Sign in to follow this  
voltron

Ad-Aware 9.x & Lingering Issues

Recently, I rebuilt a Windows XP Professional system and had planned on installing Ad-Aware 8.x (Anniversary Edition), as this has been the build I have stuck with, until the newer releases got "fleshed out." I have read good reviews of Ad-Aware 9.x; but, of course, there have been issues with updating, both with versions 8.x and 9.x. It appears the updating issues have been resolved; however, I am curious to know if there are any other lingering issues with Ad-Aware 9.x.

When I first adopted the Anniversary Edition, there were options that would not stay configured, as I had configured them; there were interface issues, along with compatibility issues. Now, I am frustrated with Ad-Aware 8.x's slow loading of the definitions database, as it has become quite large and appears not to be fully optimized, as it takes minutes for my Ad-Watch icon to appear in my system tray. Keep in mind, before updating the definitions, the Ad-Watch icon loaded quite quickly; now, with the updated definitions database, it takes far too long to load in the system tray. I do not anticipate this has been resolved in version 9.x, as this issue has been around for several versions; but, I am interested in some of the newer protection features.

Essentially, I want to migrate to the newer version, without experiencing any new headaches, as I know the headaches I have with version 8.x. So, I thought I would post this to everyone in the forum and get everyone's feedback. As always, I appreciate everyone's help.

Thank you.

I see you, like me are using XP. I had in the past always updated Ad-Aware to the latest available version. This to aid speed of startup and hopefully improvements to the updating process.

Ad-Aware has now grown out of just being an excellent malware protection tool to a full internet security application with anti-virus engine. You may read elsewhere on this forum of problems of V9 running concurrent with other installed AV products and suggestion that those be switched off or removed in favour of Ad-Aware anti-virus.

Version 9 update started giving me problems due to this additional functionality, clashing with my long-standing AV product even with Ad-Watch disabled. I have reverted back to V8#, which despite its slow loading, is stable and does the job I ask of it i.e. malware search and destroy.

I don't know if I have helped your decision. Edited by headache

Hello, headache:

Thank you for your response; it is greatly appreciated. If you don't mind, I have a few follow-up questions:

--What are your system hardware specifications?

--When you were using version 9.x, did the Ad-Watch system tray icon load up any more quickly than it does in version 8.x?

--Did you notice any program features that automatically enabled or disabled, itself? Did you notice such things occurring, after you had modified any settings?

--Was the definition update process quicker than in version 8.x?

--Specifically, what were the issues you encountered, while using version 9.x?

Again, I appreciate your assistance, headache. Thank you.

@ Voltron,

Ive been using AA 9.x for about a year and I have to tell u the probs with updating (especially auto updating) and the tray icon timing out (or something) are still there. Maybe its a design flaw. I guess u already kno that u should use AA 9.x by itself and no other av or asw.

3 systems used w/ AA range from 1 - 1.6 Ghz cpu, 512 - 1 gig ram, all old XP SP3. If ur a real AA fanatic this cud be good enuf, but im one of many who would rather not be bothered by these things (thinking twice already jst no time though). For me AA grade for protection 8/10 for ease of use/stability 6/10. I want smthing at least 8/10 in both, although you cud do worse, much worse with some other products.

And to further add, if u decide to use AA, 9.x is "much" better than 8.x IMO just use MBAM free with it cz it saved me frm sm that got thru AA.

There has been an update issue during the last month but after a change about a week ago, many reports that the issue has been solved.

[quote]3 systems used w/ AA range from 1 - 1.6 Ghz cpu, 512 - 1 gig ram, all old XP SP3.[/quote]That must be hard to run any modern antivirus program with only 512 MB RAM memory.

[quote name='Voltron' post='125987' date='Apr 10 2011, 02:45 AM']Hello, headache:

Thank you for your response; it is greatly appreciated. If you don't mind, I have a few follow-up questions:

--What are your system hardware specifications?

--When you were using version 9.x, did the Ad-Watch system tray icon load up any more quickly than it does in version 8.x?

--Did you notice any program features that automatically enabled or disabled, itself? Did you notice such things occurring, after you had modified any settings?

--Was the definition update process quicker than in version 8.x?

--Specifically, what were the issues you encountered, while using version 9.x?

Again, I appreciate your assistance, headache. Thank you.[/quote]

Hi Voltron,
I have an XP Pro laptop with about 2G memory. Note I have long standing Trend Micro AV running so have Ad-Watch disabled. When I first upgraded to AAW 9.x it was OK. Then it degraded and stated to hang the PC following def file update. AAW 8x is slow to start compared to 9x but in my case 9x just didn't start after update so slow is better than no. See my original post here:
[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=30806&st=0&p=125298&#entry125298"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry125298[/url]

[quote name='headache' post='126033' date='Apr 11 2011, 11:57 PM']Then it degraded and stated to hang the PC following def file update. AAW 8x is slow to start compared to 9x but in my case 9x just didn't start after update so slow is better than no.[/quote]
I am not sure but it is possible that the changes made on the server last week solved your issue with Ad-Aware 9 and updates.

3 systems used w/ AA range from 1 - 1.6 Ghz cpu, 512 - 1 gig ram, all old XP SP3.That must be hard to run any modern antivirus program with only 512 MB RAM memory.

These are within the AA system requirements: 733 Mhz CPU and 200 MB RAM. Even in 2 of the systems w/ 1 gig ram and 1.6 ghz CPU, the lingering probs are present. In one the tray icon has totally stopped appearing the past few days but aawservice is running in task mgr. Smthng definitely changed in the recent updates cz before I cud update within a limited acct in windows xp, now I can only update in an admin acct. Just waiting for the expiry then i'll decide to continue w/ AA or not.

[quote name='HelenGrace' post='126040' date='Apr 12 2011, 09:36 AM']These are within the AA system requirements: 733 Mhz CPU and 200 MB RAM.[/quote]
Note, the [url="http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_pro.php?t=techspecs"]memory requirements[/url] are "Operating system + 200 MB". I think XP with service pack 3 itself requires 512 MB to run smoothly, and you also need some memory for running a web browser or whatever program you want to run on the computer. With only 512 MB for everything there would be a lot of swapping to and from the hard disk, which is very time consuming.

[quote name='HelenGrace' post='126040' date='Apr 12 2011, 09:36 AM']Just waiting for the expiry then i'll decide to continue w/ AA or not.[/quote]
If you mean that you have paid for Ad-Aware you can use the Lavasoft support to get help with the missing tray icon. See this post by LS Digger Barnes for links:
[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=30887&view=findpost&p=125583"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...st&p=125583[/url]

[quote name='CeciliaB' post='126034' date='Apr 11 2011, 11:13 PM']I am not sure but it is possible that the changes made on the server last week solved your issue with Ad-Aware 9 and updates.[/quote]

OK noted. I may give 9x it another go when I have the time. At the moment 8.3x is doing the job but takes nearly 2mins to startup, then 2 mins startup again after file update.