Sign in to follow this  
Parkergeek

Windows 7 Security Center errors happening again

I keep getting an alert from the security center saying that my anti virus and antispyware software is turned off. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Ad-Aware Free 9.0 but same problem. I see this has been a problem in previous releases but the forum messages are archived as resolved. But now it is happening again. Can this be fixed?

Hi TheOtherGeek,
Does Ad-Aware has any complaints when you open it?
Can you see any processes starting with AAW in Task Manager, Process tab? Note, you may need to select to show processes for all users.

[quote name='CeciliaB' post='126609' date='May 8 2011, 03:11 AM']Hi TheOtherGeek,
Does Ad-Aware has any complaints when you open it?
Can you see any processes starting with AAW in Task Manager, Process tab? Note, you may need to select to show processes for all users.[/quote]

The Ad-aware user interface opens with no errors and the Ad-aware service also starts with no errors and the aaw process is running.

Ad-aware can also check for and get updates. It appears everything works other than the ability to notify the Windows 7 Security Center.

I also concurrently run Threatfire and have decided to activate the Threatfire option for it to register with the Windows Seceurity Center and that works fine so I will use that as a workaround unless someone can suggest a more direct solution.

Are both AAWService and AAWTray running?

Is Ad-Watch turned on?
It is required that Ad-Watch is turned on before Ad-Aware informs Windows Security Center.

Since no one else has complained lately it is unlikely that it is a common problem as it were in the old topics.

[quote name='CeciliaB' post='126646' date='May 9 2011, 07:29 AM']Are both AAWService and AAWTray running?

Is Ad-Watch turned on?
It is required that Ad-Watch is turned on before Ad-Aware informs Windows Security Center.

Since no one else has complained lately it is unlikely that it is a common problem as it were in the old topics.[/quote]

Ad-Aware Free has worked great on my other machines.

I concluded that there must be some incompatibility between Ad-Aware Free and the special configuration of this particular laptop. So I removed Ad-Aware and installed another solution which runs fine.

[quote name='CeciliaB' post='126646' date='May 9 2011, 08:29 AM']Are both AAWService and AAWTray running?

Is Ad-Watch turned on?

Since no one else has complained lately it is unlikely that it is a common problem as it were in the old topics.[/quote]

Hi, I just wanted to add into this topic that I seem to be having the same issue in Windows 7 Professional. By looking at the Processes, I can see that AAWService and AAWTray are in fact on and working, and when opening the Console Ad-Watch Live! is turned on. In fact, I have even turned off the antivirus program, and turned it back on by clicking the "Turn On Now" button that is in the Windows Security Center, and it still claims that it is not turned on. The attached file that I uploaded with this post is what I am seeing. I know the program is on and running, but it is annoying to see this pop up on the computer.

Hi Inneol,

I will inform Lavasoft and check if they have any other ideas.

I'm having the same problem with Windows Security Center on Vista. Everything seems to be OK with Ad-watch, but Security Center says that Ad-Watch reports that it is turned off.

Hi Carl H,

Is it Ad-Aware version 9.06?
Have you tried to reinstall Ad-Aware?

Lavasoft has released Ad-Aware version 9.0.7 with a fix for communication issues between Security Center and Ad-Aware, see [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=31393"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=31393[/url] Please, update to this version and if you still have issues afterwards return here for further investigations.

[quote name='CeciliaB' post='127933' date='Jun 29 2011, 02:24 PM']Lavasoft has released Ad-Aware version 9.0.7 with a fix for communication issues between Security Center and Ad-Aware, see [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=31393"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=31393[/url] Please, update to this version and if you still have issues afterwards return here for further investigations.[/quote]

I have updated to version 9.0.7 and this problem still persists with windows 7.

Now I only have the AATray process running, i cant see an AAService, why would that be?

[quote name='king_jim84' post='128082' date='Jul 8 2011, 02:19 PM']I have updated to version 9.0.7 and this problem still persists with windows 7.

Now I only have the AATray process running, i cant see an AAService, why would that be?[/quote]

Update: If i close down Adaware completely then restart, the problem is resolved, still no sign of a AAService process though.

Hi king_jim84,

Check that the Ad-Aware Service is set to start automatically:
Control Panel - Administration Tools - Services
Find the Ad-Aware service in the list and double-click it.

You might also try to uninstall and install Ad-Aware again if some other program disturbed the Ad-Aware update.
Uninstallation guideline: [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=30850"]How to uninstall Ad-Aware 9.0[/url]

[quote name='aphanetic' post='128092' date='Jul 8 2011, 06:08 PM']Did this fix the problem permanently or did it keep popping back up?[/quote]

No, re installed the software as advised and the problem still exists. Again, restarting the software does solve it.

It does appear the live protection is working at all times, but it is a bit of a worry constantly being told it's off.... Edited by king_jim84

I understand that you get worried. My contact person at Lavasoft says they are working to find the solution for the persons that still have this issue.