Sign in to follow this  
gerald d.

what does "initializing engine" mean?

Question

i just downloaded the latest free version of Ad-aware. i cant use it because it says "initializing engine" and it is practically useless to me. Ad-aware isnt working for me. please help. thanks in advance.

Hi gerald d.,

Are you sure that you have uninstalled your previous antivirus program completely? Another antivirus program might disturb Ad-Aware.

I also have installed the latest version, and it hangs at initializing. I did have AVIRA, but I have completely uninstalled it using Revo, have also used Hijack This, CCleaner, etc to remove any traces of any past installs. I have tried safe mode,
safe mode w/ networking. All have the same results. I have also attached a complete startup log. I am also posting the same quandary to their forum as well. Has anyone got any ideas on this?
Thanks in advance
Greg
B)

I have a paid version of Ad-Aware pro and I recently upgraded (Ad-Aware prompted me to do so). The prior version was working fine, but now it is stuck on "Initializing engine" (it's been that way for 4 hours now).

This is my only security software.

What can I do to resolve this?

Hi zeta34,

Since you have bought the product you can use the Lavasoft support instead of this forum with volunteers. See this post by LS Digger Barnes for links:
[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=30887&view=findpost&p=125583"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...st&p=125583[/url]

Hi,

Do your problems with "Initializing engine" appear after every start of the computer?

Ever since the upgrade, the Ad-Aware Pro screen always looks like that, even if I restart the computer and open Ad-Aware. I am using Vista Home Edition with all of the mandatory updates installed. It always says "Initializing Engine", even when I leave the computer up all night.

Would it be possible for someone to attach the debug.log for me to look at.

It is located in
c:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs\

Thanks very much
Jeff - Lavasoft

web update 5/3/2011 0000.0000 Initializing Engine and the GUI is not available its as iff its blocked by something.

I start Adware and it will not initialize it seems to be stuck.

Was working fine this afternoon unitl I pressed update.

Win7x64
sp1 Edited by Mastiff

I have moved Mastiff's post with log files from another topic since it is about the same problem.

Hello Mastiff

Could you possibly provide a another debug log, and the time and date that you started Ad-Aware and this problem occurred? (Not the original time and date, just make it happen and give me that time and date)
It is hard to see in this log without a reference point when the problem is initiating...

Thanks very much
Jeff - Lavasoft

Hi all,

Have the release of Ad-Aware version 9.06 made things better?

I have been having this same issue for over a week now. I can't seem to fix it, even submitted a support ticket since I'm a paid user but have received absolutely no response at all. I'm hoping that some one in the forums can help. Please let me know what information I can provide to or steps I can take to help resolve this issue.

Hi Jikari,

I guess Lavasoft appreciates if you attach a debug log, see post #8.
It might be that the Lavasoft support is overloaded at the moment.

Here is my debug.log file. I shut down my ad-aware and re-opened it to get a good log segment. It starts at "DBG [5448] 2011/05/28 08:53:20" Edited by Jikari

Thanks everyone

Still not be able to located or reproduce the issue in how... Will keep trying and get back as soon as I have something.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft

My adaware program is showing me the same thing as zeta (post #4). I cannot seem to get it to work again. I cannot uninstall or change my adaware program because it says that the program is being changed/uninstalled already. I am using the free version. I have tried restarting my computer. So far nothing I have tried has worked.

*update*
3:11pm

I have tried uninstalling adaware again. Now it is saying that it missing a file.
This is what it says:
"The program can't start because mia.lib is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

*2nd update*
3:19pm
Now I think it is trying to decided whether or not to work with me. It just did a library update and now it is just showing "initializing engine"
I attempted to reinstall the program and it keeps telling me that I am missing the library file... now this is starting to tick me off.

I am trying to uninstall and reinstall. I hope this works.

Ok thanks all. I fixed it. thanks for your help. Edited by gigoku

Hi gigoku,

Do you mean that your problem with "Initializing engine" disappeared when you first uninstalled and then installed Ad-Aware again?
How did you uninstall, using Control Panel - "Add and remove programs" or "Programs and features", respectively, or in some other way?

[quote name='CeciliaB' post='127254' date='Jun 5 2011, 04:25 PM']Hi gigoku,

Do you mean that your problem with "Initializing engine" disappeared when you first uninstalled and then installed Ad-Aware again?
How did you uninstall, using Control Panel - "Add and remove programs" or "Programs and features", respectively, or in some other way?[/quote]

It took me like 5 tries to uninstall before it decided to work with me. I did use the control panel - programs and features then uninstall.

That was a lot. If anything happens that you want to uninstall Ad-Aware in the future, check out the topic [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=30850"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=30850[/url]

Hey everyone

We have a theory about what the issue might be, can someone who has this issue please follow the steps below:

1) Right click the Ad-Aware Tray Application and Exit Ad-Aware.
2) Browse to the directory corresponding to your OS:
XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Defs
Vista and Win 7
c:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Defs\

3) In this directory, delete everything [b]but[/b] the "Extended" folder.
4) Perform an update from the start menu.
5) Start Ad-Aware and see if the issue is resolved.

Please post back here if it is resolved, this will let us know if we have the right issue, so we can find a way to fix for everyone who is having the issue.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft

[b]i tried doing as you said but have been unable to find the defs... what gives?[/b]

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='127311' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:48 AM']Hey everyone

We have a theory about what the issue might be, can someone who has this issue please follow the steps below:

XP:
Vista and Win 7

Please post back here if it is resolved, this will let us know if we have the right issue, so we can find a way to fix for everyone who is having the issue.

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft[/quote] Edited by pfish72653

Hi pfish72653,

The folder is hidden and how to select to show hidden files is described on the page [url="http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html"]http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html[/url]

[quote name='LS Jeffery' post='127311' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:48 AM']Hey everyone

XP:
Vista and Win 7

Regards,
Jeff - Lavasoft[/quote]

Jeff.... I followed your instructions with the exact issue and it resolved the problem. Thanks.

[quote name='Kahuna' post='127780' date='Jun 25 2011, 08:01 PM']Jeff.... I followed your instructions with the exact issue and it resolved the problem. Thanks.[/quote]

\hi jeff, did what you suggestted, did the update. But alas, no luck. Still have the problem. see debug log, maybe would help.