• Announcements

• LS.Andy

Support for other products than adaware, ad block, web protection and Web Companion   05/05/2017

Support for the following products is handled by the Lavasoft support team: Lavasoft Tuneup Kit Lavasoft PC Optimizer Lavasoft Driver Updater Lavasoft Registry Tuner Lavasoft Privacy Toolbox Lavasoft File Shredder Lavasoft Digital Lock

For help with these products, contact the support team here: http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sophos

General questions about Ad-Aware Free 10

73 posts in this topic

You are welcome, Gavin2012 :)
It is not that type of sandbox in which you can run, for example, Internet Explorer and be sure that a web page cannot do anything with Windows.

I think that the self defense is weak.I can easily stop all ad-aware processes from the task manager.Is that true or I'm mistaken?

[quote name='Smith999' timestamp='1329724249' post='133324']
I think that the self defense is weak.I can easily stop all ad-aware processes from the task manager.Is that true or I'm mistaken?
[/quote]Thanks, the information has been passed on to the developers.

what will be frequency of auto update in new adware internet security free 10 previously it was twice a week which was a large gap :( .
Somebody previously mentioned no pop up when a threat is detected you should work on this it should show pop up when detecting a threat and auto update. you should provide a offline installer for beta version so that more people can test it and more bugs will be ironed out, web installer is ridiculously slow.I am dying to try out this beta but web installer is too slow for me :( .

[quote name='Smith999' timestamp='1329724249' post='133324']
[/quote]

Hello,

Thank you for the help.

Such processes like AdAwareService.exe and SBAMSvc.exe can be stopped only by administrator. It is not a bug. It can be changed but Microsoft requires that all processes can be stopped by administrator. If you stop AdAware.exe only Ad-Aware GUI will be stopped.

Thanks,
Ann

Hello,

About Real-Time Protection. Pop-up appears onlу if “Prompt User” is chosen in “Suspicious Programs” when you access a threat. You will see four buttons: “Scan” – full scan starts; “Quarantine” – threat puts into Quarantine; “Allow” or “Block” - threat will be allowed or blocked correspondingly, but you will see the popup as much times as you access the threat. If you want the program always allows or blocks this threat, just select the Remember Action check box before clicking “Allow” or “Block”.

If you enable “Gaming Mode” you will not see any popup. If you have set “Quarantine” in “Suspicious Programs”, the threat will automatically be added to the Quarantine if you access the threat. If you have set “Allow” the threat will be allowed. If you have set “Block” the threat will be blocked correspondingly. But in this case you will have as much reports about blocked threat as many times you access it.

Thanks,
Ann

[quote name='megamind' timestamp='1330003495' post='133368']
what will be frequency of auto update in new adware internet security free 10 previously it was twice a week which was a large gap :( .
[/quote]
Hi megamind,

The update rate in the Free version will be the same in the Pro version and that is usually several times a day.

[quote name='LS Ann' timestamp='1330015179' post='133371']

Hello,

Thank you for the help.

Such processes like AdAwareService.exe and SBAMSvc.exe can be stopped only by administrator. It is not a bug. It can be changed but Microsoft requires that all processes can be stopped by administrator. If you stop AdAware.exe only Ad-Aware GUI will be stopped.

Thanks,
Ann
[/quote]
Do not agree.You can never stop processes of Avast, Kaspersky, Panda, Comodo, Symantec...etc.

[quote name='Smith999' timestamp='1330040804' post='133379']
Do not agree.You can never stop processes of Avast, Kaspersky, Panda, Comodo, Symantec...etc.
[/quote]

It will be discussed.

Thanks,
Ann

[quote name='Smith999' timestamp='1330040804' post='133379']
[/quote]
Hi Smith999,

That is some very useful feedback - thanks.

Andy

Hi again! :) I've downloaded archive, containing malware samples, for testing. Tried to unpack the archive with real time detection switched on. During the unpacking, decided to cancel the operation and BSOD appeared.
Screenshot and minidump attached.

Thanks Smith999,

The information has been forwarded to the right persons within Lavasoft.

[quote name='Smith999' timestamp='1330778572' post='133465']
Hi again! :) I've downloaded archive, containing malware samples, for testing. Tried to unpack the archive with real time detection switched on. During the unpacking, decided to cancel the operation and BSOD appeared.
Screenshot and minidump attached.
[/quote]
Hi Smith999,

Thanks for providing the dump file.[list]
[*]If possible, we want to reproduce this BSOD - could you, as accurately as you can, provide the steps to reproduce this?
[*]Which version of WinRar were you using?
[*]Could I get a copy of the archive you tried to unpack?
[*]Just to confirm, the BSOD occurred when using Ad-Aware 10?
[/list]
Could you also change the debugging information from Small Memory Dump to Kernel Memory Dump? It would greatly help in the event the BSOD is triggered again. Thanks!

Andy
Lavasoft Malware Lab

[list]
[*]Which version of WinRar were you using? - [color=#FF0000]4.1 beta x64[/color]
[*]Could I get a copy of the archive you tried to unpack? [color=#FF0000]Yes(link).[/color]
[*]Just to confirm, the BSOD occurred when using Ad-Aware 10?[color=#FF0000]Yes[/color]
[*]password for archive:**
[*][url="http://www.mediafire.com/?7jxnk7ve74lxkgt"]http://www.mediafire...7jxnk7ve74lxkgt[/url]
[/list] Edited by Smith999

Hi Smith999,

Thanks for providing so much information.

Andy
1 person likes this

Latest version installed. Right click scan doesn't show scan progress.

[quote name='Smith999' timestamp='1332169189' post='133632']
[/quote]Thanks, I have reported it to the person responsible for QA.

[quote name='Smith999' timestamp='1332169189' post='133632']
[/quote]I got this message back from Lavasoft:
"Thank you for the help. We were able to reproduce this. This bug was reported to be fixed."

[quote name='megamind' timestamp='1332861651' post='133833']
what safe networking does in ad-aware 10?
[/quote]It is an HIPS that protects processes against malicious and risky actions.
HIPS = Host intrusion prevention system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusion_prevention_system
More description: http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/company/blog/the-new-features-of-adaware-pro-10

I know what is HIPS but their is a HIPS working under real time protection. Is it different from network guard that block connection to ad sites in previous versions of ad-aware.

Is it possible to disable installing module for realtime protection like in previous versions?

Hi Sass Drake,

No, it is not, but you can disable real-time protection after installation.

Hello Megamind,

Please go [url="http://lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_pro.php"]http://lavasoft.com/...d_aware_pro.php[/url] and click on "more info" under feature about which you want to know more.

Thanks,
Ann