Sign in to follow this  
bobov

Ad-Watch Driver for 9.6

I installed Version 9.6. I checked that I wanted the driver installed for Ad-Watch. Now, every time I start my computer, Windows tells me it's looking for a driver that it can't find. This could only be the Ad-Watch driver, since I've installed nothing else.

Was the Ad-Watch driver actually installed? Is Ad-Watch working properly? What can I do to correct this problem?

Hello bobov

If you open Ad-Aware, is the Ad-Watch icon in red? If so, the Ad-Watch driver is installed and working.
If not, let me know and I will tell you how to install it manually.

Thanks
Jeff

The Ad-Watch icon is red. If the driver is installed and working, why does Windows tell me it's looking for a driver for unknown hardware? This started happening immediately after installation of Version 9.6.

Thanks for confirming that Ad-Watch is working.

Hi bobov,
Does Windows say anything more, for example a file name?
Where/When does the message appear?
Have Ad-Aware found anything malicious in the computer?

Hi CeciliaB,

Windows only says it's looking for a driver for unknown hardware.
The message appears when I turn on my computer.
Ad-Aware has not found anything malicious.

Hi bobov,

"Unknown hardware" is probably not a part of Ad-Aware.
Is it possible to find out more in Device Manager( [url="http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm"]http://www.computerh...es/ch000833.htm[/url] )?
Have you connected something to your computer, except keyboard and mouse?
Does the sound and network work properly?

Hi Cecilia,

Device Manager lists an "unknown device" about which it has no information at all.
I haven't connected anything to my computer that I'm aware of.
The sound and network work properly.

Hi, Cecilia,

Searching Device Manager, I found this listed as the "Device Instance Path" of the unknown device: ROOT\LEGACY_LAVASOFT_KERNEXPLORER\0000. It seems this does have something to do with Ad-Aware. I had trouble installing 9.6, and installed and uninstalled several times. Perhaps this is a relic of one of those installations. Device Manager gives me the option to disable the device. Would you advise I do that?

Hi bobov,

Hard to know what is best, it is important that Ad-Aware still works afterwards. I think the safest solution is that you first uninstall Ad-Aware using [url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=30850"]How to uninstall Ad-Aware 9.x[/url], then checks if the driver is still around and then disable it (or even better uninstall it) and finally install Ad-Aware again.