that you want to install, as a trojan horse. When the malicious files are in the computer they can do a lot of different things and some trojans changes normal Windows files. It is seldom that MP3 files or an uninstall file for another program is changed.[/quote]

Thank you! These were almost definitely false positives, then. Now to just get them back.

Which Windows do you have?

XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs\
Vista and 7 - C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs\

Is it only the Logs folder you cannot find or is the problem that you cannot find "Application Data" or "ProgramData"?

I don't know if this description is still valid since it is written for an earlier version of Ad-Aware, but maybe:
[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=26395"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=26395[/url]

Sign in to follow this