Sign in to follow this  
relaprell

FraudTool.Win32.AVSoft(v) questions

I am using Ad-Aware Free version 9.5.1

This morning a scan found FraudTool.Win32.AVSoft(v). The file was quarantined and I later chose to remove it. I'd like to know how to scan external drives with Ad-Aware to make sure my external hard drives weren't affected. I remember seeing the option to do so before but can't find it now.

In addition, when shutting the system down to finalize the scan, Windows had a message that it would be installing updates files on shutdown. I am still using Windows XP. There were about 8-9 update files. The regular shut down screen reflected as each file was updated by saying for example "File 3 of 9." Is this a normal Windows Update or did it have to do with the infection? I've only seen Windows update files on shutdown once before. About one month ago. Have scanned the computer many times in between with nothing unusual in the scan results.

What does the FraudTool.Win32.AVSoft(v) do?

Thanks. Edited by relaprell

Hi relaprell,

The "Profile Scan" can be configured to only scan the folders you want to scan. A "Full Scan" is supposed to scan all connected drives.

Microsoft released several updates approx 22 hours ago. I guess that your computer wanted to install them. Since Microsoft releases updates once a month it makes sense that you saw the same behaviour a month ago. Maybe you, directly or through another program, has changed the settings for Windows Update during July or early August.

It is not easy to say what FraudTool.Win32.AVSoft(v) does since it is a rather general name, but it is supposed to have something to do with fake/rogue antivirus programs, but it has been reported several false alarms using that name, too.

Thanks CeciliaB for answering all of my questions. I found the profile scan options no problem.

I will check the update settings. This message board is a great service. Helped a lot. :)