Sign in to follow this  
maps3333

aawservice.exe

Question

5 answers to this question

Go into Ad-Aware and uncheck or disable all Ad-Aware/Ad-Watch services and protection mechanisms, i.e., Ad-Watch "Processes," "Files," "Registry," and "Network" protection mechanisms. Then, close out the program, along with closing out the Ad-Watch tray icon, by right-clicking and selecting "Close" or "Exit." Then, after a few moments, depending on your system hardware, you should not see the "aawservice.exe" in your Task Manager's list of processes. To double-check your configurations, restart your system, log on, and watch your Task Manager's list of processes. Note that the aawservice.exe process may show up, temporarily, but, it should go away, after a few moments. Good luck.

aawservice.exe still getting loaded into task list and making the harddrive run like a sonofabitch when not told to... Edited by maps3333

Hi maps3333,

I have moved your post from a separate topic to this one since it is about the same issue.

Why don't you want Ad-Aware to protect your computer?

Which Ad-Aware version do you have?

[quote name='CeciliaB' post='127330' date='Jun 8 2011, 01:28 PM']Hi maps3333,

I have moved your post from a separate topic to this one since it is about the same issue.

Why don't you want Ad-Aware to protect your computer?

Which Ad-Aware version do you have?[/quote]

sorry, it can protect the computer but not do what ever it does when I am busy doing something else. I actually think that it doesn't need to sit in memory/stay resident all the time. As I play an intensive online computer game, it gets irritating when the game slows down to a crawl when another program wants to do its thing. I have 9.0.6. I thought I had it 0setup to where Windows would run it daily in the mornings. I just setup a schedule in the Ad-Aware Scheduler. I shall see if that works. Edited by maps3333

Some more suggestions:
You can stop the service by right-clicking the Ad-Aware icon in system tray and select "Exit", and your computer will be unprotected.
You can turn off the system tray icon, that is the process AAWtray, by not selecting "Show notification area icon" in Settings -> Customize.
Lavasoft has a version of Ad-Aware called Game Edition which will let Ad-Aware sleep while playing games, watching movies etc, but it is not freeware.

Edit:
Ad-Aware Pro also has a "Do not disturb mode".