Sign in to follow this  
RichW

Full scan is now going on 13+ hours, why so long?

well buddy, in the past, when things like that have happened to me, it was something that i managed to let past my firewall that ate up bandwidth/ memory. my suggestion is this, you run your scan again, if it continues to take that long you have something in there that anti-malware and anti-virus cannot detect (has to be if they wanna keep their jobs). instead of running out and buying new hardware first, try reinstalling a fresh copy of your operating system from your disk (if it doesnt correct it u can always by new hardware later).

if you dont have a disk immediately copy your operating system from the partition its in to a disk, you never know when your hard drive will corrupt and you'll need a new one (saves u from having to buy a new operating system too). it takes me, cause i use to reinstall about once a year because of defragmentation that i couldn't get at (until i found a new program that defragments the operating system), about 2 hours to get from debugged hard drive (100% empty nothing on it) to up and running with security in place and work programs installed. updates take about another 2 hours since i'm running a 10 year old computer with xp pro on it (service packs are a b***h). usually that gave me back my speed, got rid of any problems the "company software" was unable to remove, while making it more affordable to run an already out of date computer. There were occaisions of bad hard drive sectors, "burned out" ram, and even a cpu failure (never had that happen again on any of my comps).

my scan on my computer has been going for 17 hours+ right now

5 year old comp

425 gb out of 500 gb filled

Intel core i3 cpu 3,07 ghz

4 gb ram

Windows 7 64 bit

newest version of ad aware free and for atleast 10 out for the 17 hours the scan havent been minimised

the last 8 hours atleat might be more its only what i have noticed it has been working on c:/windows/temp/............. files

Hi njall,

Are you using Ad-Aware version 9?

I wonder since this is the forum for that version and all answers in this topic is for that version.

Do you have another antivirus program installed?

Which antivirus program did you have before you installed Ad-Aware?

Very long scan time can be observed when another antivirus program, or parts of it, is installed since that program interferes with the scan of Ad-Aware.

ohh dint see this was an old version i was typing in

but my current version is 10.5.3.4405

dont have any other antivirus

¨but have had avg and might have had some McAfee at some point but never really used it so not sure if that is an older computer i had it on

Edited by njall

since it took so long whit to so long whit the temp files i got rid of alot of em and found out that McAfee was actually on this computer so deleted that aswell full scan complet in 3 hours so problem fix

ok I'm having a similar problem but with the USB recovery drive, I booted it just to make sure there weren't any viruses windows couldn't check and its been going for 4 hours now I have about 350 gigs of data and 8 gigs of memory and an Intel core i5 4 core, and a Samsung ssd, why so long?!

Hi Firelord,

USB connections are often slow so it takes long time to read everything on an USB connected storage unit.