Sign in to follow this  
DPinAZ

Version 9.6 Free - Update Problem

Yesterday I downloaded and installed the free 9.6 version. When trying to update the signature files, several small files got updated very quickly (I have a 20Mbps cable connection), but then a larger file (about 75MB) slows to a crawl and ultimately crashes before getting halfway completed. After trying several times to download this file, I have been unable to complete the update.

I should add, when I originally tried downloading the Ver 9.6 software from Lavasoft, the download was incredibly slow. I ended up cancelling and downloading from one of the alternate download sites - I think I got it from Download.com.

The software appears to be working OK otherwise. Edited by DPinAZ

I have the same problem - definition file download speed is almost zero (I have a download speed of 120 Mbps), and at last it all falls down. Nor would re-install Ad-Aware.
What to do please?

Hi both of you,

I will inform my contact person at Lavasoft tomorrow.

Hi,

Lavasoft cannot see any problems with the update servers at the moment. Do you still have this problem or was it a temporary problem?

Hi

I have just re-installed the lastest version of Ad-aware free, and have had the same difficulty downloading the .sgn file of 79783kB. The download is very slow and it downloads only about 10% before closing down. The actual amount downloading is variable. I'm assuming that it is timing out. This has been the case several times yesterday and twice today. I'm getting close to giving up on it.

Hi howardhx1,

I have informed my contact person at Lavasoft and he will contact the person responsible for the update server. I hope it will be solved soon.

Hi Cecilia,
afraid still does not work, download speeds are close to zero. It does not work nor direct download (from the address http://www.lavasoft.com/single/mirror_download.php?f=UdGW2BN3).

Hi count,

When I try your link, the download speed varies between 10 and 15 kByte/s and the estimated time is 45 minutes. I have an internet connection with up to 8Mbit/s, corresponding to max 800 kByte/s. I have informed Lavasoft.

Hello to all, im also experiencing the same problem as Count and DpinAz. I have just installed version 9.6. When i try to update (the 79mb file ),it stops after downloading less than a 1/4.

Please, test if you can update Ad-Aware now by using the built-in function. Lavasoft has made some changes.

Note, [b]count[/b], that the download link is no longer supported.

Sorry, to hear that. I just got a new report from Lavasoft, and they have now done some more fixes. Please, try again. But the servers are more loaded than usual, why it still might be slow.

Hi Cecilia and Count, i am also still unable to update Ad-Aware. Its good to know that Lavasoft is working on a fix. I have been using ad-aware for a couple of years now without any issues. I hope they will fix this problem soon.

Hi DPinAZ,

I'm glad that it worked for you :) even if there are some more work to do for Lavasoft apparently to solve it for everyone.

Lavasoft will receive some new hardware 5th of January. Hopefully that will be the final solution.

I am also getting the same problem - upgraded on 4th jan from 9.5.1 (had to uninstall/reinstall) - I still cannot update despite trying everyday since then, several times a day.

I downloaded Ad-Aware 9.6 today 6th Jan 2012 and the update does not happen in the same fashion as given above. It crashes after 1 minute and ad-aware also closes. Moreover, Ad-Aware does not auto start despite being pinned to Start Menu. THis is the first time I have experienced such a problem in last 5 years of Ad-aware usage.

Hi manjitwadhwa,

I don't know but maybe the current problems with the update servers gives strange problems when Ad-Aware is installed. Have you had an earlier version of Ad-Aware before the installation today?

still cant update, tried fresh install on one of the 2 machines i have paid pro version on both, no joy, crashes with either manager cant connect or check my firewall for permission, which is bull, since one machine got a update showing on the 5th just fine but wont update now and other was 22 days and wont, and thats the one i fresh installed on, no joy on either machine. so, its not fixed yet,

Hello, In order to try to resolve the problem with updating 9.6, I unstalled it and installed it again.
Now the problem remains. As soon as I try to update, I get a message saying "Error while updating, please try again later.
Contact lavasoft if the problem, persists."
What are the technichians doing? We have got these problems for a long time by now!
Best regards
sabonde

I have similar problems but only on XP & WIndows 7 (64-bit). My Vista installation works fine. First sign of the problem was a message saying that ad-aware couldn't connect to the server (still happens on W7(64)),. Eventually (on XP), I tried to un-install but found that while the link in the Lavasoft folder appeared to work, ad-aware WAS NOT UNINSTALLED and had to be uninstalled from the control panel. After the re-install i had crashes while downloading a number of files when update was activar=ted fron the GUI but I eventually found that it worked fine when activated fron the tray icon. Tried the same on W7 (64), had the same uninstall problems but after re-installation I still got the message that I couldn't connect to the Lavasoft server.

Hi,

See this post by Lavasoft's Andy:
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/32067-ad-aware-96-will-not-update/page__view__findpost__p__131778

If you still have any problems with updating, please follow this post:
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?/topic/32053-web-update-fails-and-extremely-slow-downloading/page__view__findpost__p__131781